Macbook Pro Late 2011 RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ChrisBelison, Oct 4, 2016.

1. ChrisBelison

ChrisBelison Member

Hi! It's been a long time since I posted anything here. Just dropping by to make an inquiry if it is still advisable to have my late 2011 MBP's RAM upgraded? I've been on 4GB ever since and it's been doing great except for the last five months wherein it started to get a bit sluggish. I also observed that ever since it became slow, it wouldn't allow me to record stuff using Garage Band or any other audio recording application.

I have plans of getting a new MBP by next year but I would still want to keep this one since it still does it job fairly well. I'll probably use it as a CPU for the monitor in my room! Ha ha!

It'd also be great if y'all can suggest shops or centers near Calamba, Sta. Rosa - Nuvali area to have my MBP upgraded.

Thanks!

christianz30 likes this.
  2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

If you haven't done so and would like day and night difference in performance, I suggest you go with an SSD upgrade as well. RAM upgrade is a must if you run many and resource hungry apps at the same time.

You can order from Louie or ayoscomputer of tipidpc.com for mac certified RAM chips and install them yourself. It will be cheaper that getting them from authorized service centers. Or from my own experience, get the compatible Crucial brand chips that may be available near your area.

Note: I'm not connected to Louie or ayoscomputer.

christianz30 and ChrisBelison like this.
  3. christianz30

christianz30 Active Member

Hi,

I was lurking but I found out that I have a late 2011 MBP as well... was wondering if you have an idea of how much it would cost to upgrade the RAM from 4GB to 16GB and to an SSD. I'm also wondering if it is safe and is recommended? (Right now I'm barely using that model since I'm using an early 2015 model but i want to revive my old one since it runs on i7)

4. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

^ The upgrade was well worth it and will make your MBP run like new. My upgrade to 16gb RAM and 256gb SSD cost around 10k if my memory serves me right.

pael, christianz30 and ChrisBelison like this.
  5. ChrisBelison

ChrisBelison Member

Thanks for the response! Will definitely consider upgrading to SSD as well.

6. iJav

iJav Active Member

Check out this thread to get more ideas on upgrading your RAM and SSD. :)

ChrisBelison likes this.
  7. ChrisBelison

ChrisBelison Member

The website says my Late 2011 can hold up to 8GB of RAM. Can I increase it to 16GB?

christianz30 likes this.
  8. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

^ Yes you can upgrade to 16gb. Mactracker and I myself can confirm that the actual maximum RAM upgrade size is 16gb but apple only declares up to 8gb for the 13" models.

ChrisBelison and christianz30 like this.
  9. ChrisBelison

ChrisBelison Member

I see. I'm imagining the upgraded speed now and it's making me even more so excited! Ha ha! Thanks for the help! :)

10. ChrisBelison

ChrisBelison Member

Btw, where or how can I reach Louie? Thanks!

11. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Ayoscomputer's contact number as posted in tipidpc is 7092535.

12. b0gni

b0gni Active Member
    Supporter

Upgraded an MBP Late 2011 a few weeks back. Parts bought from Amazon - $70 for the 16GB RAM and $140 for the 500GB SSD. Tutorial for the DIY upgrade found online.

Boost in performance is remarkable!

ChrisBelison likes this.
  13. ChrisBelison

ChrisBelison Member

Thanks for the tip! :)

14. mmanson

mmanson Member

my mbp is also a late 2011 model and yup, was able to upgrade it years ago to 16gb. And based on your first post, i would suggest getting an ssd to to really feel the difference. Upgrading RAM won't actually help in your current problem (sluggish performance after a while). it could be a hard drive problem.