Macbook Pro Retina Issue ( Image Persistence / Screen Ghosting )

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ygee, Oct 12, 2012.

1. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

I have been reading the original / longest apple forum thread, and YES this is still happening.
    just a summary from the apple forum:

ALL 13 inch macbook pro retina have IR.
    ALL (or almost all) LG screens have IR
    Some Samsung Screens have uneven tinting (i.e. lower half is yellowish while upper half is bluish)
    Some Samsung Screeens have even tinting (whole screen is yellowish)
    Samsung screens have no IR, only tinting issue.

that forum is just so full of rants i am even wondering why other forums / sources / pages / websites / reviews dont even know/notice the IR.

2. miggyhipolito

miggyhipolito Active Member

Anyone with a detailed explanation on how to check the screen brand (LG or Samsung) of late 2013 rMBP?
    Will appreciate those with a helpful reply. Thanks! =]

3. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Checked mine and thankfully no ir issues. However, is it possible to have no problems now, but for the ir issue to pop up later on??

4. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

I strongly suggest you get it replaced while you still have warranty. It will get annoying to look at.

5. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

I am not sure if this still works. They say it doesnt work on the 13 and 15 with no
    Discreet gpu

From the forum. I heard people eventually get ir through the months / years. Also. Some get only slight ir at start then eventually becomes very noticeable.

6. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Thanks for the reply. Did the terminal check and I have the LG screen. Shoots. Guess I'll be getting Apple Care for sure since the screen's a ticking time bomb.

7. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

if you read the apple forums regularly, youd be scared so much you dont want to buy anymore. but reading other forums like here in philmug, people seem to not notice or not bother the issue.

i was thinking that maybe people in apple forums rant just every issue even the slightest IR. if it is tolerable then i guess it would be ok. but well every one of us wants the product we purchase to be perfect, specially expecting it to be an apple product

anyway im just waiting for my BTO 13, rMBP from BTB. im not sure what will happen regarding ir but i guess this is my gamble

8. linkk

linkk Active Member

i have the IR issue on my rmbp. i did the IR online test after a minute or less only, the IR is already very obvious. I did not dare complete the testing(recommended 5 to 10 minutes) for this might result to a permanent damage to the screen.

9. bev028

bev028 Member

hi mig, sorry that i post this here. i cant send a private message to you it says
    mig has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

10. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

I dont think it would damage your screen, if it would. then that is a better sign to use the warranty for screen replacement.

11. linkk

linkk Active Member

i decided to sent in my rmbp for the IR issue, apple changed the whole LCD screen. I did the IR test online again and now no more sign of it :)

12. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Do you guys think this is a temporary anomaly? It's only visible with brightness 0 and I just bought this last month, so thinking if I should bear with it since I need my laptop for work. Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 9.20.45 PM.png

13. ment

ment Active Member

I guess the issue still exist as of the moment? even with newest Macbook Pro ?

14. vsperalta

vsperalta Member

any new command to check on the lcd manufacturer of a 13inch rMBP late 2012? command "ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6" doesn't seem to work anymore. :)

15. linkk

linkk Active Member

i think LG already fixed the IR issue, my previous screen was LG with terrible IR and apple replaced it with another LG screen and this time with no hint of IR. bought my rmbp late 2012 if that helps.

#75 linkk, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  16. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

It still exist with the latest 2013 rMBP. LG did not fix it. It is still there. Maybe just a little less noticeable.

ALL 13 inch suffer from IR. All 13 inch has only LG screen. Tested it on mine. But to me. Its just not that noticeable.

I would prefer an IR over a samsung screen that has non uniform
    Yellow tint

Btw i think only 15 inch or samsung panels experience the yellow tint. Either uniform or not.

17. linkk

linkk Active Member

i see, guess i'm lucky that they changed mine with a good screen..

18. isee12dots

isee12dots Member

do you have the 15" rMBP?

15-inch has 2 screens:
    LG - which has IR
    Samsung - which has no IR, but sometimes has even/uneven yellow tinting.
    if you have even tinting - you can just calibrate the screen using tools such as spyder.
    if you have uneven/gradient tinting - you should have this replaced.

13-inch has only LG - which has IR.

I have IR on mine, but i really DONT MIND it, as it is barely noticeable.
    only time will tell if this will get worse or not.

19. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

Sadly, my 13" Retina MacBook Pro (latest) I just bought this year from Beyond the Box has this problem. I love browsing a lot through Safari and my windows are mostly always has a fixed place. After at least about a minute of browsing and you switch to the Dashboard, the ghosting of the Safari window and Twitter (I put them side by side) will appear on the grey background. You can even read tweets. And when I work in Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop (all having grayish UIs), it can get really annoying. And I'm afraid of it getting even worse as the Mac gets older.

I'm from Mindanao so I emailed BTB about it and even sent photos of the problem. Sadly, it seems they will only rely on Apple's image retention test which, he admitted, no one ever passed so far for all those who reported the problem to them. From what I've read on Apple support forums and MacRumors forums, Apple's test is just running a checkered pattern for 3 minutes and then displaying a black screen. Your problem will only be acknowledged if you can see something on the black screen which isn't always accurate and not very reflective of typical use cases. Disheartening and frustrating especially for people like me who has to either ship their unit or go to the store myself without any assurance that this problem will be acknowledged and only rely on a impractical test that doesn't let anybody pass.

I love Macs and Apple but I'm starting to think they're losing their touch in their products and after-sales service. I'll probably, as my last purchase for anything Apple related for now, get an APP for this rMBP. Not because it's an awesome warranty extension but because I'm not confident with the quality of the hardware anymore.

20. RiverSong

RiverSong Member

Hell. I just asked a friend to buy me an rMBP last week.:mad: