MacFuse

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by philpangandian, Oct 12, 2009.

1. philpangandian

philpangandian Active Member

Guys, what is MacFuse? I don't remember installing any in my Mac but when I opened by System Preferences, it's just there... What does it do? Thanks...

2. c_fred_2

c_fred_2 Member

Software that enables you to read\write to other file formats that is not natively supported by Mac OS X. Most popular is that in enables you to use NTFS formatted drives.

3. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

It makes the NTFS formatted external HD to communicate with your Mac OS such as to read and write.

You can enable already on SL without having 3rd party utilities like Macfuse ans NTFS3g you external hard drive NTFS formatted but now set as default.

But readings tell that there are some issues of glitches but still its a start and functional.

4. philpangandian

Wow, NTFS? Nice, thanks. I'm just wondering how it was installed in my Mac..

5. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

It does come with VMware Fusion. Maybe through that.

6. philpangandian

It could be my VMware. OK, thanks...

7. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

How much Vmware Fusion 2 in stores planning to invest any reviews? :)

8. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

VMWare installs MacFUSE to mount/read/write the virtual disks (inside your virtual machine) if you want to access your files in a virtual machine without running it.

VMWare is very good. I recommend running virtual machines off an external HD via Firewire 800 or eSATA for best performance.

9. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

I think around 4k at the Apple Online Store. Around US$80 if you buy through the VMware website. The latest version (3) will be released this October with Snow Leopard 64bit support, and more goodies. Highly recommended for all virtualization needs on your Mac machine.

10. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Uhm very interesting thanks for the heads up still very steep price. :)

Better wait for sale with previous version or the introductory sale but its the least to buy for sure better buy iWork 09, Photoshop CS 4 ,memory modules 2x2 GB,500GD HD and apple care in the near future.

Its only me :)

11. quixilver

quixilver Member

I installed MacFuse but I cant write to a windows NTFS drive

I dont even see it under the applications folder :(

12. arkiesg

arkiesg Member

@quixilver
    MacFuse can be found on the bottom part of System Preferences. Also, MacFuse in itself doesn't enable your mac to write on NTFS drives, but it allows third party applications to do so. You'll have to get another third party application on top of your MacFuse. Try NTFS-3G or Tuxera NTFS found here http://www.ntfs-3g.org/ or Paragon NTFS http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/:)

13. maksy

maksy New Member

You can also format your drive to FAT/FAT32 if you want the drive to be readable by OS X or Windows platforms. The only limitation is the capacity of the hard drive (32GB for major OS or 2TB for some OS).

Hope this helps.

14. quixilver

quixilver Member

Thanks arkiesg! I got confused when I read it the first time. I thought it was a standalone app.

@maksy, I wanted to do that as well but FAT is not very reliable. I think the limit per file is 4GB. Not sure about the HDD capacity limit.

15. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

This is what I know also that when your external hard drive was formatted into FAT32 just like ipod classic the file that you can only save was limited into 4GB.

I'm sure though it was limited into 32GB on major OS?

Kindly educate me with this anyone? :)

16. bon

bon Active Member

17. Paeng

Paeng Member

(Reviving this thread)

do we need this "MacFuse application" in SL 10.6.7? :slanted:

thanks in advance.

18. macuser0

macuser0 New Member

Hi all, I don't want to start another thread on MacFUSE. So I hijacked this one and ask questions about MacFUSE and NTFS-3G.

I downloaded MacFUSE but I found out that I already have one. v2.0.3. Then I decided to use NTFS-3G to be able to write to my 2 external HDD. I installed v2010.10.2 of NTFS-3G, no caching.

Now when I tried to plug my 2 HDD, it said it can't mount the drives. MacFUSE is not available. Is there anything that I've missed?

Installed MacFUSE, check it, it's enabled.
    Installed NTFS-3G, check it, it's enabled.
    Plugged in HDD, can not mount it.

I am new mac user.

TIA

19. empty

empty Active Member

Do you have Parallels installed? I encountered a similar problem with a friends MBP. Parallels installed MacFUSE but she still couldnt write to NTFS drives outside of the windows VM so I installed NTFS-3g. After I did that the NTFS drives would no longer appear. I never got around to troubleshooting the problem with MacFUSE since she needed the laptop for a presentation. I just uninstalled NTFS-3g and instaled Tuxera instead (leaving MacFUSE installed) and it worked fine.

20. macuser0

macuser0 New Member

I do not have parallels installed. I am not sure if MacFUSE is already there before I installed it manually. At the latest, I am the one who installed MacFUSE and then NTFS-3G. I also chkdsk my ntfs hdd in windows to fix the errors if it has errors. But still it can't be mounted.