Macbook Pro (Early 2008) Suddenly Kernel Panicked and Now Won't Start Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by Erred, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Erred

Erred Member

Good day!

I own an early 2008 MacBook Pro (the non-unibody with multi-touch support). I got it around February of this year..
    A friend of a friend sold it to me after weeks of using, so basically is second-hand.

When I got it, the first problem I had with it is that the iSight Camera is not working. I have tried various solutions and tests, but I just concluded that the explanation for its state is best described by this user on another forum :

The software that Apple uses to check the camera is iChatAV. If that does not see the camera, then the camera connector should be checked...or the camera is simply bad. It's also possible that the OTHER end of that connection (the logic board) may have to be replaced...
    Booting to another drive may help, but software that operates the camera (and should sense the camera) is the best check (iChatAV)​

I have not consulted any Apple Store (and I am currently in the Philippines , Davao City specifically, that is why I am not sure of the technicians here... there is no Apple Store in Davao) because I thought I could just live with it.

Last May, when the 10.5.7 update rolled out, I also started experiencing display blackouts: when I put the laptop to sleep by closing the lid, the Apple logo on the cover doesn't turn off, and the machine gets very hot. When I wake it again though, there is no video on the display.
    Miraculously, after doing some permissions repair and housekeeping on the MacBook, this problem vanished.

Then, just the other night, while I was watching this video in iTunes, the Mac had a Kernel Panic (the whole screen dims and there is this multi-language text telling you to shut down your computer). We should note that I was running it on a full charge, maybe 90-100% battery left. This was the first time I had a kernel panic on this Mac, but since I have experienced it on my other Mac in the past, I dutifully shut the computer off by pressing and holding the power button.

I then tried to turn the laptop on. When I first pressed the Power Button, the Mac started its hard drive and optical drive (I could somehow hear it) and chimed. The chime however, was obviously stopped before it was completed, and the laptop suddenly turned off.

When I tried to turn the laptop on again, there is no chime, no video. The Sleep Light Indicator (SLI) turned on a full brightness, then dimmed. After a few seconds, the SLI would suddenly turn off (and I think the laptop turns off too, because it sounds the same when I would normally or force turn off my laptop before).

I noticed another thing about it; when the laptop is charging, after turning off first (as described above), the SLI would turn on again but is half-dimmed.

In both cases, whether it's charging or not, when I close the lid, the SLI would shine brightly.

I tried the SMC reset already, but nothing changed. I can't zap the PRAM or perform any keyboard shortcut on start up because the laptop won't even go past the chime. The keyboard does not respond (the CAPS key doesn't turn green).

I tried switching and/or reseating the RAM, but to no avail.
    I have not done any upgrade/modification to the device, so I don't think that the problem was caused by the hardware configuration.

What seems to be the problem of the laptop? I really need to get it up and running, since most of my school work, files, books, and references are in this laptop; it's my primary school work machine.

Could this somehow be related to the failing NVIDIA chips?
    I have the display problems, and then the suddenly not starting up problems as well...

I would like to post this question here first before contacting the Apple Certified Service Provider/Distributor in the locality (which is something I doubt about because there are no Apple Stores here...)

Dagdag ko lang, maganda ba ang reputation ng Service Center ng Apple dito sa Davao? Do they do justice to the consumers? Meron kasing iba, manloloko lang, they tell you sira ang unit mo pero actually, they just try to get more money from you. Kaya nga I did some research muna baka yung NVIDIA chips ang may dahilan ... Do they give free replacements ba for the logic board?

Thank you for paying attention to my problem.

Have a good day!
    Kevin E.

2. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Why don't you try them? Just get their opinion. And if you are willing to come to manila, have it checked here. Does it have Applecare?

3. mish

mish Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

4. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

I hope you saved your precious data on another hdd...

5. hubes

hubes Member

Since you're in Davao you can bring your Mac to Powerhub. It's located at the ground floor of Chimes Specialty Store. Their phone number is 082 226 2864. Powerhub will forward the unit to Digital Hub's main service center, iRescue, and we'll take it from there. It's possible that your unit is affected by the NVIDIA issues that have plagued some of the Early 2008 MBP's.

