Macbook Pro Retina Issue ( Image Persistence / Screen Ghosting )

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ygee, Oct 12, 2012.

1. ygee

ygee Member

Hi Everyone,

I was able to first read the problem here in the forums, so you probably already know about this issue.
    I decided to check whether my screen was LG or Samsung, and it turned out to be LG.
    After knowing about this issue, and knowing that my screen is LG,
    I didn't do any tests since I found the test to be tedious and doesn't solve the fact that my screen is LG.

So I went with my daily computing downplaying this issue, thinking that maybe not all LG screens have that problem. Weeks or maybe a month after reading the issue, the problem became conspicuous.

I first saw it when I updated to OS 10.8.2, with a linen background in the installation screen, I can see a very large lighter square in the center. At first I thought maybe its part of the design of the linen background, but then I saw some texts, and remembered the Ghosting issue.

After that, I downplayed the issue again, but time went by, it became more frequent.
    I even read the Apple Support regarding the ghosting issue, and followed their preventive measures.
    But then, even though I didn't leave my computer, and just doing some normal browsing in Safari or normal workflow, it still makes its presence known, which is kind of irritating considering how expensive the computer is.

I know in the US, you could easily replace it for another screen, but here in the Philippines, would it be possible?
    have anybody done it?
    I already have it for several months now, but the issue just appeared recently.
    And if I bought an Apple Care, will I be able to replace the ghosting screen even 1 year after I had the issue?
    Yes, I'm asking "1 year after" because right now, it is still tolerable, but I'm beginning to think it will worsen overtime.

Hope there's a few out there who share my sentiments :)

2. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Call Apple Support at 1-800-1441-0234. That's a toll free call from any PLDT landline. They'll be able to help you.

Leo

3. garrizaldy

garrizaldy Member

I only experience this image persistence when I try the checkerboard test at the moment I don't find it that much of an issue but yeah MBP are not something you can just buy at the store on a daily basis, should I still have it checked? What are your thoughts?

BTW the unit I got also have the creaking issue like a loose screw in the bottom right that I had it fixed via
    1 . calling apple support
    2. received an aussie accent tried three times to ask for a case number before he finally provided me one.
    3. Went to DW Greenhills told them my issue provided the case number I was asked to return in an hour.
    4. Left my unit with them and walked around checking for stocks and prices of the new iphone 5
    5. After an hour got my unit back fix.

4. ygee

ygee Member

Thank you, but is there any other way to contact Apple Support? we don't have PLDT or landline for that matter.

Also, now that I've experienced it further, I think the ghosting happens even in just less than 5 minutes of usage if I have a strong white background, like when doing graphics on white canvas, or doing excel.

5. Polaris

Polaris Member

I have the ghosting issue and it's REALLY bugging me. Sharing the same thoughts as OP, especially that it might worsen over time. Will try calling them up and hoping for a fix done the same way as garrizaldy's. Thanks!

6. ygee

ygee Member

I have already contacted both Power Mac Service Center and Digital Hub Service Center,
    and they seem to be open to service ghosting issues, which is good news.

The only problem is it would take at most 4 weeks for the repair,
    so I better get all my works done before giving-up the rMBP for diagnosis, maybe on November.

I'll try to post an update if my rMBP's screen got replaced because of ghosting issues.

By the way, you can find the list of Apple Service Centers and their contact numbers here:
    https://locate.apple.com/ph/en/service/?pt=4&lat=14.7405501&lon=121.02628000000004

7. Polaris

Polaris Member

Is there no way that they can order the part WITHOUT you leaving the machine behind with them? It's just gonna sit there collecting dust for most of the time anyway. Also, I've sold my older MBP already. :(

8. ygee

ygee Member

Yeah, I was hoping for that too, but both Service Center said that it's part of their SOP :(

But maybe they have exceptions if your computer is your lifeline? 8)

9. Polaris

Polaris Member

Yeah, I would even agree to paying the cash amount of the repair as a refundable bond, in case they think I would not show up once the part arrives.

10. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

I also have the ghosting issue on my MBP, and I'm not at all bothered, but I will have it checked by apple in the US. Also, if the 13"MBP's specs are decent enough, this baby just might be the youngest rMBP in the marketplace (if not the first). ;)

11. mslortualazo

mslortualazo New Member

So is the ghosting issue a hardware defect? Shall i/we be worried about it? I also am experiencing the same issue with my mbp. It's the only unit I have now and cant work without it for a month!! :(

12. Polaris

Polaris Member

Have you guys tried calling AppleCare Phils? We can perhaps bring up the issue with parting with it. In my opinion, it's horrible customer experience to have their new flagship laptop and have it taken away from you for about a month not long after :(

13. philmugkho

philmugkho New Member

Does anybody fixed this issued here in the Philippines ? I also encountered this problem Guys. Please Share. Thanks ...

14. iancaldo

iancaldo Member

Do you think this issue will still be persistent for the new 13" rMBP, or is it just the 15" rMBP? I read an article that LG, Samsung, and Sharp will be the manufacturers for Retina display for the new 13" rMBP.

15. garrizaldy

garrizaldy Member

This is starting to bugged me when i'm working on with apps with dark background like Sublime Text 2, iPhoto, Aperture and TweetDeck.

16. ygee

ygee Member

Yes, same as mine. It mostly appears when working with Illustrator which has a grey background, and it also appears on some web pages with dark backgrounds.

I haven't submitted my unit for inspection yet since it's my primary computer >.<
    I'm hoping to be able to surrender it this december or january.

17. Polaris

Polaris Member

Quick tip -- Senco + Apple Asia support. My total downtime: overnight :)

18. arvindelacruz

arvindelacruz Member

This might help:

Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays

[h=1]Avoiding image persistence on Apple displays[/h]In-plane switching (IPS) technology is used in today's most advanced displays, including the Apple Cinema and Thunderbolt Displays, as well as the displays built in to iMac and Macbook Pro with Retina display computers. IPS technology enhances the viewing experience by providing full 178-degree viewing angles in all directions without inducing color shift. This makes IPS displays ideal for observing content with multiple people, and provides pristine viewing characteristics for image, print, and video production workflows.
    On an IPS display, when an image such as a login window is left on screen for a long period of time, you may temporarily see a faint remnant of the image even after a new image replaces it. This is referred to as "persistence," "image retention," or "ghosting." This is normal behavior for an IPS display, and the faint image will disappear over time.
    You can prevent image persistence by using the display sleep feature to turn off the display when it is not in use. You can also use a screen saver to make sure that a static image isn't on the display for long periods of time. Both of these features are on by default in Mac OS X, but you can adjust the settings as needed.

To prevent image persistence, enable the display sleep feature:

1. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences, and then click Energy Saver.
    2. Click the Battery tab (if using a notebook).
    3. Set the "Display sleep" slider to a brief interval of time (such as 15 minutes).
    4. Click the Power Adapter tab and make the same change (if using a notebook).

If you see a persistent image on your screen, you can use the screen saver to eliminate it:

1. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences, and then click "Desktop & Screen Saver."
    2. Click the Screen Saver tab.
    3. Choose a screen saver.
    4. Set the "Start screen saver" time to be shorter than the "Display sleep" and "Computer sleep" settings in the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences.
    5. To clear the persistent image, allow the screen saver to run for approximately as long as the image was being displayed.

19. ygee

ygee Member

Whoah! That's great! I'm envious
    But what do you mean by "+ Apple Asia support"? You contacted both Senco and Apple Asia?
    and did you have a backup of your computer data before sending it for repair?

20. garrizaldy

garrizaldy Member

Is this an Image Burn issue?