macbook pro screen freezing while watching videos?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by einjhel, Jul 22, 2009.

1. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi, i've noticed for a while now that everytime i watch videos on my macbook pro, using vlc player, sometimes the video picture would stop, and or stutter, if it would stop, the audio would go on, but the video remains stop, after a few seconds, before the video would resume, the video would be distort or scrambled for a few seconds before it would come back to normal, it had been happening for some time now, i thought it was just the software, so i tried another player, the mplayer for mac, and it still would stop at random times. but last night, after stuttering for every 10 minutes while watching the video, the screen on my macbook pro freezed. i cannot do anything, but my mouse is movable, and the caps lock on the keyboard still lights, but i cannot do anything but to do a hard reset, it is the first time that has happened to me, the screen freezing, and i don't know if it has anything to do with the stuttering of the video. please help po,

2. angel_benet

angel_benet Active Member

can you give us an idea about your setup? meaning, which mbp do you have (year, processor, etc.)

3. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi, i bought my mbp in july 2007, i think it is the santa rosa kind, with 15" 2.4ghz, 4gb ram, 160gb hd, Geforce 8600M GT.
    sir, i hope you can help me, i don't know whats the problem here, if its the software or the hardware.. thanks

4. angel_benet

does this happen to all videos you watch, on all players? does this happen on quick time too?

5. einjhel

einjhel Member

the stuttering happens on all videos i watch and on all players, but the freezing only happened last night. i'm not using quicktime because it wouldnt play on quicktime, said it needed some codec or something? but i've been watching movies using vlc and mplayer since i bought it july 2007, and this happens only recently, ..

6. angel_benet

one more question which might be really obvious but thought i'd still ask, have you restarted the mac? and have you downloaded all software updates?

if the answer is yes to both, please check this link out:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

you may need to bring this to an authorized apple service center for a free fix.

7. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi, after i tried the hard reset, which it restarts, my mbp did not freeze again, but i'm afraid of it happening again in the future.. yes, i've downloaded all the software updates..

8. angel_benet

observe it throughout the day and if the problem comes back, keep in mind that your mbp might have the video card issues in the link i gave above. bring it to an authorized apple service center asap.

9. einjhel

einjhel Member

thanks so much, will do that...

10. angel_benet

you're welcome. please update us on the developments! :)

11. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Make sure you also install Perian and Windows Media Components for QuickTime. They're both free and will allow QuickTime to play more video file formats.