Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Pro / M1 Max

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warmgreentea, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Boddhisatva

Boddhisatva Galactic Emperor
    Supporter

Sounds like a hardware defect.

2. Cruncher

Cruncher Member

When I put the new one on top of the old one they are mostly the same size. Also from Thickness they are almost the same. All MBP`s after 2016 are slimmer.
    The Display is bigger because it has much smaller bezels. The Trackpad is huge and also the Keys are bigger and way better than the keys from 2016-2020.

tonettem likes this.
  3. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

oh noh.

i'll observe more though this really happened couple of times :(

looks like im not the only one experienced it. i'll try to remove al dente
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253460762

4. makinao

makinao Active Member

The only con I’ve noticed in my m1 max 16” is that the keyboard feels hollow underneath. That’s unlike my 2012 unibody which feels more solid, like a magic keyboard.

5. Lestat_17

Lestat_17 New Member

I noticed my 5 week old macbook pro has a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that out of the box. I sent it to BTB for service repair.

6. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

after removing al dente looks like it isnt an issue anymore... hopefully it's just that...

Boddhisatva likes this.
  7. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Our order of 20 units MBP14 base model since November 2021 still hasn't been delivered by Senco yet. No ETA. :(

8. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I still haven't bought one given that I was issued a 2018 MBP 13in from the office late last year so suddenly, I lost the desire for one. But I know I'll get a 16in eventually.

But as I've checked them again this morning when I got to pass by a PMC, is it me or the Silver looks better than the Space Gray version(s) for the new MBP this time around? The contrast of the keyboard area seems to pop better on the silver one this time, or maybe that's just my antok imagination. :D

#368 warmgreentea, Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  9. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

the space gray eventually fades... based on my personal experience.

10. max_Moon

max_Moon Active Member

^ Not in my experience.

11. Boddhisatva

Supporter

Agree, I went with silver because I think it completes the whole TiBook retro vibe. :)

12. warmgreentea

It does. Never had the titanium book since I was still in grade school then, but looking at pics gives me that nostalgic feeling. The MBP, Mac Studio, and Studio Display has that kind retro future vibe to them.

I just only wish that they'd take out that damned notch on the MBP in the future.

13. Boddhisatva

Supporter

Yep, or at least bring in FaceID so it doesn't feel like a waste of space. Instant wake + instant unlock would be awesome.

14. makinao

makinao Active Member

For those asking about temps. I got TG Pro. Just finished rendering a simple 10 minute video in FCP, sent to Compressor, mp4 high and low broadband.

In my air-conditioned bedroom at about 24C, idling was at 44C. During rendering, temps reached only 69C. Fans at 0rpm. My old 2012 MBP i7 15" would idle at about 60C, and would render the same video at about 90C with fans topping out past 6000rpm.

Cooooool!

#374 makinao, Mar 22, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  15. Boddhisatva

Supporter

The "spasm" wake on my MBP seems to have been resolved by disabling the Use Touch ID sensor for fast user switching option in the Touch ID preferences panel.

16. neldeles

neldeles Active Member

Fortunate enough to check Powermac Rockwell the afternoon their restocks arrive. They have a few more 14 inch available for anyone looking.

Anyone here know of any good locally available sleeve cases for the 14 inch? Used to just go for Acme made sleeves but DW didn't have any available for 14 inch MBP's.

17. warmgreentea

Is it me or the side vents are sharp? I've held one again today for my curiousity and picked it up this time, noticed it just today.

Boddhisatva and gaol like this.
  18. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Noticed it too, here's an earlier post of mine (#331):

19. warmgreentea

Oh right, I remember reading this at some point. Hopefully when the newer models come out, it'll be more soft on its edges. I'll probably get one next year or a few months after the next model comes out.

Currently using an office issued 2018 MBP 13in, the size is too bitin for me and I hate the touchbar with a passion. And well, the screens on these new machines are so gorgeous.

20. Eraser

Eraser New Member

Anyone who uses 2 external monitors (4k + 2k ultrawide) with similar simultaneous activities:
    • Chrome (30 tabs minimum - lots of Jira and Confluence tabs)
    • Figma
    • Miro
    • Zoom / Google meet call + share screen
    • OBS
    • + other apps like Onenote, Notion, etc
    and possibly looking at machine learning and/or mobile development in the future.

Macbook Air M1 8gb can't handle the above scenario. I'm thinking of getting one of the new Macbook pro 2021 models but don't really want to buy an overkill configuration. Is the 16 inch base model enough for my use case? Any suggestions for the best value configuration?

Thanks in advance!