Macbook Pro can't receive wifi signal while others can

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by mbp_user, Nov 20, 2009.

1. mbp_user

mbp_user Member

Okay so I was inside the classroom typing some notes and I noticed the people around me are surfing the internet. It bothered me coz my mbp can't find a nearby network. My classmates (windows users) even had 3 networks to choose from.

Can anyone explain this? It's so unfair my laptop costs twice (if not thrice) as much as theirs and I can't even get a decent signal.

2. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Check the channel you selected for your wifi. It's best to keep it NOT ON AUTOMATIC and select any channel from 1 to 11. Automatic often goes up to 13 which is not broadcasted by other routers (seems only Apple routers go this high).

3. athos11

athos11 Member

i guess you have to have it checked by an authorized dealer.

4. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

See if your iPhone can pick up the wifi signals in your class room. If it does, then you know the problem is with your Mac. If it can't then it may be a network thing.

5. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

If it ain't the setting then probably its a hardware problem. Also, aluminum macs tend to have a weaker signal reception due to its aluminum casing.

6. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

thats odd. i set mine always on automatic and can scan all the possible signal for wifi at that place. better bring it to a service center to be sure.

7. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Try to reset PRAM. Airport Bluetooth etc can be fixed by this.

8. patjavi

patjavi Member

I have the same problem, in the same scenario too..i seem to be the only laptop in class that cant get wifi signal. That's why I ended up buying a Globe Tattoo

9. panis

panis Well-Known Member

My mbp is also set at automatic and generally, I don't experience any problem. The only time that I experienced a problem connecting to a network was when I was at the Meralco training center (MCDC) in Antipolo because their networks were windows-based so I had to use windows 7 through bootcamp. My mbp was able to scan their networks but I could not log in.

10. jspalaroan

jspalaroan Member

Hi guys, I have this related problem too. My mbp has a poor signal reception when I'm in 2nd floor of our house, all my other laptops (netbook Asus& Toshiba/acer /cellphone is receiving at least good signal from the router located downstairs. Went to Powermac to ask what can be done, they say its not related to PRam and inform me to bring the unit for check up or update the software (which is actually updated anyway) or ask a technician for a visit at home so they can check actual condition. The software version are as follows:
    Software Versions:
    Menu Extra: 6.2.1 (621.1)
    configd plug-in: 6.2.3 (623.1)
    System Profiler: 6.0 (600.9)
    Network Preference: 6.2.1 (621.1)
    AirPort Utility: 5.5.1 (551.19)
    IO80211 Family: 3.1.1 (311.1)
    Interfaces:
    en1:
    Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D)
    Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.16.1)
    Locale: APAC
    Country Code: X1
    Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n
    Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
    Wake On Wireless: Supported
    Current Network Information:
    xxxxxxx:
    PHY Mode: 802.11g
    BSSID: 0:1b:11:90:2a:b0
    Channel: 6
    Network Type: Infrastructure
    Security: None
    Signal / Noise: -36 dBm / -93 dBm
    Transmit Rate: 54

Appreciate your feedback. Tia.

11. freak

freak Member

my mbp also has issues when connecting to our free wifi. my win notebook has no issues whatsoever but my mbp connects to the network but gets disconnected after a few minutes.

someone from another thread had the same issues and when he brought his mbp to an apple cneter, they reinstalled the os and he said that this solved the problem. i still haven't tried this since i'm still busy with other stuff but you guys might want to give it a shot.

12. ewe_17

ewe_17 Member

^we usually just reset our router whenever my mbp or any of our laptops loses connection and that usually solves the problem

13. aaarrrnnn

aaarrrnnn Member

I also have the same problem. When we were having dinner at Megamall I tried to connect to the free wi-fi at the resto we were in and could not detect any hotspot. Then I tried rebooting into Windows 7 and lo and behold, I got five available hotspots to connect to.

After surfing for a while I rebooted and again, no wi-fi hotspot while using OSX.

14. freak

freak Member

yep, that would be the first troubleshooting to do IF we have access to the router. but if you check the posts, the issue is mainly when trying to get connected with public networks. ;)

Mods,
    I think it's better to rename the thread to indicate that the issue is connection and detection of Public Wifi networks to make it a lot clearer.

15. teamjello

teamjello Member

I have the same problem with my MBP. It can connect to the internet, but after a few minutes it disconnects. Soo frustrating, Was searching all over the internet for a fix but still no help. This only happens when I connect to the office wifi, but for other wifi, no problems at all. What could be causing this?

I tried reinstalling OS and still the same.

16. teamjello

teamjello Member

Hi, anyone with the same problem as mine? My MBP wifi signal has been dropping. It connect for around 10-20 minutes, then signal drops and I need to reset the router or diagnose the wireless networks. When I check the wireless network, the internet and server radio buttons are yellow, not green. then when i restart network or click assist me it goes online again. What could be causing this? Only happens with macbooks, not with PCs. The macbook of my officemate experiences the same thing, but the Windows based laptops do not have any problem at all with the dropping signal.

Will appreciate any help.