MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010) Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elindir, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Elindir

Elindir New Member

Hello, guys. Need some expert advice.

Since I currently don't have the budget for a new MBP, I thought I might as well just upgrade my mid-2010 one with new hardware. I asked the Beyond the Box service center in V-Mall whether this was still possible and they said I could do the following:

- Upgrade memory to 8GB
    - Change HDD to 500GB SSD
    - Upgrade to MacOS Sierra (still currently running Yosemite)

(I forgot to ask whether I could also change the battery, but I'd like to if possible since it drains a lot quicker now).

Anyway, they said they no longer can order the parts for me because of how old my MBP is.

So I wanted to ask the community, first and foremost, if this is even a worthwhile endeavor or will I just end up wasting resources? Truth be told, my MBP's still pretty ok...it's just very slow now (especially next to my wife's MacBook Air). Second, I wanted to hear your thoughts on the above parts for replacement (i.e. good brands and where I could get them). Would also appreciate any info on current prices.

That's basically it. Looking forward to your responses.

Maraming salamat!

2. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

switching to ssd and adding ram would add a world of difference to its performance... there are lots of youtube vids you can check the comparison between ssd vs hd in terms of boot up time, etc

3. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

best option.

-Upgrade to 8GB Ram will only cost you roughly 1-1.2k (used) (sold 4pcs 4GB DDR1333 / 1600 last week for 450 a pc.)
    -SSD 128GB will cost roughly 2-2.5k you can skip the fancy Samsung or high end ssd

4. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

That’s exactly what I did: 8gb RAM, 128gb SSD, and 1tb HDD on a caddy.

Don Pao likes this.
  5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm on a 13" here but I think the replacement process is the same. For me, I ponied up about 15k for 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM (13" 2010 MBP can support this, not 15"). That was almost 2 years ago. I would suggest doing a minimal upgrade to 128/256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM becuase software EOL support is around the corner (High Sierra might be the last OS X to support our ageing notebooks).

If you do make the upgrade, it will be like night and day in terms of bootup time and app launch time (things SSD and benefit of added RAM will help you with)

6. Elindir

Elindir New Member

Thanks, everyone!

Any recommendations on particular brands I should target and where I could get them? :)

7. makinao

makinao Active Member

Assuming everything's working in your MBP, about 30k will get you:
    1. Max RAM - Apple says your model's ceiling is 8gb. That will cost about 4.6k for brand new 2x4gb DDR3-1066 Crucial sodimm kit from Louie at Ayos Computer
    2. SSD - get as big as you can afford. The Crucial MX300 series is priced reasonably. Price at 1tb is just over 15k. 500gb is under 9k. 275gb is about 5.5k from Louie at Ayos Computer
    3. New Battery. I think a new original Apple battery is under 10k. Try Ynzal.
    I maxed out my 2012 MBP 15": Sierra, 16gb RAM, 1tb Crucial MX300. It boots slower than my wife's 2016 MBA 13" 8gbRAM 256gbSSD, but opens apps faster. The 2 year old battery still gets 5 hours with moderate load. So I'm keeping it until it dies.

#7 makinao, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  8. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

Hello @makinao . Would be glad to assist you if you are still up for upgrades :D

9. makinao

makinao Active Member

Its Elindir who's asking.

Dipp likes this.
  10. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

If your comfortable with used (2nd hand parts ) That will save you a lot.

2X 4GB 1066 you should be able to source them @ 600-700 per piece.

for the SSD. Cheapest ive seen is 2k - 2.3k for 120/128GB - Brandnew

Total of 3500-3700

Then buy a hdd caddy so you can use your old HDD as extra storage.

11. Elindir

Elindir New Member

Thanks, chief! How do I get in touch with Louie at Ayos Computer? (Hopefully not via Facebook as I no longer use that)

12. Elindir

Elindir New Member

Thanks for this too, chief. Just to clarify, the HDD caddy is to make my old HDD like an external USB drive, right? This isn't the one where you replace the SuperDrive with the old HDD?

13. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

Yup--that's what it does. That HDD caddy is a frame in the same shape as the SuperDrive, which is meant to hold your old hard drive, while the SSD you'll be getting will be installed where your present HDD is. In doing so, you'd get rid of your SuperDrive. Consider this option only if:
    • you want to save on cost; or
    • your SuperDrive is broken already and don't want it repaired/replaced; or
    • you otherwise have no need for your SuperDrive (whether it's still working or not).

On the other hand, if what you want is to upgrade your HDD to an SSD, while still retaining your SuperDrive, just simply get:
    • an SSD (which you will install in place of your present HDD). Pick the capacity that suits you best (ex: 256GB, 512GB or even 1TB); and
    • an external HDD enclosure (where you will put your HDD, as after installing your SSD, you'll retrieve your documents and other data from your HDD by connecting this HDD enclosure to your MBP via USB).

#13 Qin Zhi, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  14. makinao

makinao Active Member

Another reason is if you don't want to add the old HDD to the list of internal components drawing power from the battery.

15. Time

Time Member

How did your upgrade go? Our office has the same model that needs an SSD upgrade as well and I am interested to see if this is something easy to do and if the parts are available here.

16. Elindir

Elindir New Member

Does anyone know of any good brands for a replacement battery for my MBP 15" Mid 2010? Thinking of getting one online as I'm having a hard time finding a source here in Manila.

For the SSD and Memory, there's a good chance I'll be ordering these from Amazon while my F.I.L. is in the US since they come out cheaper:

- Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD ($140)
    - OWC 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz ($69)

Is the NewerTech NuPower (also from OWC) any good? Can't find one on Amazon but maybe I can just order directly from their website. But I am a little worried they won't allow it on the plane.

17. wulf

wulf Well-Known Member

NewerTech is fine, but there are cheaper brand alternatives.
    At least 256gb for your ssd, you'll find the 128 severely wanting.

Try to look at lazada for convenience (battery), Philmug's Madmax168 for the caddy. As for the ram, go with Louie, very reliable.

Titan likes this.
  18. Titan

Titan Member

I agree with Wulf, 256GB is the bare minimum. Believe it or not that 256GB runs out fast too and you will want more.. The real work horse starts at 512GB and I considered it a safe amount for storage nowadays.

Anyhow, I would just upgrade whichever is cheap for an aging laptop. I would go with just ram upgrade and a portable HDD. Believe me, my MBP 15 is almost 10 years old, I just use the cheapest 1TB spinners over the years and replaced 2 of them already. SSD drives are very fast and enticing, but cost an arm even at 256GB.

19. theredmac

theredmac New Member

Anyone who has experience in using Newertech Nupower batteries? How many years did it last?

20. wuyckie

wuyckie Member

Hi Don Pao, where can I score the used ram of 2 x 4GB 1066? Which do you recommend, Crucial Apple or GSkill Apple brand?