MacBook Air disk usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by annie_mae, Jul 16, 2018.

1. annie_mae

annie_mae Member

I haven't posted in a while, so, hello to everyone here! :D

On to my issue. I can't seem to identify what's on my drive. I have a 128GB MacBook Air, 11-inch early 2014 and as of this writing, my free space is less than half a GB. The Photos library and the iTunes library are both in an external drive. I back up my iPhone on this computer, if that helps. I'm not sure if each back up is a separate file. If that's the case, how do I delete the old files?

2. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

Hi there.

go to About this Mac > Storage tab > Manage

you should be able to see with more detail what's in your hard disk. HTH.

annie_mae likes this.
  3. marvinp

marvinp Member

Open iTunes > Preferences > Devices. You should see a list of all backups. You can delete the older ones and just keep the most current.

ronjet and annie_mae like this.
  4. annie_mae

annie_mae Member

@zoo101 I forgot which OS I had before I posted this but I was able to delete enough to upgrade to High Sierra. The Storage tab wasn't there before, but it is now.

@marvinp This was the culprit. 4 iOS devices were backed up in my mac. :whistle:

ronjet likes this.
  5. zoo101

zoo101 Well-Known Member

glad you found it :cool:

I try to keep atleast 20gb of free space on my internal HD. Everything else is saved on iCloud, my NAS or to an external drive

ronjet likes this.