MacBook Air battery replacement question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dennis Fontanilla, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Dennis Fontanilla

Dennis Fontanilla New Member

Since apple cannot replace the battery of my MacBook Air. I've decided to buy my own battery at Amazon. I know some people here would refer Newertech batteries. I've had a bad experience with them. I replaced the battery of my old MacBook Pro Early 2011. I followed all the recalibration steps for the battery. Guess what a few years later the battery cycle is still at 5 cycles and the battery would die down after using it for 1 1/2 hour. I've decided to purchase a battery at Amazon. I just want to know if you have to do anything special after you install it. Do you need to recalibrate the battery again? Is that really needed? I prefer just installing the new battery and just charging it until it becomes full.

2. MBP2014

MBP2014 New Member

Hi good day, How did you calibrate the battery?

3. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

4. MBP2014

MBP2014 New Member

The calibration for battery need at-least twice a month charge in full 100% then keep the charger plug on the device leave it for 2 hours then unplug it then keep using the machine until the battery reach 0% or empty power then full charge up to 100% again and thats it. Just do this twice a month.

I bought a battery for MBP 15" Retina Mid 2014 and it looks like same as original base on the printed label on the battery and there is LCI (Liquid Contact Indicator) which Original Battery have from Apple. After installation on this unit the battery has a power charge 65% then i've tried to full charge the battery then when it reach 18% while playing a video continuously it is automatically shutdown, imagine it has a power of 18% then it is not normal to shut off, what i did i've tried that calibration procedure which i found in the internet and it is working perfectly, now the battery reach up to 0% before the unit goes off. I've experienced this in two different battery on same two model machine the other battery reach the 5% before it shut off and the other is 18%...Now both are reaching the 0% and there is a warning notification on 5% level which doesn't have a warning before on first time installation...

#4 MBP2014, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. rage30

rage30 Member

Hi am also going to change the battery of my macbook pro. Is the newertech battery the one being sold by ynazal? Thanks.

6. DenzDaniel

DenzDaniel Member

After receiving the battery, just install and plug-in then start using your Macbook Air. Calibration is not needed. Just Enjoy your laptop and don’t worry about the battery... You should be fine.

7. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

Where can I purchase a battery for MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012) and have it serviced? Thanks for the reco.

8. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Awwww if only we weren't in martial law... I love those tiny Macs, so simple so easy to work with!
    Oh btw if you have replaced the original ssd yet I wouldn't store sensitive data on it anymore since some had problems failing they had a recall on them.

9. Treb22

Treb22 Active Member

Ok. Noted

#9 Treb22, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  10. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Just get them off Lazada:

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?...input&spm=a2o4l.home.search.go.239e6db4DUw9zH

Just make sure you have the exact model specs (like my early 2015 MBA 11-inch is A1465--you can find it at the bottom of your case, near where it says "Made in China," haha).

I've done this many, many times with my MacBook Airs and Pros. Installation can be DIY (the battery usually comes with the two screwdrivers you will need--make sure your seller offers them if you don't have them, as these are Torx screws), done in 15-20 minutes. Mind where you put those screws and don't forget to lift up and replace the battery cable.