macbook unibody too hot

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by turningpoint, Mar 1, 2009.

1. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

guys just wanted to ask what the normal temperature of a macbook? i bought a unibody last december parang mainit nga lang... how do i guage this wala kase akong point of comparison e. pero this is not comfortable kase minsan wala naman masyado nakaopen na apps pero ang init nya. cant even put this on my lap.:( i bought this is pinas iniwan ko ung box and ung or sa pinas dito ako sa singapore ngayon... any suggestions? help? ideas?

2. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

my cpu temperature ranges from 60 to 65 degree celsius

do you have istat on your dashboard?

3. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

60-65? madami na nagrurun na apps nyan? i have istat installed po and i installed istat sa friend ko para may comparison kame.. halos same lang naman ung lumalabas. pero mas mainit talaga ung sakin e kapag nahahawakan ko. napansin rin nya mainit ung sakin :( hirap nito im in sg pano kaya support neto since sa pinas ko to nabili without the OR and all. btw ung 60-65 san un? sa hard drive?:( :(

4. edpinedajr

edpinedajr Member

If it's untolerabble I mean if you can't hold it or can't even put it on you lap, I think that's a sign that the temperature is not normal. Even though you left the box or the OR as long as you have the serial no, have it check with your local apple service provider there in Singapore.

Mine too heats up but it's normal since you're using it and mine is plugged 24 hours charger.

5. bhoyetjumpay

itunes and safari only. the more apps you opened the higher will the temperature will be.

if you want, you can bring your macbook to an authorized apple service center, dont worry if you dont have an official receipt, they will check your serial number on apple website.

what i gave to you is cpu temperature.

6. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

mas umiinit po ba kung nakasaksak ung charger as compared kung indi? actually kaya naman po lagay sa lap. mainit lang talaga baka di ako magkaanak nyan may maluluto heheh... btw ung senyo di talga umiinit? sana nga iaccomodate ako dito :(

7. badw33d

badw33d Member

My colleage has the same problem with his unibody macbookpro, he brought it to the apple service centre and they replaced the logic board, so far, it's okay now. I suggest you to do the same.

8. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

un din po suspetsa ko e.. problem is im here in sg.. one time i went there nagdrop by lang ako and ask the local salesman kung anu kaya problem ng mac ko. he said normal lang daw un... gusto ko sapakin e. pano kaya to? btw the temperature pag dinala ko dun syempre malamig baka sabihin sakin when i go there ayos lang to. hirap talaga... first time ko to own a mac. just switched nung december nakakadisappoint. :(:confused:

9. bhoyetjumpay

i think macbooks has a safety features that when it reaches its maximum temperature it will shut down automatically

10. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

mainit po talaga sya pero ung sa istatpro same lang ung values na naglalaro samen ng friend ko e. btw pag dinala ko ba sa knaila ganu katagal bago nila mapalitan ung logic board.. makukuha ko na din ba within the day... important po kase to sakin... additional question pano po kung may mga installed ako ditong mga apps na alam nyo na para sating mga pinoy na di makaafford makabili ng mahal... kelangan ba inuninstall ko muna to bago ko paayos sa kanila?

11. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

yeah i heard that too... pero tingin ko talaga may sira to... di nya pinapakita ung totoong temperature nung mac ko... by the way sa istatpro anu ung sinasabi mo na 60-65 madami kase dun e anu dun exactly ung temp na titingnan ko... ung fan ko usually nasa 1995 lang -2001 naglalaro.

12. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

ginagawa ko nga para bumaba ung temperature naginstall ako ng smc fan and set this to 6000 rpm... maingay nga lang pero bumababa ung temperature.. is this advisable?

13. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Studies have shown that we should avoid using laptops on our errrr... laps. Mac or not, you shouldn't be doing this if you don't want to adversely decrease your reproduction capability. So much so that you think your Unibody is way to hot for comfort.

Well my wife has the same complaint. She says that the Unibody is hotter that our White Macbook. I'd say I agree because the Aluminum casing absorbs a lot of heat but am not really concerned about the casing heat because that is pretty much expected. I'd be more worried about the CPU temperature and fan speed to which I'm happy to say the Aluminum is cooler compared to the Whitebook.

My CPU temperature right now is 45C with the fan at 1999 rpm using Safari, Toast, and Yahoo messenger. I'm in the Philippines in a non-air-conditioned room. The Unibody is sitting on top of a cheapo coolpad.

14. skinhead

skinhead Active Member

60-65 really? i think it's not normal unless youre running heavy application, if not you can try reinstalling your OSX or check activity monitor and look if there's an app thats eating your CPU. if none change then schedule sa service center na yan.

here's mine on a macbook air Rev A and an iMac, screenshot taken with light apps running like mail safari and adium on a room temperature (no aircon).

iMac
    [​IMG]

MBA
    [​IMG]

15. extremeshot

Supporter

Constant 6000 rpm is not normal. Try closing all open applications and observe. If it is still this way without any running apps, you'll definitely need to visit a Service Center ASAP. Don't worry about the receipt, they should honor the warranty.

16. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

ok po thanks... btw another thing... if dinala ko to sa service center makukuha ko po ba to kagad? i need this kase e sa office lalo na dito malungkot sa ibang bansa. :( mine is 47 degree celcius now. im in an airconditioned room na 16" celcius... pero when i go out e.g. kanina basta walang aircon nasa 60-65 sya nagrurun lang ako ng movi using vlc tsaka yaoo messenger and safari.

17. bhoyetjumpay

@skinhead

how do you place your temperature on menu bar? i always check my temperature thru dashboard on istat

18. turningpoint

turningpoint New Member

oo nga pano po yan atsaka anu po meaning nyan mga ganyan??? pano rin po magpalit ng skin parang sa windows.. kase iba po itsura ng HD icon nyo.

19. extremeshot

Supporter

In the interest of curiosity, I played a video for 5 minutes with Safari, Toast, and YM still running. The highest temp that I got was 54 C. You definitely need to go to a Service Center to have that checked.

@bhoyet
    Use iStat Menus :)

20. bhoyetjumpay

by the way i'm not using a coolpad or something that my macbook on elevate state. my temperature now is 59 degree celsius, with safari, yahoo messenger and itunes (music and charging an iphone). i will try to elevate my macbook and see if the temperature downs.