6. Erred

Erred Member

@ijingo : nope , no apple care though .. ill try checking out microwarehouse muna (technician is on leave raw, having a conference in cebu but will be back sa lunes... the people seem to be very friendly and accommodating though :p ). or i'll be checking out @ powerhub as well, as suggested by @hubes.

@mish : i did scour discussions.apple.com ... i've read the cases of some hundred other MBP users but they were either too vague or not the same as my case . so i posted a new question and was suggested to just see a technician (haha . maybe i really wanted to know for sure there was nothing I could do to revive the MBP . ahaha)

@Treb22 : NO . that's why im starting to get worried (i have references for almost all of my classes in that laptop ... huhu)

@hubes : will be either calling or going there tom. do you work there ? if so, may i ask a question ? do you check the unit @ the store or it will be checked pa when you forward it na ? medyo makulit ako eh . i wanna know firsthand what really happened to the computer .. i wanna see the testing too (a la Genius Bar sa Apple Store) haha . is iRescue out of town ?

thanks for answering guys :p

7. hubes

hubes Member

I work at iRescue and we're at the 3rd level of VMall in the Greenhills Commercial Center. The unit is diagnosed here although the technician at Powerhub should be able to resolve minor issues. Testing of units with symptoms like your unit often takes time so I don't think you can watch the whole testing process (assuming you were in Manila). By request, we can work on a unit in front of the customer if it is only a "quickie" - like upgrading the RAM.

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I second this. I had several very good experience with them. They are careful with the equipment they repair and very professional. Your Mac is in good hands.

I hope your Mac issues get resolved soon.

9. nnchong

nnchong Member

The people at iRescue are very professional... I second Salaryman Ryan... ;)

10. cxareigne

cxareigne Member

My MBP also died a month ago, I was on my way to Europe when the screen suddenly died.. It does turn on and you could hear the chimes but the screen was just black. I didn't have time to have it check since I was on a vacation. When I got back a week ago, I went to Powermac to have it checked the technician said its probably an lcd problem.. and he told me that it would cost me 30-40k. I never heard of this NVIDIA issues that have plagued some of the Early 2008 MBP's. I bought mine in the states APRIL 2008. I wonder if the link that Salaryman Ryan applies here in the Philippines as well? and where should I bring my baby?...i'm missing him already.. please help :(

11. cxareigne

cxareigne Member

@ERRED

I wonder if you had yours fix already? Coz i just encountered exactly the same as yours...

12. Erred

Erred Member

i'm so sorry for this late late late late post , but i just got mine from Microwarehouse ..

It was a LOGIC BOARD failure . : (
    After two weeks of being with the technician , my MBP seems to be doomed for good .. well at least until I get it fixed .

The technician said that MacBook (the 13-inch one) logic boards cost around 30K ... and he suggested that rather than paying for a replacement part for the MBP , i should just get a new one .

Apparently , after reviewing my first post , i forgot to do another simple test:
    When you turn your laptop on without any RAM installed, there should be beeping or the white light on the latch lock should be blinking .

So ... when it doesn't blink .. It's most probably a logic board problem .

@cxareigne how is your MBP now ?

13. xepheryfc

xepheryfc Member

is this out-of-warrant?
    if it's not, replacement of the logic board would be definitely free
    but since you live there in davao, you should've considered hubes

like what he said, he works on v-mall, that's where i got my replacement for my iPod
    for free, take note

14. Erred

Erred Member

@xepherryfc
    I am actually getting a second opinion , I think .
    Yes, it's out of warranty , as I've said it's semi-second hand. Either way though , I think Apple wouln't acknowledge this logic board thing though .. Or so I thought. Haha .

Taga san ka pala ? And when did you get your iPod replaced ?

