Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Pro / M1 Max

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warmgreentea, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

This could change when the mass adoption of Valve's Steam Deck comes. Since the steam deck uses Vulkan as its graphics API, we could theoretically play those Steam deck ready AAA games via MoltenVK(Vulkan to metal, similar to rosetta2) with these Macbooks.

2. gestapo

gestapo Active Member

I just pre-ordered mine, coming second week of November! I am actually excited for this since the only thing that really kept me from buying the first 16" was the poor webcam. Unfortunately, there are no display units until next week so I can't see how good these units would be (me being a software developer, and hobbyist photographer)

3. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

Read again. Last paragraph of the article. It's there.

---------------------------------

On the subject of gaming, I think the speculation stems from the TeraFLOPs metric. Whether that translates to real-world gaming performance remains to be seen.

4. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

>>> Turns out, Apple will actually go a step further in hiding the notch from all full screen apps.

"Apple is taking steps to make the notch less of an annoyance for most customers in day-to-day use. When macOS apps are in full-screen mode, Apple adds an artificial black bar to the top of the display that hides the notch. Developers can, however, opt to allow their apps to make full use of the entire screen real estate, notch included. Learn more about the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pros in our comprehensive roundup."

By hiding the notch, you mean make it less noticeable or make it disappear when an application is set to full screen? It implies to me that going a step further in hiding it would mean repositioning it somewhere physically or omitting it completely.

At this point the only issue that's quite obvious is that, because the notch was a top secret and was apparently not disclosed to the Xcode and other relevant teams, when application is set to full screen, there's a high chance that the menu bar items could reach the notch area, so an overlap might happen. But this can be readily fixed by an application update if the producer chooses to.

5. imart

Makes me feel excited for you. Wrote this while listening to the blowing fans in full blast as they help keep my machine temp at bay :D

6. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

Apple chose to use a 14:9 aspect ratio to compensate for the notch. This is much taller than the previous 16:10 aspect ratio on Macbooks & much taller than 16:9 used by 4K & 2K TVs.

[​IMG]

If it werent for the notch it would complement 4:3 content, like those of Star Trek TOS & TNG, if it werent for the notch. It would have thinner piller bars on the right and left side.

When viewing 16:9 or wider vids the notch will not be seen.

My sole complaint with this improvement is the display board shrink. Why 3.5mm only? Why not go for 0.5mm?

7. imart

I agree with contents played unobstructed by the notch in all aspect ratios except the 4:3. My earlier observations were focused on contents in HD (wide) aspect ratios but completely forgot the 4:3 until now.

With the 3.5mm side bezels, i won't be fretting personally especially when comparing against the bezel size of my device on hand. Plus, it also achieves some balance aesthetically, rather than have something as thin as 0.5mm but they throw us a thicker device in return. :)

8. Adarna

Microsoft Surface's screens are taller at 3:2 aspect ratio

9. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

^Yeah... 3:2 should be the new standard. IMO, it's more eye-friendly... but that's just me.

Basically the reason why I'm considering a Huawei Mateview for an external display :)

jayparalejas likes this.
  10. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Me too! Mateview is looking to be the best option for productivity. Less scrolling. Wish it had vertical rotation. But hey its near perfect for 90% of people.

cybersniper likes this.
  11. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

12. cybersniper

Yep - I find it to be a good alternative (and a lot cheaper at that) to Apple's XDR Display :)

jayparalejas likes this.
  13. Adarna

Before wide screen 16:10 or 16:9 wasn't 3:2 the standard during the early PowerPC days?

14. Adarna

15. jayparalejas

Been to huawei sm east ortigas and sm mega, no display unit yet. Have you seen one in person?

16. cybersniper

^YES!!! :) - when I was in SG a couple of months ago - at Sim Lim Square... I was there for something else (a Keyboard). But then I saw it (a display unit) at one store there... and man, it was love at first sight. The build quality is top notch. The finish is sooooo Apple-ish.

It ain't as bright as an iMac's display though... I'd say its 100% brightness is about 75% of an iMac's (but who keeps his iMac at 100% brightness anyway). It's the monitor I wish Apple created.

jayparalejas likes this.
  17. jayparalejas

Oh lucky You! I'll wait for major sale vouchers, and grab one, looking to be a perfect monitor for my future MBP M1 Max haha. Shopee usually have 1k off on electronics. Huawei also gives out 1k vouchers from time to time.

cybersniper likes this.