Macbook submerged in flood

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Chipstah, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Chipstah

Chipstah Member

Ondoy made a fish out of my mb. I think its dry already. Is it worth bringing to a service center and have repaired and checked atleast?

Any suggestions aside from Powermac? Even if it were a individual who knows how tofix macs, I am willing to have it checked.

I live near Bonifacio Global City.

Thanks!

2. raze94

raze94 Member

sorry for the loss but dont waste your time with powermac. you can leave the mac at digital hub in market market and they can send it to vira mall or you can take it to vira mall yourself. please keep us posted if the unit can still be salvaged. good luck!

3. Chipstah

Chipstah Member

Thanks raze94. Is Digital Hub Charlie's too? I tried asking them if they can service mb and they said no. I guess I can suggest that they bring it to Vmall. Thanks!

Any other people who had the same experience as I with their MBs but have tried having them repaired, but not by Powermac?

Thanks!

4. raze94

raze94 Member

yes it is his. well, if they say that it cant be serviced then most likely its not serviceable anymore. anyway, if it was my macbook i would not stop at least till one tech takes a look at it.

5. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

iMac submerged under floodwaters. Brought to service center, they said not covered by Applecare (which I totally accept). They said corrosion was already evident in the logic board.

Made a plea with Apple Singapore over phone and email and they said cost to repair is 95% of the cost of a new one. Conclusion: they can't accomodate my request.

6. Chipstah

Chipstah Member

Raze, they did not see my mac, just asked them if they can service macs there. Will try again.

Paparazzi, that's what I am scared of, corrosion. Thats the same culprit that made my LCD tv remotes trash.

Thanks.

7. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member Supporter

From Chipstah's post, it seems more likely that the person he/she spoke with at Market Market meant that the branch does not service Macbooks, instead of meaning that the laptop was not feasible to repair :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, there we go (See Chipstah's post above this one).

8. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

@Chipstah - yeah my LCD TV's remote was also a big victim of corrosion. Re iMac, it's one big paperweight now.

9. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

had my previously submerged uMBP serviced at a shop at gilmore. it's now nearing 2 months since i brought it to them and still no news if they can still revive it.

i just bought another uMBP (don't want to go back to windows anymore :p) last week since i'm in dire need of a laptop for work. both of my bonuses for this year went to purchasing MBPs. crap.

10. RC

RC Active Member

@Chipstah
    You should have brought your unit in as soon as you've found out that it was submerged in liquid...

Simply letting the unit stand and dry out is not always that best solution...

If the unit had been submerged or spilled with any type of liquid other than clean water, it should be disconnected, taken apart and "washed" before letting it dry out...

Anyhow hope you get your Macbook checked soon!

11. KiDKUMAG

KiDKUMAG Member

Does the rice technique also work for water-submerged macs?
    :D

12. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

What you should have done right after the flood was to submerge it in clean water with the battery removed. After which you can have someone take it apart and clean the unit further with certain chemicals.

13. moliro

moliro Member

soaked electronic devices should be disconnected from its power source at once, take it apart, clean it immediately before corrosion sets in, u can use an old toothbrush and lighter fluid cuz it dries up fast... since warranty is no longer valid, u can take it apart yourself, watch some friendly tutorial videos on youtube... i had done this a couple of times before but usually with mobile fones and desktop computer...
    if ever malubog din sa baha ung macbook ko, probably gagawin ko din to since mataas naman ang success rate nito... besides i have nothing to lose since soaking ur macbook wet is probably one of the worst case scenario... and i won't be paying 95% of its cost for repair either

14. Chipstah

Chipstah Member

Thanks for all the advise.

Too bad I was not able to attend to my MB soon after it swam in muddy flood waters. Had to attend to the necessities. Hard if everything you had was submerged in chest deep water (house is a bungalow), including my 2 cars which are both still in the casa. Not even living in the house yet untill now.

I guess I would just need the experts take a look at it. If its a goner, then I was happy to have had it for almost 2 yrs.

I just need to know if there are expert service centers out there near makati aside from powermac and charlie's stores.

Thanks.

15. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Hi Chipstah, i remember a very good notebook repair shop that i could recommend to you, assuming that all else fails you could give them a shot, heres their info:

HOKAGE STUFF
    Opens Monday to Saturday 11:00am - 8:00pm
    Tels. 377-8139 / 0917-3556550
    Sunday (by appointment only)
    3RD floor, Taft Central Exchange/Atrium Hotel Building (formerly EGI Mall)
    Gil Puyat cor. Taft Avenue, Pasay City, Philippines
    (Beside LRT Gil Puyat Station, Infront of JAM Transit Terminal)

16. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

My wife's black MacBook was also submerged in floodwater. This happened in her parents' house and we were away on honeymoon. Her sister brought it to a service center. Only the hard drive data was saved. The other components already showed signs of corrosion/damage. The optical drive went kaput as well.

Instead of having it fixed, she just bought a new Mac when we visited the Apple Store in NYC.

17. raze94

raze94 Member

if you dont have your hd backed up maybe just recovering the contents will ease the pain a bit.

18. Ohmme

Ohmme Member
    Supporter

Since it is already out of warranty, you could try to dis-assemble the parts on your own, this will enhance your knowledge/skill too on how Apple built their products without worrying damaging it.

19. neilc

neilc Well-Known Member

Wow, former MazdaClub buddies, Ohme and Chipstah!

Chipstah, I saw a repair shop in Megamall about 3 stores from Infomax that says" we repair even Macs." Its the store that I think does painting of laptops. I guess its worth a try asking them if they can have a look.

20. freelancer

freelancer Active Member

My iMac was submerged and deemed useless. We eventually just bought a new one.