15. uber_wafu

uber_wafu Member

Great! let me join the club, as i am having the same dilemma with my MBP 2.4ghz non-unibody with NVIDIA8600GT. I brought it the other day to Digital Hub, but they couldn't do any tests since there's no chime and the screen's dead. I called up Apple
    Support for Asia to appeal my case since im also out of warranty and wasn't able to purchase an AppleCare (3 months lapse) for my MBP, then the customer care representive asked for a release form from the technician who diagnosed it, so im going back tom to Digital Hub Rob Ermita to get an official one :) One good news is that Apple actually admitted that those MBP's (2007-2008) 2.4 ghz and 2.5ghz equipped with the NVDIA 8600GT has a real issue and that they will be shouldering the expenses for the fix and repair of your unit even it's out of warranty, they actually issued refunds to those who had this issue prior to the press release of Apple in regards with this NVIDIA problem. Mine is just 3 months out of warranty so it's very eligible and im still not losing hope. I just feel bad that "your logic board is the problem" turned out to be a very convenient excuse for technicians who just cnt seem to point where the real problem is
    especially with this kind of issue. It's specifically hard to pinpoint which chipset has the problem if you have a dead screen. The Nvidia8600GT is a part of the logic board, so even if in any case your logic board is indeed "broken", that only means that the culprit could still most likely be the NVIDIA8600GT, as admitted by apple.
    I guess we just have to be patient and just try to push this issue like those who have succeeded in getting a replacement of the NVDIA/logic board and even a brand new one. Im not just gonna let this slide by, i still have a confidence that i have a bigshot of
    reviving my lifeless MBP. It would be too damn rediculous to have a broken logic board within just a year or so use, even 2 or 3 years, especially if you haven't dropped it or spilled a big amount of liquid on your unit. You bought this unit before at 80-125 grand
    and soon enough it's just gonna turn into an aluminum brick? you do the math. hahaha This issue doesn't really make sense to me. Apple is known for its durability and class, so i do hope they live up to their name and reputation. I will update you guys on my quest to find justice on this MBP glitch. Pray for me. hehe

16. welt

welt New Member

Count Me In. Same Problem.

On July 2008, I purchased a brand new 15 inch MacBook Pro (2.4Ghz / 200GB HDD/ 2Gb RAM) under Senco Link with a significant discount through the Educational Advantage Promo.

On Nov 2009, everything was doing fine and I closed my MBP to put it into sleep. Afterwards, I attached my iPod in the USB port and opened the lid of my MBP. Then it happened, IT WON'T WAKE UP. :(

So I did a reset and now it won't chime and also no display on the monitor, I could only hear the hard drive working and the sleep indicator light is on all the time. It is in eternal sleep.

After exhaustively trying every troubleshooting method the internet threw at me, I gave it to the Senco Link Service Center at Tomas Morato to have it checked attaching this document (NVIDIA ISSUE: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377) which I thought was the problem. After a week or so, they concluded that it was probably a defective logic board.

I also brought it to Digital Hub Vmall for a 2nd opinion and they also said it is probably a defective logic board.

With my 1 year warranty already expired and without AppleCare, both Senco and DigiHub just advised me to buy a new one since the price of the logic board is almost the price of a brand new MBP. :(

I am just a student and I have spent all my money to buy the MacBook Pro only to be wasted. I am thinking of writing a letter to Senco Link about my problem hoping they could swap my mac for a new one (since its just 1yr 4mos. old) but who do I write it to and where do I start?

So What shoud I do? I badly need a laptop since I'm still in school. Please Help. Thanks in advance.

17. welt

welt New Member

ANy updates on your situation? as I am having the same problem. Thanks.

18. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

uhm....

Guys, NVIDIA 8600gt problems will be taken care by apple (up to 3years even without warranty) if this is the problem that occurs (but don't quote me, because this is what i can recall lang)... i also have a 2.5ghz mbp but isn't defective.. but i'm confident that they will replace your units.. call APPLE HOTLINE and tell them about the screen not powering on (and mention that your has the NVIDIA8600)

lemme know if this works.. goodluck! (and goodluck to my mbp -- sana hindi ganyan.. hahaha warrantied pa saken though)

19. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi, I could totally relate on your issue regarding your MBP. Same situation as me; a student, has alot of work needs to be done, short in cash and frustrated. I brought it to Digital Hub for repairs and it was diagnosed with faulty logic board. I called apple singapore 1-800-1441-0234 and appealed for a free board replacement, and luckily the people i talked to were very nice and listened to my story, eventually got my free repair and works great. I strongly suggest calling them. :)

Side note: Thanks again to Charlie, Hubes and DH for helping me, baka mabasa niyo to. :)