Macbook Pro 13" 128 gig or 256 gig?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maikapanda, Nov 5, 2016.

1. maikapanda

maikapanda New Member

Hi! I'm planning to buy the 2015 mbp 13in soon but I'm not sure which one to get. I'm a photographer and as part of the job, I edit a lot of photos. My main work computer is an iMac 21in, but I need a laptop so I can still work when I'm not at the studio. I'm thinking of getting the 128gig and use the extra cash on portable hard drives so I can easily access the files between the imac and mbp. I'm literally just going to use the mbp when i dont have my imac.

The mbp will have adobe lightroom, Photoshop, some Microsoft office apps, and other pre-installed apps. Thoughts?

2. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

Hi. I know a photographer who uses a 128gb MacBook Air for editing. He just brings several portable HDs with him. BUT he also told me to get the 256GB MBA when it was time for me to get mine :). So I did. If you can afford the bigger hard drive, get it. You never know when you'll need the extra space.

3. maikapanda

maikapanda New Member

I see. I can afford the 256gig, I just thought the extra space would be useless since I'm going to store the files in portable hard drives anyway. But I read from another forum also that the 256gb will perform better than the 128gb once the apps are installed. Soooo definitely checking 256 right now. Thanks for the input! :)

4. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

You're welcome :).

5. mmanson

mmanson Member

bigger capacity will always be better. it also comes with better specs overall. good luck on your purchase!

6. maikapanda

maikapanda New Member

got the 256! Thanks :)

mmanson likes this.
  7. markandapps

markandapps Active Member

Get the 256. I have a 2015 macbook base model and looking back now, I should've borrowed money to get the 512.

8. maikapanda

maikapanda New Member

Oh woe 512. I got the 256! Do you havr a lot of programs/files? I just installed my photography apps and all files are going to be on HDs so i can work on different computers.

9. markandapps

That's good you got the 256.
    Yes,I have a lot of files, good thing it's only 1080p videos to edit. But 4k video capture is becoming more and more affordable (equals bigger files) and I have only one usb c port.
    Btw, what are your photography apps? Any app suggestion for a beginner like me wanting to start on photo editing? I seldom use snapseed and procamera 8 to edit photos on my ipad mini.

10. maikapanda

maikapanda New Member

I heard that 15in is better for video editing?

I use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop! But if you just want light editing (exposure, colors, light skin editing) Lightroom is enough and just download some filters like VSCO/mastinlab after. :)

11. markandapps

Thanks!
    13" and 15" are definitely better for video editing but they're more expensive and bigger. I'm for portability. The macbook for me, is like an oversized tablet with macOs

12. kebabortega

kebabortega Member

Get the 256 GB, the apps will probably consume half of 128GB already

13. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Editing photos in apps like Lightroom will certainly perform better if you edit your photos in your Mac's Internal SSD then over a traditional external hard drive. Take note it has been documented online that overall performance degrades as hd/ssd storage gets filled up so 256gb will give you more breathing room.

However you can also use a fast external SSD like a Samsung t3 or a Sandisk Extreme 500 which is snappy enough that you can edit photos and even video off it comfortably even through a usb 3 connection. The Sandisk Extreme 500 is already available localy. Found some being sold in Abacus, Greenhills. Its a bit pricy though (8k php for 480gb) but worth your consideration because of its excellent performance.

I use one for Final Cut and it feels like Im editing on my Mac's internal SSD.

#13 Salaryman Ryan, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016