MacBook Pro with 13-inch Retina display charging problems?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by glennasea, Oct 18, 2017.

1. glennasea

glennasea New Member

I have a MBPr early 2015 (which I bought only several mos after it was launched) and only after a year of usage (mind you, I treated it like a baby), it's battery got fried and had to replace it with a new one. Now only after 10 mos of having the battery replaced, I'm having difficulties charging it. It would charge intermittently and I always have to move the magsafe head around just to make it charge my laptop. Also, one thing I've noticed is sometimes my laptop would charge without the light on my magsafe and sometimes, my magsafe would light on just for a while then it would switch off but would continue to charge my Macbook... I haven't tried using other Magsafe adapters tho... Has anyone experienced the same issue with their rMBPs/Apple adapters? If so how did you get yours fixed?

SMC reset didn't work... :( Already tried it multiple times... And there are 0 debris on my Magsafe port.

2. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

It's highly likely that the problem lies with your MagSafe adapter. I have the same problem with the old MagSafe adapter of my 2009 MBP: it lights up when plugged to my Mac, but does not necessarily charge it, as about 60% of the time when you click the battery indicator on the menu bar it says "Power Source: Battery", and I'd have to wiggle the connector or reconnect it a few times before it actually starts charging my Mac. Solution: I bought a new MagSafe adapter and everything's fine.

Recommendation: try plugging another MagSafe adapter. You can borrow one from a friend or bring your Mac to an Apple authorized service center nearest you and try their adapter. If your MagSafe adapter is really the culprit, buy a new one.

Important reminder:
    if you really need to replace your MagSafe adapter I strongly recommend that you buy only an original Apple MagSafe adapter. To be sure that it's original, buy it only from an Apple authorized dealer (such as BTB, PMC, etc.) or directly from Apple thru their online store.

By all means avoid replacement adapters, "class-A" adapters, or the so-called "OEM" MagSafe adapters. A faulty MagSafe adapter can seriously damage your Mac and can even be a fire hazard. This can happen with a faulty MagSafe adapter:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [Source: Unibody MacBook Pro MagSafe burns laptop and user. While it's unclear whether the adapter that burned in that article is fake or original (most likely an original), the point I want to stress is that, if such can happen to original adapters, the same thing can (and perhaps more likely to) happen to fakes or replacements--especially those that sell for nearly half the price, as in the case of cheap knock-offs, I doubt that their manufacturer's quality standards are at par with those of Apple's.]

#2 Qin Zhi, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    glennasea and Edelheid like this.
  3. glennasea

glennasea New Member

Thanks for the advice Qin Zhi ☺️ I truly appreciate it. I feel so relived knowing that you had yours fixed simply by getting a new MagSafe adapter. I was afraid that I'd have to break the bank to have the batteries/logic board on mine replaced again. (P. S. The pics above sent chills to my spine and bec of that, I sure ain't taking any risks in buying any class-A adapters anytime soon) Will be dropping by PMC tonight. Thanks dude!