Macbook White Logic Board Death

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by psychedelic_aya, Mar 27, 2009.

1. psychedelic_aya

psychedelic_aya New Member

First time poster! But I really needed to hear some opinions from other Mac users before I did anything.

I've owned my Macbook White (the 13" one) since June 2007. And I love it dearly! Its my first laptop so I really considered it as my baby. But anyway.

Now, last January 2009 (warranty over, I did not get Apple Care because my pocket savings weren't enough by June 2008) something started to go wrong. Well, an application started to go wrong. Ta-da: it was Quicktime! Just the mere presence of a vid icon that should be run by Quicktime made the spinning wheel come out for an hour or so. Ugh, I tore my hair trying to fix it. I Googled the problem and found that other users had experienced it also, and that there were fixes. So I tried to fix it (reinstall Quicktime, download .pkg fixes, etc). BUT NOTHING WORKED.

So I did the only thing I thought should be done: clean the hard-drive and do a reformat. And guess what, it worked! Everything was running smoothly again. Well, for half a month, at least.

As my friend used iTunes, my Macbook crashed. Upon rebooting, I saw the question mark folder and the no entry sign. Kernel Panic, anyone?

I reformatted again and again (yes, I reformatted twice because the first one was slow, everything kept on hanging, and etc). Upon the second reformat things started to work again, quite permanently (or so I thought).

Then I had my RAM upgraded at iStudio Greenhills (its where I bought my unit). Things started to go haywire again after that: the the fan started to sound like a chainsaw, HD made ticking sounds on occasion, and everything just kept on HANGING and the rainbow spinning wheel grated on my nerves.

Under the rec of iStudio, I brought my unit to Senco Link Tech at Makati and had a diagnostic test run on my Macbook. I kind of rushed them because my mother rushed me, but hey the laptop was them for three and a half working days, so...

They originally thought it was the fan or HD, but after replacing both the constant hanging was still ever constant, so now they say the Logic Board is dying. I don't know if I should believe them or not, but ugh.

I think you guys know how much a Macbook Logic Board costs, and I'd rather buy a new laptop then buy a new Logic Board.

I can't believe all of this started with QUICKTIME. I'm so frustrated.

Anyway, sorry for the long story. But has this happened to anyone? Or... any thoughts on this? I know Apple is great but crap they do screw up sometimes. In my opinion, 1 year and a half is way too young for a Logic Board to die.

2. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

dying logicboards are a mess.. thank god I have applecare!

3. psychedelic_aya

Trufax. Came from iStudio today. We might end up buying a new Macbook White (I'm still unsure of the aluminum one). A new Logic Board costs about 30k php more or less, and the Macbook White nowadays costs 56k php.

...AND WE'RE GETTING APPLECARE THIS TIME ;A;

4. rockophoria

rockophoria Active Member

Get the aluminum macbook! PM Sir Charlie for Philmug discount, a new MacBook cost around 52k am I right?

just add a few bucks you'l get the aluminum one! (Im still in the pigil stage of upgrading my white macbook)

5. MacBert

MacBert Member

The Aluminum macbook 2.0 is nice but since its essentially the same specs as the new white macbook (except the ddr3 ram, frontsidebus and hdd capacity - yeah i know - but these are negligible if you're not a power user) and cost 10K more than the new whitemacbook, I'd rather get the white macbook.

Which ever of the two suits your needs and budget the best is what matters.

6. grimmy

grimmy Member

The logic board is 30k? Wow! Never knew it was that expensive. You can find a pre-owned Macbook white with a few months remaining Applecare at that price.

7. psychedelic_aya

Haha, thanks for the tip! :3 Yeah, I already compared the specs and noticed the DDR3 difference, plus the frontsidebus and the HDD. But the reason why I'm wary about getting the aluminum Macbook is because I've got accessories for the white one (mini DVI, crystal case, new RAM, etc) -- and oh plus Firewire ;A;

But we're still thinking about it. The glass LCD and the black keys tempt me. ^o^

8. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

Had the Logic Board replaced a year ago. It was, yeah at least P30k, i was told. Everything going well since.

Im never really upgraded my MacWhite since I plan to upgrade to MBP before the year ends...

Goodluck with the purchase!

9. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Maybe it's not Quicktime that's the cause but the symptom. I can't imagine how installing software can destroy your board. Perhaps your logic board already had problems and it started with the video card, and that’s why it first showed up with Quicktime.

