Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Pro / M1 Max

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warmgreentea, Oct 19, 2021.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

leninmac likes this.
  2. blessie15

blessie15 Active Member

The release exceeded my expectations (the notch lol). Its a very powerful device for my current needs or workflow but as I know I will probably hold on to it for more than 5 years I'm thinking this is a good investment.

Very happy that the 13 inch base model has 14 GPU. I was not expecting that. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one.

leninmac likes this.
  3. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup. The release was top-NOTCH. :D:D:D

raypin and blessie15 like this.
  4. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Well most prosumer cameras, GoPros, still uses SD cards and not everyone has the higher systems/bodies lines of Nikons, Sonys, etc; and thunderbolt speeds when transferring files via Blackjet's or Sonnets pro card readers are preferred (by experience) and I really haven't seen a laptop with a built in CFX or CF slots to think of it. Also, those cards are thick and Apple wouldn't want to make that adjustment for such a niche market (ie fatter chassis for the MBPs). If there was a CF card slot right now instead of an SD card slot, you'd see so many headlines right now burning apple for that decision.

I deal with a lot of SD cards and Micro SD cards, so I fit among the happy ones. :D

scubadiverdaw, gaol and leninmac like this.
  5. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm shocked that Apple allowed the return of a full-sized HDMI port, a feature popular on most PC laptops.

6. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

A friend and I were talking about this and its either someone from the management had a change of heart, or the decision-maker was fired, or maybe just the fact that Jony Ive is now gone and the new people in charge isn't as concerned about vanity like he is. :whistle:

Sunil_K, imart and Godfather like this.
  7. yoh_hectic

Then the slot's largely useless for me, again :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

To future-proof it is it a SD Express slot? I'd be keeping this thing until it stops receiving macOS Security Updates by year 2031. Then I'll jump to a 2032 Macbook Pro

For those wondering how long their devices receives Security Updates
    • Up to 10 yrs for Macs
    • Up to 8 yrs for iPads
    • Up to 7 yrs for iPhones
    • Up to 4 yrs for Watch

#30 yoh_hectic, Oct 19, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    warmgreentea likes this.
  8. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Jobs must be rolling in his grave. Ive is somewhere in the world face palming. Haha! Both would have added a tiny, semi-propietary HDMI port, then sell you a ridiculously overpriced adapter.

I love the fact that the MBP M1 has a full sized HDMI port again, while some recent high end PC laptops now require you to buy a USB-C to HDMI adapter.

Baliktad na ang mundo.

Sunil_K likes this.
  9. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

it's a case of a UX over UI, thinking that they could enforce something that many of us users have rejected by simply holding our nifty mid-2015 MBP until now just because our workflows heavily depend on what's already in place and unbroken rather than investing on unnecessary hubs to get things done. the PCs who followed suit, thinking that just because Apple has done it, then might as well do it, will take the return of ports to the new MBP as a hard lesson in device usability.

10. yoh_hectic

Apple came out with the USB PD 2.1-compliant 140W USB-C charger to match with the USB-C to Magsafe cable.

Looking forward to Satechi offering a charger with 140W USB-C port, 30W USB-C port and two 12W USB-A ports.

Total wattage output of 194W or more.

Even with the return of MagSafe you can still charge your MBP via USB-C

HDMI port is 2.0 & not 2.1 likely that one of TB4 channels being split between the SD card slot & HDMI port. This is not an issue as there are no fully 48Gbps displays available today.

Mainstream displays will probably occur by late 2020s by which time this Mac would be 6 years old.

11. yoh_hectic

There are no 3rd party cables that are certified/tested at 140W.

The new standard of USB PD was announced a few months ago.

Until then it was up to 100W which was used by the MBP 16" at 96W.

This is just me but it would have been truly awesome if Apple went whole hog and push for 240W.

M1 Pro & M1 Max at 240W may equal the performance of a RTX 3090 desktop dGPU and Threadripper workstation APU at 2,400W

#37 yoh_hectic, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    leninmac likes this.
  12. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

Turns out, Apple will actually go a step further in hiding the notch from all full screen apps.

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/10/19/macbook-pro-mouse-pointer-and-notch/

13. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

"This may come in good use, for example, when users want to more easily hide the mouse pointer while they watch a video."

Don't we all know that the mouse pointer will disappear automatically a few moments after setting the video player to full screen? On the other hand, when playing a video in non-fullscreen mode, I'm sure that the mouse pointer is negligible as long as you park it away from the streaming content.

I re-read the article but I couldn't figure out where it mentions that the company will take action in hiding the notch from full screen apps. What's clear to me: the notch serves as a hiding place for the mouse pointer and app developers have the choice to make use of the real estate adjacent to the notch accordingly.

14. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Even with 32 GPU cores, the M1 Max MacBook Pro still isn’t a gaming destination
    Why the New MacBook Pro Won't Be a Great Gaming Laptop

Interesting reads. I was maybe thinking of getting the new MacBooks (just for 0.00000001s) for gaming but alas. It's still not the gaming laptop I was expecting.