MacBook Pro Unibody quality control issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by randyrivera, Feb 9, 2009.

1. randyrivera

randyrivera Active Member

Well FYI lang, I just upgraded my Macbook Black to MBP Unibody a few days ago. Then one time, just as I was appreciating the beauty of the aluminum, found out that there's something weird. The distance of the LCD lid is unevenly spaced when closed. Of course this does not in any way affect the performance of the machine, but hell, if you paid 115k++ for an item, you want it as perfect as it can be. I was there at PowerMac MOA so I had it checked na rin. They confirmed that it really is misaligned. Oh well good thing I bought this unit locally and that I am entitled to a 7-day outright replacement. So tomorrow I am getting my new unit.

My trip to PowerMac was only supposed to have my Macbook Black serviced only. Just so happened that I had the MBP with me so had it checked na rin. Anyway, my Macbok Black had white pixels pestering me for the past 9 months. Also had paint chipping and the case had gaps dahil daw baka mali ang pagbuhat ko ng macbook. Whatda??? I told him that I take care of my gadgets very very well, as in. (OC ako.) Ni-never ko nga yun pinapatong sa kung saan saan at laging balanced ang pagbuhat ko nun. Well anyway....

Buti na lang, Apple's service is top-notch. They pulled out my unit and promised that they will replace it asap.

Mabuti na lang there's such a thing as 'warranty' or '7-day outright replacement'. Without it, ewan ko na lang. So from now on, I will be getting an Apple Care na rin.

Now about quality control.... hmmmmm. I know Apple quality is one of the best but seems like my fate with my past two notebooks was not really ahhhh... nice. I've had multiple laptops but never had those issues. All of them (HP, Compaq, IBM, Acer, Dell, etc.) are still alive and kicking up to this day with no problems at all. Ok the Dell died na pala. Would also like to mention about my mighty mouse. After one month of usage, it stopped squeaking, it just died. So brought it for service, but I got the new replacement after 2 mos pa. I did not use it after getting it since I preferred my logitech mouse. 2 weeks ago, I decided to use it since sayang naman and I connected it on my Apple Alum keyboard. Then after using it for 5 days, it died. hahaha. It is now at the service center and I am waiting for the replacement. Well oh well. The only Apple product that I have that is working flawlessly is the iPhone 3G. Two months of use and it is STILL ALIVE!

So yun. Apple's after sales service has got me covered so no worries there, it's just that I hope next time I won't be having issues anymore. Being careless with my gear and breaking it is one thing, but having a unit that has a factory defect is another thing.

#1 randyrivera, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. randyrivera

finally got my macbook pro replacement. and so is the replacement of my third mighty mouse.

then yesterday powermac called me and informed me that the LCD of my macbook black would cost me 19,000.00. i told them that it is still under warranty as per verifying it on the web. they said they needed the receipt, but told them i lost it already. so i called apple singapore to verify my warranty and indeed it is still under warranty. i called up powermac again to tell them that my unit is indeed still under warranty and they could verify the warranty status of my unit by calling singapore.

aren't they supposed to know the exact warranty expiry? heck we can even do it on our own online. how can they not be consistent?

#2 randyrivera, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. docnico

docnico PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Pull it out from PowerMac and bring it to Digital Walker Machines. I had my Mac serviced in DW and they just checked the warranty status online. No receipts needed.

4. chairman

chairman Moderator
    Staff Member

Yep, been having my units serviced at DW Machines. No problems whatsoever. Try bringing it there.

5. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I concur. I have no complaints whatsoever regarding Charlie & his staff.

6. randyrivera

oh shooot. didn't know that digital walker is also an authorized service center. all the while kala ko powermac lang.

sige will try to follow up and if powermac still insist on the receipt that i lost, i will pull out the unit from them.

should i be complaining this to apple asia? has anyone experienced this also?

7. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Haha... Aside from PowerMac, DW, Senco, and The A Shop are all authorized Apple Service Centers. ;)

8. randyrivera

hehe. now i know that i have choices pala.

anyway, i just called powermac again, and this is what they told me. they said that they based the warranty status of my unit at gsx.apple.com . they said this is a different site where we usually check our warranty status. so all the while we have two dates of warranty expiration pala??? but apple asia (singapore) did come out with the same info as i got online. it is totally not consistent talaga. we don't know now what info should we trust. so again, it boils down to the receipt again. e paano naman kung nawala ko na receipt?

#8 randyrivera, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  9. MacNotApple

MacNotApple Member

powermac is giving you some BS. from my experience, they also have unit handling issues.

i suggest you take yours elsewhere, like DW. :)

10. randyrivera

haaaaaaaay!!!

finally, i talked to the area manager of powermac. she looked into the details of my issue then after an hour she called back.. she was apologizing. apparently, one of their staff mis-read the serial number in their AR (acknowledgment receipt). instead of letter 'B', they read it as number'8'.

she assured me that the repair will be expedited and will be hearing from them soon.

@macnotapple, now the only thing that is worrying me is the unit handling issues :(

11. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member
    Supporter

Hmm. Isn't this enough grounds for Apple to revoke PowerMAC's Authorized Reseller status?

I mean, this is practically the same as what happened at Ynzal.

Back on topic, good to hear that you got your MBP Alum unit replaced, and your MB back in fighting form. :)

12. randyrivera

thank you barre05, glad to have my units replaced and fixed (soon). After sales service - one of the reasons why I use an apple.

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

PowerMac Center still have unit handling issues? I recall this was really a problem a couple of years back - I knew a friend who had her Apple portable scratched by a careless tech but just last year, another friend testified that he saw (at least the San Juan service center branch) the PowerMac service crew handled a customer's Macbook Pro with great care. I guess it is still inconsistent.

14. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

This is why it's really better to call the Apple Care Hotline first (+180014410234, free from any PLDT phone). This makes sure that it's being tracked by Apple itself, and the service center just follows whatever Apple says. This is the way to get Apple on your side and make sure things get done.

Leo

15. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

This is why you should not go to PowerMac for repairs. They took forever to fix my friends laptop and when the unit was returned, it was full of scratches plus they were charging "deposits" for repair (even if the unit is still under warranty). I suggest you bring it to digital walker or Senco and the other authorized service centers but definitely NOT powermac. Heck they even have the worst service one could possibly imagine from an apple reseller.

16. remanthony

remanthony Member

too much bad feedback against powermac. with al these problems you've encountered,a formal complaint to apple would revoke their license

17. randyrivera

OT: my oh my, just found out that the latest release 2.21 broke my iphone. it's just minor but its a thing i use most of the time. after doing the upgrade, the speakerphone is not working anymore. just found out that i was not alone. see here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8928729

18. randyrivera

Another update, PowerMac just informed me today that my Macbook Black is now ready for pick-up. That was fast. I don't know if they just work fast or baka inasikaso lang nung area manager nila. Or maybe it's just because they were monitoring this thread. I really really hope my unit comes back scratchless and flawless (just as I left it.)

#18 randyrivera, Feb 19, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  19. danotingc

danotingc Member

i concur with the latter. i'm this close to giving up all hope for powermac. arrogant staff, careless techs and so much bs with customer service, as if utang na loob mo pang you're asking them for help--- this is not what apple resellers are supposed to be. why are they still there?

20. randyrivera

tsk tsk. too many bad experiences with PowerMac here.