Macbook Unibody Aluminum SCREEN/LCD replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by koski, Mar 11, 2010.

1. koski

koski New Member

I just thought of this. I know that the screen of the 13 inch Macbook Pro is better than my 13 inch Macbook unibody aluminum. Since the Macbook that I have is already phased out, will I be getting the screen of the 13 inch Macbook Pro should I have my Macbook's screen replaced? :)

#1 koski, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. justinferreros

i think may stock ang apple sa mga older models ng macs and ipods.

3. koski

koski New Member

Do you think so dude? I hope they don't have any. Hahahaha.

Or if they have, is there a way that I could request for the Macbook Pro's screen instead?

4. peppers

peppers Member

I dont see any difference between the LCD display of MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum unibody enclosure, Late 2008 model) and MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009 model), unless they use different LCDs.

They both use " 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors" They both use also same graphics card and range of resolutions.

Maybe its in the calibration of your monitors that differ. Asking for the LCD of macbook pro 13 to replace your macbook 13 LCD is absurd as they are the same.

Another thing...Macbook 13 unibody is not phase out..its supported and apple has all the parts. Maybe you mean, apple stopped manufacturing it in favor of its successor, macbook 13 in 2009.

BUT THE SHORT ANSWER TO YOUR THOUGHTS......IS A PHONE CALL AWAY....call power mac tech, senco tech or whatever reseller youve go there and ask about what was in your mind.

Cheers!!!

5. kalbs

kalbs Member

service center will replace your LCD like-for-like.

6. koski

koski New Member

Hey Peppers. It's not ABSURD. There's actually a difference in the screen quality. I saw it side by side. When you tilt the screen of the macbook aluminum, you would already see the loss in quality. But with the macbook pro's screen, it's not like that. I've also read alot of reviews about the aluminum macbook's screen, and it's not good, and since I have it and I've tried it myself, I know it's true. Aluminum macbook's screen is not as good as macbook air's or macbook pro's.

Yeah, sorry about that, they are not phased out, it's more of like Apple stopped manufacturing them. Technicality aside, you probably got what I wanted to say since you were able to explain it yourself. Thanks!

7. peppers

peppers Member

You can support your claim about the research you've made by giving us a link about those reviews for us to read. Literally, you see the two monitors different from each other inside two different house (one from MBP 13 the other MB 13). But technically they are employing the same LCD. Think about it...if you ask an apple tech to replace your MB Aluminum 13 by the MBP 13 LCD, what do you think he will replace?......the same LCD!!

The output of the video, depends on the display card, the calibration and the interface to the Logic board. Whatever MBP 13 LCD you took to replace your MB aluminum LCD...it will be the same.

Why dont you try to seat two MBP 13 side by side and compare the monitor. Why dont you seat side by side two Mb 13 and also see the LCD monitor difference. If there is no difference on them ..they are calibrated precisely...if they look not the same, they are not calibrated the same.....but comparing MBP 13 monitor to MB 13 monitor, one should expect a difference, because first....they are housed on two different model.

Lastly, why dont you phone any apple service provider and ask the tech whats on your mind....A lot of people here arent technical I believe and might not be able to satisfy probably your inquiry.

After your call to the service provider, please post us their comment to your inquiry so everyone here will benefit..

We look forward to learning more...

Gudluck, pare koy.....

8. koski

koski New Member

Peppers, as per your request, here's the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/21/macbook-and-macbook-pro-review/

But I'll post here the highlights:

First, the Pro. The LED-backlit display is nothing short of stunning here; the blacks are black, the whites are extremely -- some might say excessively -- white, though the color temperature of the display seems to be warmer and more natural than previous iterations. The viewing angle is improved over earlier models as well, and the display actually tilts back and forward at a greater pitch, allowing you to find the right position without too much strain.

Now, the MacBooks are a slightly different story. At the outset, things seem to be the same. Same good, same bad -- but this display is different. We can't put our finger on it, but the panel just seems, for lack of a better word... crappier. The viewing angle is reduced considerably; looking even a little bit off to the side or up above can cause a nasty amount of polarization. The brightness levels also don't seem to be what they are on the Pro.

Now, like what I said, I don't just rely on reviews until I have actually tried it myself and have seen it myself. And I agree with the review because I have seen, tested, and tried it myself. I have friends and colleagues with Macbook Pro 13 inch.

