2021MacBook Pro M1 Pro / M1 Max

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warmgreentea, Oct 19, 2021.

1. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

It's really viable as long as the abovementioned conditions are adjusted to non-installment purchase and the willingness to fork out an amount for air cargo shipping plus taxes - especially when rushing to secure the device asap.

For a number of years, I've been helpful to good friends back in PH, who sought assistance to acquire iPhones and whatnots at my expense first and will be settled via Western Union once the final amount (retail price, shipping charges, taxes) is ready.

Estimated expenses for 3 iPhone Pros would be in area of 12-15K. Picked up the devices on a Friday, brought to LBC for shipping on the same day, then delivered to your residence in Manila in 3-4 days (maximum of 7 days).

Also note that there is a significant increase of forex rate involved when sending payments via Western Union from peso to sgd. I couldn't find better fund transfer alternatives but if only it's possible to take a seamless flight to SIN these days, I would highly recommend a short trip and use the shipping cost for the airfare and some nice food instead.

potpot2 and Sunil_K like this.
  2. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

max_Moon and potpot2 like this.
  3. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I was asked by a friend this morning if how beneficial would the new Pro XDR Displays are on the new MBP for Netflix, browsing through the internet, scrolling through facebook feed in 120hz, and MS excel since the screen can be now ~16.2inches~. Can't believe she'd consider spending 150k for those basic things wherein she could just get a MacBook Air (she already owns a 2018 model) and plug an external 20+ inches monitor if she really needs the screen estate.

Made my blood boil that I asked if she is a creative professional, and if no, better get her priorities aligned with regards to wants vs needs. The same person who complains about current rising gas prices and electric bills on social media but always comes out with a new bag whenever she's in Greenbelt 4, hay some people. :ROFLMAO:

So yeah, let me just remind some people that this machine is more of a tool for productivity than the bling factor. The normal M1 is more than enough, heck, even previous gen intels is enough as well. (y)

#84 warmgreentea, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    imart, potpot2 and Shinahashirome like this.
  4. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

I have a 2015 12-inch macbook, the line that Apple discontinued. As a very active lawyer, I use my macbook heavily for office apps like word, excel and powerpoint. I review heavily marked-up documents and with multiple files opened for review and comparison. Since the pandemic, I have been trouble working with these simple tasks. Since I will be most likely still work from home in the coming months, I also want to connect to a second monitor for ease of review of documents. Lastly, I want to improve my new youtube travel blog so I want to be able to do decent video editing.

Given these factors, would the base model of the 14-inch macbook pro too much for me? That is just about the limit of what I am willing to shell out for a new macbook to replace my 2015 macbook. To comment on your post, I am not one of those creative professionals. At best, I am a creative wannabe hehehe

potpot2 likes this.
  5. blessie15

blessie15 Active Member

I plan to use mine for Netflix, playing sims and some video and photo editing but I have a 6 year old macbook air which is pretty busted at this point because I carried it with me all over the world. Prior to the macbook air, I had a white macbook for 8 years. I get attached to my things and think of them as my friend.

I want to get the base model and upgrade to 1TB. That's it. With all the reviews coming in I know me getting an M1 Pro is already overkill but considering I'm holding on to it for atleast 5 years seems worth it.

Your friend sounds a bit errrmm she has a lot of money. Make her invest in your business if you have one LOL

Sunil_K likes this.
  6. warmgreentea

Well, even if you'd be doing light/decent video editing, a 13inch Macbook Air M1 is still more than enough for your needs and just get a multi port dongle for your USB ports and the other one for the monitor x charging port. In my opinion, this is a better choice as a lighter and thinner machine esp how the new MBP have gained a lot of heft, and given how lawyers are on the go in many times (I assume you went Macbook 12 for that reason as well) looking far in the future. If you could wait out a bit more, leaks have been spreading about the newer MBA and it'll be out within half a year or so.

To give you context, in my company, one of the video editors under me used to use our Specc'd Xeon 128gb ram 2014 Mac Pro (trashcan model) for our work then it died, so we got him an M1 Mac Mini just early this year. Rendering a 1 hour 4k video with some motion gfx used to take 40-50 minutes to fully render, and we tried to render the same project and it only took 9 minutes on that little guy. That now-dead-can was 300k and this other one was 35k, lol. That's how far the M1 will take you, and it is the same chip in the air. :D

Get one of those 34" ultrawide monitors, a keychroon keyboard, and a nice mouse with it, and you'll be set. You will have pocket money with that too than going for even the base MBP M1P/M (y)

#87 warmgreentea, Oct 26, 2021
    potpot2 and bluedragonph like this.
  7. warmgreentea

As long as you're way due for an upgrade and you have some skills that you'd want to polish with it, go ahead. Just not for those who have vanity and inner insecurity issues, 2cents. :whistle:

With regards to her, well she's okay with some small food social media businesses; but her spending habits is funded by her boyfriend who's job is dribbling and shooting a ball in a court shown on television, so money is good but fast like catching water via hands. That's why I advise her to be careful because $$ can be gone in two ways, via breakup or a career-ending injury. :ROFLMAO:

#88 warmgreentea, Oct 26, 2021
    Sunil_K, potpot2 and Shinahashirome like this.
  8. marvin_net

marvin_net Active Member

Thank you si much Sir! Oo nga naman. Makes sense on the eligible credit card
    It seems I really have to wait before I can order in Powermac.

