Macbook Pro, only one magnetic hook is sliding down when closing the lid

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by einjhel, Jan 27, 2009.

1. einjhel

einjhel Member

hi, good day to all.

i just noticed yesterday that when i closed the lid on my 1 year and a half old macbook pro that only one black magnetic metallic hook is sliding down when i am closing my macbook pro, when it is supposed to be two, because diba there are two black hooks that goes down that hooks to the magnetic latch, but mine is only one... it's working fine naman po, but i'm a little bit bothered in the fact that there is only one hook working, i'm afraid that na pag bumigay yung isa, wala na talaga,. but other than that, there are no problem naman, my macbook pro is closing properly and all. but i'm still bothered so this morning, i took it to senco link, since i still have apple care to have it checked, after checking they said that to be able to have the two hooks working, the lcd have to be replaced, BUT , they will have to check with apple if they will allow to replace the lcd with this kind of problem. i have the feeling that they are also reluctant to replace the lcd, and they said that they will email me na lang in two days regarding the answer of apple.. my question is, if they don't replace the lcd to have the hooks working, is it ok to leave it alone na only one black hook is working? if so, i'm a bit worried that na baka ok nga ngayon, but baka when the time comes that my apple care expires which is in july 2010, tsaka baka bumigay yung the other remaining working hook. thanks so much in advance, sorry po for my bad english.. thanks... hope somebody can reply...

#1 einjhel, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

3. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Just to be clear, einjhel, do NOT disassemble the mac yourself to keep your Applecare. :)

May I suggest you call Applecare at +180014410234. It's a free call from any PLDT line.
    You'll be connected to the call center, who will give you a reference number and track your service.

When you bring it to the service center, give them the ref number. This ensures that ALL necessary service will be done on your Mac.
    You are entitled ALL repairs on your Mac, no matter how small, as long as it's not your fault or just cosmetic, which it doesn't look like in this case.
    Sometimes even if it is your fault or cosmetic they'll fix it anyway, but that's more the exception than the rule.

Good luck!

Leo

4. barre05

barre05 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this reply made me curious about the coverage of APP. If it's cosmetic, like a ding on the top cover of my MBP, (I don't know how it got there, I just saw it there when I got back from Singapore), will the APP cover/fix it? Thanks, Sir Leo.:)

5. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

Ah yes. Sorry about that. I also do suggest that you do not do this to your MBP.

I only did it to my laptop because it was old already and was merely a spare.

You should definitely have your AppleCare take care of the problem.

6. einjhel

einjhel Member

thanks po so much,.. i will definitely call applecare. kasi it's been a week na, and wala pa ring tawag or email sakin ang senco, so kanina, i tried to followup, yun pala meron na palang reply daw ang apple, they need pa raw more photos, need raw buksan yung mbp ko and picturan yung loob para for approval pa raw ng apple, i told them na pag di pala me tumawag sa inyo to follow up, di niyo na me ccontakin. why po ganun, parang they took my case for granted kasi gumagana naman daw yung mbp ko ng maayos, (baka iniisip nila hook lang naman, gumagana pa naman yung isang hook) i don't know. nainis lang me kanina...

7. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Hi Barre05, I'm not sure. My black MacBook developed a crack and they replaced the topcase. While I was in the US, my wife's iBook keyboard had a key that popped out and they replaced it on the spot in the Apple Store. They didn't even bother checking for the serial number.

So I guess your mileage will vary. Dings I have a feeling is not covered.

Leo

8. LeoCastillo

LeoCastillo Maestro
    Staff Member

Buti naman medyo naayos na. Having said that, please know that English is the official language in PhilMUG. Puwedeng magtagalog from time to time, but please no text talk. Salamat!! :)

Leo

9. shaven

shaven Active Member

is this a 24 hours toll free number?
    i was trying to search for this number in their website but i cant seem to find it.