Anyway, good luck. This is why it's good to have AppleCare. I'm not admonishing you, but it's a reminder to everyone else out there who is considering to get Applecare or not. Masira lang ng isang beses ang Macbook mo (which will definitely happen in a 3 year span). sulit na yan.

In my case, I've had the logicboard replaced, superdrive replaced, magsafe replaced and my macbook case repaired twice, all covered by AppleCare.
    Superdrive pa lang, expect that to fail, and the cost of replacing that is about the same as AppleCare.

Leo

10. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

you should invest with applecare. it really does help alot

11. michelledsbona

michelledsbona Active Member

Sorry, kinda OT. How will I know if the one year warranty will expire exactly? That way I can prepare and save up for apple care. Thanks very much.

And oh, my macbook was bought december 2006 and I passed it on to my brother. I even had its HD upgraded to 320GB and the memory to 2GB. I even dropped it when it was still 6mos. old, actually it was my baby's fault, she grabbed my MB from her crib. Lo and behold, it's still working perfectly. I haven't bought the apple care but now I am thinking of getting one for my MBA.

#11 michelledsbona, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  12. psychedelic_aya

Yep, I knew it wasn't the cause. I've never heard of an app ruining a board, too. As I said, it began with Quicktime. And you were correct in how you put it: it was definitely a symptom.

Thanks for the advice,! ^o^ But yeah, as they say, regret comes last. I was saving up for AppleCare, but my money never reached it on time, and since my parents bought me the Macbook I really didn't want to trouble them anymore by asking for money. ;A; Seems it backfired -- now they're getting me a new Macbook + AppleCare because they know I need it and etc.

But, thank you. I'll be sure to get AppleCare this time! :3

13. psychedelic_aya

You can get AppleCare anytime within the one-year warranty. Check the receipt of your MBA. Ask the store where you bought it if they have any promos re: AppleCare. I think sometimes PowerMac has some, although I'm not sure if that's only when if you buy AppleCare with the unit.

14. spartacvs

spartacvs Active Member

Lesson learned here and next time you should get apple care. I don't care what anybody say but apple care is like your butter to your bread. :) Apple care cost about 8k and compare that to a logic board which cost 30k. Good luck on your next purchase. You should get the white one because it's much cheaper and sexy. If you're not doing any heavy work then the white macbook is ok.

15. psychedelic_aya

Haha, I'll do that at the go signal of my parents. Thanks!

And good luck with upgrading yours ^o^

16. psychedelic_aya

Very true. Thanks ^o^. I'm getting AppleCare this time around. May I ask (to everybody as well, please?): do you know where I can get the cheapest price for AppleCare? You can get it from somewhere else besides the store you bought your unit in, right?

iStudio's AppleCare is about 9k but I remember PowerMac selling it cheaper some time ago... I don't know if that was a promo or something, though. ^^;

17. spartacvs

spartacvs Active Member

Try checking the marketplace here, sometimes members are selling apple care for macbook. You can also try on ebay, they are usually cheaper than the store.

18. civic05

civic05 Active Member

guys, should we rename this thread- apple care 101?hehehe
    anyway, does anyone can really point-out the real cause of having logic board problems?
    is it really a software that can wreck havoc to your trusty mac? hardware? how do we get to know about it having problems,individually, cause we know were all too busy to visit repair centers, and besides having applecare, is there anyway we can prevent it? does running your macs overnight cause of torrent download(cause we only get the right speeed at the info.highway at night time or early morning)can be a killing it softly? concerns me also how the temp.,does our mb's have to really go thru to maintain its stability and durability? if ever does it affect the hardware? .... thanks!

19. psychedelic_aya

You mentioned something interesting.

Torrent dling overnight -- I can't do that anymore ever since the Logic Board started "dying". In fact, I can't do that at all anymore, no matter when ;A;. Torrents just make my Macbook hang. ;A;

And oh I'm not an expert but a tech told me that the temp is really important. That's why they first thought it was the fan that was wrong with my Macbook. Apparently, if the fan is destroyed or not working properly, the heat that the hardware inside your laptop needs isn't satisfied, and then stuff starts to hang. Things can also get fried -- literally.

At least that's what they said. ^^;

And oh, I don't think it was the software. As mod Leo said, it was a symptom, and I wholly agree.