9. bluedragonph

bluedragonph Active Member

Thank you so much for your inputs. Your points are spot on: I really do travel a lot (both for work and leisure) and portability is a big factor for me.

Honestly, when the macbook pro M1 pro line was announced, i realized that I may not be the market for these beasts. Then, part of me wanted to see if the new 14-inch macbook pro will fit me given that I really held off from buying the macbook air M1 since it launched last year thinking a new macbook will definitely come out 3rd or 4th quarter of 2021. Now, after a year after the M1 came out, in the end the one I really need is just the upgraded M1 macbook air. Wasted time waiting for that macbook which is not for me hahaha. Thanks again for your perspective!

warmgreentea likes this.
  10. blessie15

blessie15 Active Member

If you buy from the Apple PH website via the education store, you get about 10K discount as opposed to powermac via installment, but I guess it depends on your situation.

marvin_net likes this.
  11. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Truth be told you can use a pro machine (defined as a tool to generate income) as a consumer device and a consumer device (defined as a tool that doesn't really make any income) as a pro machine.

It really all about the budget for purchase that may be influenced by the income of the person.

A counter point.

She may just be making conversation with a topic she knows that interests you. To fill in the sentences she is talking about her use case in relation to how applicable it is to the device.

For those who arent into tech what they'd understand from this is that these are more newer & the screen size are bigger. In terms of performance... they wouldn't know it from Adam.

I know a lot of people who are like that. No intention to buy but just wants to make conversation. To make a connection.

Assuming she can afford it then awesome.

The original M1 chip pretty much covers ~80% of all worldwide use cases for a Mac. For the Philippines that's >90%.

If Apple offered a Macbook Air 16" using the 2019 MBP 16" body design then use case for the M1 would increase to over 99%.

For me the main draw of the 16" is the screen size as any Apple Silicon Mac will outperform any Intel Mac or PC you own now.

M1 Pro & M1 Max are HPC desktop replacements on a charger that is no more than 140W.

It saddens me that we will never get a 280W TDP Apple Silicon chip as it would not exceed more than 1 million out of 22.5 million Macs per year.

Just order from the US/HK/SG and have it shipped over. Only reason I'd buy here if you need business deductible expense and hand holding from a dealer.

Your credit card company allows for installment payment of any online purchase. Call their hotline and ask about it. They also have an online financial calculator.

https://www.bdo.com.ph/personal/credit-cards/promos/installment/installment-calculator

#92 yoh_hectic, Oct 26, 2021
    potpot2 likes this.
  12. warmgreentea

She's a friend of a friend and she knows my line of work from random conversations we had in the past, so she uses me as an encyclopedia for anything tech related since I'm also the person who recommended a mesh wifi to her. We don't have that much of a connection and I don't mind having anything much with this person, as she has a personality of a cold white wall.

Yes, these are totally acceptable reasons, but in my case, I'd rather be a better person and just give nice gifts to the laborers of my businesses or extra bonuses this coming Christmas to help them through these times of uncertainty or just invest it somewhere else. Her use case would go towards diminishing value than a real investment for her usage(s), that's why I just had to give my slice of pie with regards to her inner demons as, truth be told, I'm the kind of a direct target market/person for this line of Macs so I can give some firsthand opinion of what I think about all these. This one has an intention to buy because of boredom and that lingering feeling of always having new things to play with, so that's that. :LOL:

potpot2 and Shinahashirome like this.
  13. yoh_hectic

We have similar lines of thinking.

A few 70-somethings approached me about what mirrorless or dSLRs to buy.

I asked them "are you willing to carry 1kg+ of gear and camera bag more than 1x/week for the next 10 years?"

If not then get an iPhone Pro Max with service for 3,000/mo. on a 24 month contract.

I pointed it out to them that I have not used my cameras in more than a decade and yet use my iPhone Pro Max at least 16hrs/day and it being my primary camera from document scanning to documenting accidents.

But if the person can afford the MBP's $1,999 or more price tag then why not live a little?

If I was smarter with money I would have poured it all into the stock market when it dropped to 4,000-4,500 points from 9,000 and make a killing when 1.00 turned into 19.00 within 12 months.

#94 yoh_hectic, Oct 26, 2021
    warmgreentea likes this.
  14. warmgreentea

Well for one thing, I don't think the 12 incher will come back as that form factor has fallen out of favor for many companies and that would cannibalize iPad + Keyboard case sales, which I think is more profitable since they can also sell the pencil with it. M1 should have been the perfect timing for it, but oh well. They also scrapped the butterfly keyboards and the current ones need more space for actuation; I doubt they'll make it thicker just for that. So the best bet will be the M2 Macbook Air, hold on for a little while. Coming from an underpowered Macbook, I'm sure you're in for a treat once you go M1+++. (y)

15. warmgreentea

Ah yes, this is aligned to what I'd say as well, but I'd give them a choice between an iPhone Pro or the $600 Pixel 6 as that thing seems to be a photography beast for its price.

I'd throw my money on ADA, as within a year my money there has already tripled and I want to hodl some more. :ROFLMAO:

16. yoh_hectic

I'd shy away from any Google phone. They're known to be of poor quality. I was a victim of it with the Nexus 6P.

id be more confidet with this Sony phone

What was worst still was it was a 1 time cash out rather than amortized.

With the iPhone or even Samsung I can spread the payment over 24 or even 36 month period. If I knew this was possible for other Apple products like the iPad I would have bought my iPad 2 & iPad 5 that way.

#97 yoh_hectic, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  17. yoh_hectic

leninmac likes this.