Going back to my original post. I was asking if (wishful thinking) the screen of my Macbook breaks, and I will have it replaced, will the Apple guys replace it with the SUPERIOR screen of the 13inch PRO since the aluminum Macbook isn't available anymore?

The screen of my Macbook has been replaced when it was covered by the warranty. At the time, the 13inch MBP wasn't there yet.

Now that 13 inch MBP is available, thinking aloud, if the screen of my Macbook breaks, will they replace my Macbook's screen with the 13 inch MBP's screen? Again, this is wishful thinking. (and now I know because someone posted that Apple has a lot of stocks for their old products).

It's not absurd at all because the PRO's screen is better than my Macbook's screen. You said it's absurd because you are claiming that the screen is the same? Well, read some reviews, or better yet, see it for yourself.

And you are wondering why I didn't call the Apple guys instead of just posting my question here? With all due respect, what do you care? I find this forum convenient. I decided to try it here first. And who are you to confidently know and claim that people who post here are not technical? Are you the owner of this forum and do you know that everyone who registered is not technical? I'm sure there will be people here who are technical enough or who have tried and had the same thoughts that I have. That's what forums are for.

9. jceealmighty

jceealmighty Member

i noticed this too when comparing mb and mbp's screen side by side. it seems like mbp's screen is better in terms of viewing angle and color (that's one reason why i upgraded. :p)

@koski: i don't think they will replace your screen with mbp's. same thing happened to me last time when i still have my macbook alum. my screen is flickering so i send it for repairs. they replaced the whole LCD unit but not with the recently released mbp's lcd. well, that was when the macbook pro was newly released, and macbook aluminum is still in production. I'm not so sure nowadays. Maybe you'll get the pro if they don't have stocks

10. koski

koski New Member

That's what I'm talking about! Thanks jceealmighty!

11. peppers

peppers Member

Thanks for the post....

I have read the article and heres what I understand.

Let me reiterate that nothing change as to the info I gave you, Mbp and the Mb use the same " 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors"

The difference is in the hardware calibration, dimmer backlighting, and........reduced viewing angle. The reason for reduced viewing angle is cost. The reason for hardware calibration is the interface to logicboard and dimmer backlighting...to cost. Thats why Mb is cheaper than MBP.

Apple strip the display of features because of cost, and I believe, for as long as the interface of the LCD to the logic board is the same, you can interchange them. BUT.....they have different logicboard, different bus speeds due to cost.

If you buy LCD for MBP it is more expensive than the LCD of MB.(parts)

And the reason I ask you to call..is to find out from them and confirm if you can use MBp Lcd to MB LCD, if affirmative, means we will find out that they have the same interface to the logic board. (My opinion to this is they dont have same interface}. Actually you dont have to bring up the topic here, a direct call will end your inquiry because that is truly technical..

Speaking of technical, I didnt say all people here are not technical, I only say alot of members to this forum are not technical. yes there are self proclaimed technical here as you can see in their post, and there are true technical people here and I can sense who they are. I was a guest browsing thru posts before, but I ended up joining because some post are not truly right and misleading.

And about ur personal inquiry..Im not the owner of this forum, Im here to help...if you are offended by my post I didnt mean it....but thats the way I explain things.

So no offense and Im sorry if u are offended....

12. duhmask

duhmask Member

im still scouring the internets if its possible to use a 1440x900 13" LED LCD panel on a 13" MBP or unibody MB.

13. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Ok guys, relax. Take it down a notch.

Having said that, Koski, the highly likely possibility is that they will replace your MB screen with an MB screen.
    If you somehow hit the jackpot and get an MBP screen, then please let us know. Good luck! :)

Leo

14. koski

koski New Member

No problem Peppers, thanks for the insight. I am sorry as well. I appreciate your inputs, seriously. :)

@duhmask, I also would want to have that!

The reason as to why I would want to get a larger Mac notebook is because I find the 13inch MB or MBP screen resolution limiting. I actually put in the dock at the left side of my screen because I find it annoying and distracting at the bottom because of limited resolution. But I really don't want to get a larger notebook because of the weight. So having that resolution on my 13 inch MB would be perfect! Please give me an update when you've found the answer.

