Macbook free space

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by j6l_hanopol, Aug 18, 2007.

1. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

how can i free more space on my macbook,,? if there would be any apps or tricks, i hope u can help me,, i appreciate it,, ;p thanks..!!:p

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Try WhatSize...its a similar tool from a Norton utility I've used back in my pc days. HTH

Add: This is a nifty tool to know where did all your GB go. It's adifferent thing if you want to compress your files. :)

3. j6l_hanopol

j6l_hanopol Active Member

ok thanks i'll try it, btw, how can i chane the qoute bellow my signature as a mac lover or something, below my pix it appears lurker,, ahaha,, tahanks..!! ;p

4. maryannemoll

maryannemoll Guest

It's the forum's system that assigns that tag to you. It depends on the number of posts you have so far. :)

5. lnara

lnara Member

You can try Monolingual. Because Apple uses a universal installer, ALL supported languages are installed by default on your Mac. This application removes the languages you don't use. Just make sure you leave at least 1 language selected, or you will have to reinstall OS X. I've used it on my Powerbook, and it's freed up about 1GB of space.

6. berniedd

berniedd Member

Try macjanitor. Google and download it, then install. It removes old log files, temp files, etc. Only for OS X though.

7. Rain Man

Rain Man Member

good question j6l_hanopol... follow up to j6l_hanopol query.

how does one improve on memory management? removing apps, etc?

thanks

8. macbeth

macbeth Member

The freeware Whatsize really helped me free as much as 20 Gigs in my MBP. I discovered an 8Gig disk image file which has been lurking in my laptop for months. I don't even have any idea why it was there. Good riddance!

9. Rain Man

Rain Man Member

good question j6l_hanopol... follow up to j6l_hanopol query.

how does one improve on memory management? removing apps, etc?

thanks

10. eydzhey

eydzhey Member

try xslimmer. :D i recommend it. i saved around 3 gigs of free space.

11. Rain Man

Rain Man Member

eydzhey THANKS!

12. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

this is great news. I have only 2gb left in my MB. Dont really know why.. I will try all your suggestions until I save up for a new HDD

13. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

monoligual is great! it gave me around 3 to 4 gigs :)

14. surgfish

surgfish Active Member

i dunno how to use whatsize and macjanitor.... what am I suppose to do?

15. benniboi

benniboi New Member

im trying monolingual now.. but what's the architectures for? is it ok to delete the checked items? (they're checked by default) thanks in advance!
    btw im using a mb 2.0 c2d
    see pic
    [​IMG]

16. bertoo1960

bertoo1960 Member

Try reducing the number of users in your mac because each user consumes space for his files.

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Member

I use the app called TRIM THE FAT.... I think it makes all UB programs into purely INtel based so you cut down on the size of some of your applcations.

18. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, Whatsize doesn't really do anything except show you the amount of hard disk space occupied by the files in certain folders. It's meant as a tool to help you find out where the biggest files are, so you can take a look at them and determine if you can trash them or at least archive them to CDs or DVDs. When you start Whatsize, give it a little time because it has to check all your folders to get the file sizes.

19. berniedd

berniedd Member

OS X is Unix based, and Unix was originally meant for use by computers that were never to be turned off. Between 3-5 AM, when computer usage was expected to be at a minimun, Unix did its automatic disk keeping functions (remove old log files, orphaned files, leftover files, etc). Few of use keep our Macs on at these times, so Macjanitor was designed to run these tasks anytime we wanted. You simply double click the downloaded file that automatically unpacks and installs the program (You have to drag the expanded program file to the applications folder), and run the application. When you run it, it gives you a choice of running the daily, weekly, monthly, or all tasks. Using Macjanitor on a 3-yr old computer, I once recovered 1 GB of wasted hard drive space.

I've also been able to recover 500 MB by using Monolingual on my freshly installed Tiger. Thinking I may in the future need some help with web sites in these languages, I did not remove French, Spanish, Norwegian, Japanese, German, English and Tagalog of course, and a few others.

20. mnx

mnx Active Member

i just used TidyUp! on my drives (looked for duplicate files and old files that i don't need anymore... after an hour of sorting through the results, i've regained a bit over 300gb of storage space...