macbook upgrade to aluminum unibody:worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by remanthony, Feb 8, 2009.

1. remanthony

remanthony Member

just need your opinions guys. i have an early 08 black macbook;2.4 ghz 2 gig and 250gig hard drive. i use it for home studio recording, photo editing and a bit of video editing. this is my first mac and i really am impressed.

now i have the budget to upgrade to a unibody mac,but im really researching if it's worth it to spend all that cash?or should i keep my old blackbook?

2. MacBert

MacBert Member

The fact that the new aluminum macbook has an integrated nvidia gpu is more than enough to upgrade :) - graphics and gaming are way way better than a macbook or black-book

Plus bench tests show that the new aluminum macbook is alreay close to the speed of last years macbook pro.

I'm already trying to sell my 24" imac so i can get a macbook aluminum. I miss having a laptop and being mobile - used to have a macbook pro. But the new macbook is much easier to lug around than my old macbook pro. If ever I get a macbook aluminum all I'd need is a second widescreen monitor for gaming/graphics work, an external hard disk and it'd be practially the same setup as my current imac :p practically, but not exactly :)

3. mousehole

mousehole Active Member

i believe that based on your needs, the only appreciable difference between what you've got now and the unibody is the multi-touch feature - but software developers have yet to maximize that.

i think what would really help you would be more screen real estate - i'm sure all the little control panels in your audio/video editing are getting cramped on your 13-inch screen. and when it comes to photo editing - of course, the bigger the better.

what i would suggest for you is, either invest in a nice big display (doesn't even have to be apple), or a macbook pro from the previous generation. i don't believe the performance jump from your macbook to the new ones are a big enough deal to invest in.

4. remanthony

remanthony Member

im using a 22" hp lcd when im doin some editing. im not gaming with by book,have the PC and consoles to do that for me. hmmm... thanks for replyin.keep the suggestions comin :)

5. remanthony

remanthony Member

im just curious, what games can you play decently on the unibody non pro version? (in bootcamp windows or mac osx)

6. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member

If Firewire is important to you then NO, the upgrade is not worth it. 2 days into my Unibody and I'm already missing the FW port. Will definitely sell this MB soon to get a MBP.

7. remanthony

remanthony Member

that is a problem i could adjust to because usb interfaces for sound recording are working well for mac. so i guess i can do without firewire...

8. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@remanthony: You could just upgrade to the new White MacBook. Apple's updated it so that it has the new Nvidia graphics card (should allow you to play games just like the unibody) and it has the added advantage of still having Firewire, unlike the Unibodies.

That is, if you can live without the Aluminum body and are content with white polycarbonate.

9. extremeshot

There's your answer then, Unibody is a good upgrade for you. RafC brought up a good point too about the new Whitebooks but I'm not sure you'll really feel that you upgraded if you're coming from a Blackbook anyway.

If you're interested with a slightly used Unibody 2.4Ghz, let me know ;).

Goodluck and congratulations on your future upgrade!

10. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@extremeshot: Yup, he may not feel that he's upgraded coming from a BlackBook. But that's just looking at the surface.

remanthony said "i use it for home studio recording, photo editing and a bit of video editing."

He'll get the same performance of the unibody's Nvidia graphics set (much faster than the BlackBook's Intel GMA). Plus he'll have firewire.

So remanthony, if you can live without metal, but want to have the same graphics performance of the Nvidia graphics set and Firewire to boot; take a good look at the new White MacBook. And it has the added advantage of being less expensive, which you brought up as a concern in your first post.

11. remanthony

remanthony Member

that's a whole new option to think about :) thanks sirs.

12. extremeshot

Actually he already has a 2.4 Ghz processor and 250 GB HDD with his black. The new Whites come with 2.0Ghz processor and 160 GB HDD. Not much of an upgrade there just for the Nvidia IMO.

13. asyong21

asyong21 Member

extremeshot was correct.
    Not much of an upgrade, even if you choose
    the white over the unibody or the other way
    around.

If I'm in your situation ( I got the fund to buy a
    new notebook and I already got the black macbook ),
    I'll just keep my black macbook for now and work more
    harder then buy a 15" unibody pro later ...
    That is, if size doesn't matter to you (15" pro over the 13" macbook )... :cool:

#13 asyong21, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  14. sawtooth

sawtooth Member

if youre not really into games, stick to the black macbook, cause the new unibody macbooks dont have FW ports..only USB... that is if you're using the FW sa recording.

15. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I agree, keep your Macbook black. It is still a powerful and versatile machine. Except for the GPU, there is virtually no performance difference between the two (the alu may be a little faster but its not much of a big deal). :)

If you really want to upgrade. I suggest you wait for the next generation of mobile chips, Nehalem, to come out from intel later at the end of the year. At least by then your upgrade won't be just the GPU or the chassis but the whole package.

#15 Salaryman Ryan, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  16. remanthony

remanthony Member

i was planning on buying a firewire interface for recording...hmmm.
    and i just realized ill be needing firewire for DV transfers...
    and i dont like the white one...
    hmmm...
    im actually almost convinced on keeping the blackbook
    keep the thoughts comin, are there any macbook black to alum 2.4 users here?

17. extremeshot

White (2.4 Ghz, 2 Gb RAM, 160 GB HDD) to Aluminum 2.4 user here so we're 'almost' on the same boat. I miss the darn firewire port! The area that i have really noticed the performance is when rendering videos in FCP. Using the white, the CPU is almost 100% utilized reaching 91 deg Celsius. Whith the Aluminum, 2.4 the CPU is hardly used during rendering and temperature is 55 degrees at most.

But without firewire, that really beats the purpose of better video performance. Since you mentioned that you need FW, keep your black or upgrade to MBP.

18. remanthony

remanthony Member

i edit videos rarely with my blackbook,but would a usb connection to my DV grab the same quality of videos i get thru fw? regarding audio interfaces, im using a usb condenser mic and a usb audio interface and im quite satisfied...so DV transfer is what im concerned about rightnow

19. extremeshot

I guess it depends on your DV camera model because I've seen people swear that the quality is the same. But what I can tell you from experience using my own DV cams is that USB video transfers are crap.

20. remanthony

remanthony Member

why oh why did they leave the fw out?!