15. duhmask

duhmask Member

@koski, will do, i am still on the hunt because even if i have already resigned to getting a 15" MBP when the new revisions come out, i would still like the portability of the 13".

#15 duhmask, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  16. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

This is an interesting topic, one that I believe can be discussed dispassionately without sounding like you're listening to a lecture from a curmudgeonly professor.

To unearth some more facts, I went to my favourite website (www.everymac.com) to check the specs of various MacBook and MacBook Pro models. @koski's MB, an aluminium unibody, is at its newest version, designated as MacBook5,1 – the late 2008/aluminium model. Humbly, I present the display comparison between three representative models:

[​IMG]

All three models appear to have the same specs until we come to two points of divergence: the color gamut (60% greater in the mid-2009 MBP) and the maximum installable RAM. The latter may or may not be deemed relevant because the video cards installed share the main memory. I do not have any further opinion regarding this variable.

The '60% greater color gamut' claimed by Apple for the mid-2009 MBP is quite interesting — it leads me to ask: Is the 60% bump achieved via software or hardware? From the software school of thought, I am led to believe that this is possible because Adobe RGB has a greater color gamut than sRGB (HP, Microsoft) by manipulating the color profiles alone. On the hardware school of thought, however, I came across this June 2009 article about Sharp increasing the color gamut of LCDs (no mention of LEDs in this article) by using five primary colors instead of the usual three (RGB). This suggests some kind of hardware tweak, a new kind of technology that Apple must have availed of for the MBP.

I do not wish to make a definitive stand either way (as @peppers is wont to do most of the time), as I am not a technical person (I just want to read and practice critical analysis) but I am merely suggesting that there could most likely be a physical difference between the LEDs supplied in MBs and MBPs and that the latter may be more expensive. The difference is visually represented by the side-by-side comparison in the Engadget article cited by @koski. Although the generation of models may be different (the Engadget article is dated October 2008 after all), the LEDs may really be different from the MB to the MBP.

17. peppers

peppers Member

Good Morning [email protected] I used to teach in a University before and ....through the years I trained people.... so pardon me if you find my post " sounding like you're listening to a lecture from a curmudgeonly professor". I apologize for sounding like that ..but Im not as to my intentions.

Id like to thank you all for sharing your thoughts... and again, Im sorry if my posts are offending.

18. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Well, I used to be CEO of a multinational drug company, and I also 'trained' people. More than 'train', I also motivated, inspired, created leaders out of ordinary employees, led by example, modeled proper behaviour, challenged people's paradigms, pushed the envelop, broke down walls and prejudices, made people work together productively, earned respect and admiration in the company and industry by sheer dint of performance and results. Despite this, I have never sounded high and mighty, know-it-all and absolute God to my people and colleagues. I believe in humility and a genuine desire to listen rather than talk.

Please respect other people's opinions and viewpoints. We cannot be right all the time. Knowledge is not cast in stone: it can vary in context; it is time-based; it is both explicit and tacit, individual and shared (communal) and most important of all — knowledge cannot be absolute.

19. mig

mig Active Member

I think the easiest way to find out would be to identify the panels/ used on the 2008 MB and the 2009 MBP. They normally have 2-3 types per model. I'm 90% sure they're different and the 2009 models use a superior panel, although I wouldn't discount the possibility that the 2009's panel can be used on a 2008 model.

No chance of Apple replacing your screen with a 2009 one though. Its like-for-like or same-generation when it comes to replacements. If you're willing to spend the cash, buy a screen for the 2009 model and have a service center replace yours. I'm willing to bet it'll work, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: Here's proof that they're different. These are panel numbers found in the 13" models. Each panel number has a corresponding LCD model that you'll have to track down. I think most people prefer the 9CBD screen on the 2009 model. Not sure which is more preferred for the 2008 model though.

2008 Panels
    9C8C - AU Optronics
    9C89 - LG Phillips

2009 Panels
    9C9E - Samsung
    9C9F - LG Phillips
    9CBD - LG Phillips
    9CA0 - Chi Mei
    9CA1 - AU Optronics

20. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Hmmm, Apple uses Chimei panels pala… that's great for Chimei's street cred! (And it also tells me that Chimei IS an LCD/LED manufacturer, not just a company that rebadges someone else's panels.)

Great sleuthing, Mig! Where'd you get the info?