Macbook Pro 2021 M1 Pro / M1 Max

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warmgreentea, Oct 19, 2021.

1. voltaire_lb

voltaire_lb Member

Parang I want one, need to go back 14 inches or 13 inch. where can I sell my mbp 16 2019 with warranty and receipt? hehe

2. Boddhisatva

Boddhisatva Galactic Emperor
    Supporter

Go to About this Mac --> System Report --> Hardware --> Power --> AC Charging information under System Report to see your current charging wattage.

blessie15 and caffelatte like this.
  3. makinao

makinao Active Member

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 9.28.51 AM.png

Progress!

Boddhisatva likes this.
  4. Lestat_17

Lestat_17 New Member

When did you ordered? Mine is still stuck in processing. I ordered last Jan 2.

5. makinao

makinao Active Member

Ordered November 25. Arriving January 28. Built to order.

6. jai bautista

jai bautista Active Member

After a month or so of using my 2021 14" MBP (16GB/1TB) and coming from a 2018 13" MBP 4TB (8GB/256GB), here are my thoughts about it (hopefully these may help those who are thinking of getting one):

Pros:
    1. Thermals and battery life are the most obvious improvements. I rarely see the CPU temp go above 50*C even with multiple tabs of Safari and Microsoft Edge open, as well as multiple MS Office apps running in the background (the temp only goes up if I use video conferencing apps such as Zoom and MS Teams), therefore the two fans rarely spin (and even if they do spin at around the mid-50*C's, they spin at around 2k-2.5k RPM). Battery life is also insane; I am able to watch a 2-hour movie via Netflix and the battery level goes down from 100% to the mid-80s%.
    2. The display is magnificent. I thought the previous-gen MBPs already had the among the best displays in laptops due to the accurate color tuning out of the box and improving upon them would be difficult; Apple managed to do just that with the switch to mini-LED displays. Although it doesn't do blacks quite as well as OLEDs do (you can easily notice this if you watch videos in a pitch-black room; blacks aren't really blacks but they're blacker than typical LEDs), everything else looks fantastic with it. For those worrying about the notch, you wouldn't notice it after using the MBP for 5-10 minutes.
    3. The speakers are loud. And they can pump decent bass.
    4. The 1080p webcam is a huuuuuge improvement over the 720p webcam from prior generations. Also, I noticed that there's better software processing when using a third-party webcam (I look clearer/brighter in video calls).
    5. Having extra ports is nice. And yes, the high impedance headphone jack works as intended (there's no way to check if the built-in amplifier switched from low to high power but if you know your way around hard-to-drive headphones, you'd immediately notice the difference).
    Cons:
    1. Pricing is ludicrous.
    2. There appear to be bugs (hopefully software-related) when using the machine. The most annoying involves not allowing you to download a Mac OS update through Software Update (I had to do a clean install of Monterey 12.1 to update from 12.0.1, which came with my unit). Another issue is screen flickering when hooking an external display directly to the HDMI port (I was able to solve this by using my USB-C dongle's HDMI port). I also have to lift the display when turning on my external display from sleep (otherwise, I have to repeatedly press my Magic Keyboard/Magic Trackpad for ~15-20 seconds).
    3. I am a big fan of the butterfly keyboard mechanism, so I really don't dig the new and improved magic keyboard with scissor switches. For those who are used to deep keystroke presses, you'd appreciate the extra depth when pressing the keys.
    4. It's slightly larger than the 13" MBP, so if you use a sleeve that is a snug fit with the latter, then you'll have to get a larger sleeve.
    I think I made the right choice to get a 14" rather than a 16" (I initially wanted to get a 16" but I couldn't get one that has 1TB of SSD); having been used to the 13" form factor, I barely notice the slightly larger chassis. I can use the 14" MBP comfortably on my lap. My back would definitely thank me once I start traveling again.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase!

7. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

in my case, this is the only issue i found so far.

when there are too many icons on the left side after the notch... is there an app or config to make it "compacted"?

upload_2022-1-20_21-41-49.png

8. Lan

Lan New Member

I use Bartender to hide all most of my icons.

9. Lan

Lan New Member

Thanks for the feedback! When I upgraded to Monterey, my USB webcam actually became grainy and dark. It seems some webcams were affected by Monterey not having full support for MJPEG. Can you share the brand and model of the third-party webcam that you are using right now?

