Macbook shuts down while booting up

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by blackscepter, Sep 3, 2009.

1. blackscepter

blackscepter Member

Okay, so that night of Friday, I was Photoshop-ing and an error just flash on the screen saying that my scratch disks are full and can't continue using the brush tool (same as with other tools I used - my HD is almost full.) So I just shut it down! Last night I tried turning it on, it goes in that normal cycle of booting - white screen with the gray Apple logo with a rotating circle below it. And before completing the boot up, it just shut down!

I thought that maybe the filesystem directory or the OS is corrupted why it doesn't wanna continue booting up. Definitely its not the HD, 'cos it doesn't have that noisy sound or something.

Here are some first aids that I did but not successful:
    1) Boot up through the Leopard Install Disk. I did the usual Disk Utility (Verify & Repair), but it FAILED.
    2) Tried to reset the PRAM (Command-Option-P-R) FAILED.
    3) SMC Reset (Remove Battery and AC-Press and hold POwer Button for 5secs.) FAILED.
    4) Re-installing OSX (tried but didn't pursue for it might erase all my data)

Only thing left for me to try is to have a Firewire target disk. I need my files there, my portfolio, photos, important docs, music library, contacts -waaaaah my life is there! I need to recover all my files for I don;t usually use Time Machine.

Now what I have in mind is just to pull out the stock 80GB HDD from my Macbook, use it as an external drive and get my files since just the directory of my OS is corrupted and place a 320GB HDD inside.

What do you think guys? Any Suggestions?

Thanks

2. blackscepter

blackscepter Member

SNOB naman mga Philmugger

3. macjerk

macjerk Member

Baka busy lang sila bro.

Go for the 320GB HD as you suggested and please do invest on a larger capacity HD for backup. It would be more helpful in the future. Try to backup or use Time Machine next time. :)

If you can. Try to uninstall less used applications.

4. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Could work. Should work. Of course, the transfer of files would be easier if you have a Time Machine backup or a clone of your hard drive (which you can't do, given that your MB won't even boot properly). Still, your idea should work. Just make sure your MacBook 2.0 can handle the 320GB hard drive. (potential heat issues come to mind. again, this is just a possibility)

Hmmm... Easy with the comments there.