macOS 10.14 Mojave

Discussion in 'General macOS and Apps' started by speeds, Jun 5, 2018.

1. speeds

speeds Active Member

Finally, Dark Mode!

kyubi likes this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

macOS Mojave (10.14)

macOS Mojave update announced with dark mode, redesigned App Store, Apple News, and more | The Verge

1. Dark mode
    2. Mac App Store redesign
    3. Apple News, Voice Memos, Home, and Stocks
    4. Desktop stacks
    5. Security controls
    6. Safari privacy
    7. Finder updates
    8. Markup and screenshots
    9. Dynamic Desktop

System requirements (from Wikipedia)

• MacBook: early-2015 or newer
    • MacBook Pro: mid-2012 or newer
    • MacBook Air: mid-2012 or newer
    • Mac Mini: late-2012 or newer
    • iMac: late-2012 or newer
    • iMac Pro: 2017 or newer
    • Mac Pro: late-2013 or newer, plus mid-2010 and mid-2012 models with recommended Metal-capable GPU

kyubi likes this.
  3. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

will have to replace my iMac this year...

4. imart

imart Active Member

The dark mode is nice to have but I wonder if it's worth giving up Sierra for those who didn't even update to High Sierra.

5. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

the end of my MBP :D

6. King

King Active Member

My 2010 & 2011 Macbook Pro won't be getting macOS Mojave.

They will have to make do with High Sierra.

My 2012 Macbook Air & iMac are now the minimum requirements.

Base on the minimum specs it appears to me that they want you to buy a Mac at least every 6 years.

Mojave compatibility
    • MacBook Air (Mid 2012 or newer)
    • MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 or newer)
    • Mac Mini (Late 2012 or newer)
    • iMac (Late 2012 or newer)
    • Mac Pro (Late 2013, plus mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with recommend Metal-capable GPU)
    • MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
    • iMac Pro (2017)
    High Sierra compatibility; Also added years of major macOS support
    • MacBook (Late 2009 or newer) 9 years
    • iMac (Late 2009 or newer) 9 years
    • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer) 8 years
    • Mac Mini (Mid 2010 or newer) 8 years
    • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer) 8 years
    • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer) 8 years
    Apple has historically continued doing Security Updates releases for older macOS versions. An example would be El Capitan with a Security Update two months ago last 29 March 2018. It patched my Early & Late 2008 Macbook Pro and 2007 iMac. That's 11 years of major, minor and Security Update support. :)

To lengthen the life of your Mac increase your RAM to the maximum unofficial supported amount and get an internal 2.5" SSD. Macs with built-in Thunderbolt 1 ports can attach a eGPU with better Metal compatibility.

macOS Mojave moves software updates from the App Store into System Preferences. My sentiment is that putting the update in the Mac App Store was a bit weird.

[​IMG]

#6 King, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  7. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

I tried installing it in my maxed-out 2015 MBA, but no go. Says my third-party hardware (I guess that means my 1TB SSD upgrade) is incompatible. Hmmm.... Might have to wait for my next Mac to try it out.

8. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Moderators: I would like to respectfully request that the thread title be corrected to "macOS 10.14 Mojave". Thanks!

potpot2 likes this.
  9. Nino

Nino Loading...
    Staff Member PhilMUG Admin

Done ;)

Qin Zhi likes this.
  10. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Last hurrah for my mid 2012 rMBP. :(

11. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Heard many horror stories about Sierra (admittedly during its early days) that I didn't bother with both Sierras. Now that Mojave is coming out in Sept., looks like I'll have to upgrade both my 2009 MBP & 2010 MacPro's OS from El Capitan to HiSierra. Hope HiSierra is as stable as El Capitan was for my 2 units.

12. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Fyi, while you can install Sierra to your 2010 Mac Pro; unfortunately, however, as for your 2009 MacBook Pro, El Capitan is the last macOS version that supports it. While there's this workaround that allows you to install Sierra to your 2009 MBP, you can't use (your Mac's built-in) wifi anymore, as Sierra (and presumably High Sierra and Mojave) dropped support for the wifi cards of the 2009 MBP and other old Macs.

VicB likes this.
  13. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

We only have one macbook air now at home which is the early 2011. It seems like High Sierra is the latest it can get to.
    Oh well, might have to look at finally getting an iMac for the growing family. Or another macbook pro when a new one comes out.

For the software update, the real question is - does the gears still turn? :D

14. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarifications @Qin Zhi! Looks like my mid-2010 MacPro is still good for High Sierra. Either the MBP is kept at El Cap or I start looking in eBay for a 2010 MBP. Darn!! Just upgraded the MBP's boot drive to an SSD start of this year! :(

15. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

MacVidCards.com says that "most" of their 5.1 graphics cards will have Metal support (http://www.macvidcards.com/)! I hope my graphics card which I bought from them will be one of those cards. :whistle:

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 1.58.37 PM.png

Soon plan to upgrade to High Sierra then to Mojave at least 3 months after it's release. I usually wait at least that long before installing new OS releases in order for most of the bugs to be sorted out.

16. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

my imac's last update :(

17. darkgreen

darkgreen Member

guess it's time to upgrade my 8 year old MBP. though, i'm glad that my mac mini is still supported.

18. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

finally got to install mojave through a workaround. so far so good.

Qin Zhi likes this.
  19. Edelheid

Edelheid Well-Known Member

I've decided to start from scratch and manually move my files over. I have so much unwanted crap over the years of upgrading that it'd be a nightmare to even try and clean it myself.

Mojave is pretty stellar, it seems to be an improvement already over High Sierra. The Touch Bar no longer becomes unresponsive (occasionally) as you use the volume slider, from the last 48h of my own use it's been fluid in my attempts to reproduce the problem. I'm already pretty happy with just that because this entire time I've been using a third-party app to map my F9 – F11 to perform actions that the touch strip should already be responsible for. I'm hoping they fix the graphical glitch with Safari tabs next.

Other than that, Apple also added a button for Automator "Quick Action" to the Touch Bar. I can see myself using that one to replace the Siri button that almost always gets tapped by accident when reaching for mute or Touch ID.

To be honest, dark mode and refinements made to the Touch Bar, screenshots, are all already good enough for me. My number one desire is simply a performant OS where Sierra and High Sierra have failed me.

I'm really hoping it's Mojave that delivers.

20. VicB

VicB Well-Known Member

I've got a MacPro mid-2010 running on El Cap. Pretty much happy with the performance with my installed apps. Mind you, some of my apps are not updated for High Sierra. Are there any compelling reasons for me to upgrade to Mojave other than having the latest OS on my Mac? My mobile is an Android phone so I've no need for an iOS-Mac OS connection.