Thank you

10. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

ayun! tnx... now have to look for something that's... free :p

11. jai bautista

This is the third-party webcam I'm currently using (since I mostly use my MBP in clamshell mode): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082CJPNB5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There was a significant improvement in the software processing when I shifted to the 14" MBP (for reference, I was already using this webcam with my 13" MBP with Monterey installed). I don't know, perhaps Apple put in a better ADC chip in the logic board that is the reason behind the improved video quality?

lanavelino likes this.
  12. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Try hiddenbar, it's in the mac app store

caffelatte and lanavelino like this.
  13. lanavelino

lanavelino New Member

Thank you! :) It might be definitely better processing from the M1.

jai bautista likes this.
  14. kilgore

kilgore Member

Follow on user (problem) report going into almost 2 months of use of my MacBook Pro 16 M1Max...

Context/use case: normal office work (i.e., nothing taxing; yes this machine is total overkill; even my previous 2018 15" MacBook Pro was overkill).

KERNEL PANICS:

Anyway, I've reported this previously: kernel panics. Had my 4th one this morning. Quite on schedule for every 2 weeks (Dec 15, January 1, January 12, January 25). All time this happened while sleeping (or waking from sleep). First time it happened, I put the machine to sleep, left to get a glass of water or something, and came back to the login screen -- it had restarted. This is basically what has happened all 4 times. Seems to (randomly? well, every 2 weeks-ish) when hooked up to my dock (Startech Thunderbolt 3 dock w/ power delivery (charges)).

Googled some today and found this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-of-kernel-panics-even-when-tb3-dock.2328426/

Seems a similar experience (sleeping/waking while attached to the dock). In my case, however, the dock isn't exactly a cheap one.

NOT CHARGING ON MAGSAFE:

This one is new. Just this afternoon new. I disconnected from the dock, went up to the room where I have my Magsafe charger, hooked up and...flashing orange light on the Magsafe. Which apparently indicates that the laptop isn't charging. Verified via the battery icon in the menu bar that indeed, not charging. Disconnect-connect cycles w/ the Magsafe, no dice, no charge. Continued w/ my work and my day, verified that Thunderbolt charging still worked with the dock. This evening after dinner, back to the room and Magsafe, still nada. Took a video (flashing orange on Magsafe); System Report says no charger connected.

I've had the flashing orange Magsafe hooked up the whole while typing this, and wouldn't you know it, 2 paragraphs ago, the flashing orange turned solid. But battery icon still indicated not charging. And then, a few minutes later, at the start of the previous paragraph, it's charging already.

I sure hope these are all fixable via software update (or firmware if needed). In any case, it looks like I'll surely be getting Applecare for this one.

15. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

16. jai bautista

@kilgore

I experienced a kernel panic recently but it was while using the machine. I just shifted from my work desktop to my personal desktop then suddenly i can't seem to click screen elements (but my mouse pointer was still working) then the machine restarted on its own. That was the first time I encountered that particular kernel panic in my 3+ yrs of using an MBP (including the 2018 13" MBP).

Just curious, are you also using Amphetamine/Amphetamine Enhancer? If not, perhaps that might resolve your kernel panic issues?

17. kilgore

kilgore Member

Hi @jai bautista -- thanks for the lead. No, I don't use Amphetamine. I still have the MacBook pretty stock with all official apps. Haven't even installed Little Snitch. I saved the logs from all 4 crashes (or undesired restarts). Three of them point to:

Sleep transition timed out after 35 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.driver.AppleTypeCPhy.

And the last one says:

Sleep transition timed out after 35 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.driver.AppleThunderboltNHI.

Being as the incidents happened while connected to the dock (Thunderbolt 3), it does seem going to sleep + being connected has something to do with it. Just weird that it doesn't happen consistently, but in my case sort of every 2 weeks. I seldom restart, always just put the Mac to sleep -- perhaps stuff accumulates and in my case 2 weeks is the tipping point for accumulated stuff to cause the panic when going to sleep while connected to the dock.

If I feel like it I may get on the phone with Apple Support and see what they say, but Googling reveals similar problems w/ M1 Macs and Big Sur since around early 2021 (13" MacBook Pro M1, Mac Mini M1).

This is the dock I use: https://www.startech.com/en-us/cards-adapters/tb3dock2dppd -- well-reviewed and hardly cheap (but I got it off eBay for far less than retail), I imagine it should be compliant with TB3 / USBC standards.

jai bautista likes this.
  18. makinao

makinao Active Member

Ordered November 25. Arrived yesterday. Max 10 core, 64gb, 4tb.

IMG_3877.JPG

Typing on it now after disinfection and data migration.

Zoey, Nicky, Sunil_K and 10 others like this.
  19. namyhka

namyhka New Member

Anyone got their M1 Pro 16inch with iStat menus? Care to share what your average temps are? I find my temps kinda above average at times with palm rest going to 32-34C regularly.