Macbook vs MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alfa, Sep 16, 2018 at 1:04 PM.

1. alfa

alfa Member

I have a 2011 MacBook Air. As I need to change laptops, has anyone compared them? Are they of the same weight and size? I know there are specs but I want to hear the opinion of someone who has seen them side by side

2. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

the macbook is lighter than the air.

i have a 12" macbook bought last december 2017. it's fine but it's kind of annoying that the keyboard isn't backlit.

3. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

With all due respect, the Retina MacBook's keyboard does have a backlight. Either yours is just dimmed, off, or is not working properly. Try doing these:

1. The F5 and F6 keys (shown below) along the top row are the backlight control keys. It's possible that your backlight is off or dimmed. To turn it on or brighten it, press the F6 key successively (i.e. only press F6 without simultaneously pressing Fn) to increase the keyboard backlight illumination (and F5 to do the opposite).

MacBook.jpg

2. In System Preferences > Keyboard settings, try to uncheck, then check, all keyboard backlight related settings, such as "Adjust keyboard brightness in low light" and "Turn keyboard backlight off after xx mins of inactivity":
    Keyboard settings.png

3. If those didn't work, try performing an SMC reset. The SMC (System Management Controller) controls a number of the Mac's core functions, among them being the keyboard backlight, as well as the ambient light sensor, which determines whether to switch on, and if so, the proper brightness of, said keyboard backlight. To reset the SMC, follow these steps:
    • Shut down your Mac.
    • Unplug the USB-C power adapter from your computer.
    • Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button at the same time. Hold these keys and the power button for 10 seconds.
    • Release all keys.
    • Reconnect the power adapter.
    • Press the power button again to turn on your Mac.
    4. Finally, if your keyboard backlight still doesn't work, bring your MacBook to an Apple authorized service center for repair. If it's a product defect, it should be covered by your Mac's standard 1 year warranty (unless you have AppleCare which will entitle you to an extra 2 years of warranty). So better bring it in for repair anytime before your warranty lapses on December 2018.

#3 Qin Zhi, Sep 17, 2018 at 9:13 AM
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    amieldh likes this.
  4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member