Macbook Air 2020

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by denpacs, Mar 18, 2020.

1. jpbl1976

jpbl1976 New Member

This is exactly correct. YouTubers sometimes behave like bottom-feeders -- not all, but many of them do. Apple products are immensely popular and anything trashing Apple's latest products is a certified way to get a lot of views -- and because groupthink is so prevalent on the Internet, any attempt to debunk these popular YouTubers' ridiculous stress tests (on devices that were never meant to run those programs in the first place) is met with derision. It's actually comforting that the old heads over at MacRumors debunked the rubbish those people were propagating regarding the MBA. But sites like 9to5Mac that tend to be clickbait-y even during the best of times were also spreading those dubious stories.

2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

With so many options for entertainment you need to cause a bit of a stir to get people's attention.

I am thankful for some of the videos namely the "overheating" 2018 Macbook Pro 15" Core i9. If YouTuber Dave Lee did not point it out then the 16" would not have gotten a better cooling solution.

Intel's very high thermal design point may also have been a motivator for Apple to move to Apple silicon.

2021 Macbook Air with Apple silicon will benefit from the change of chips but over 80% of apps from 3rd party devs would not become Unversal 2 binaries until late 2022 or over 80% of apps from 3rd party devs would not become Apple silicon-only binaries until late 2024.

3. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

The Macbook Air 2020 is now available at Apple PH.

Pupkin, memphis and Provboy like this.
  4. kcirecarg718

kcirecarg718 Well-Known Member

Is the MacBook Air 2020 already available in our Apple authorized resellers?

5. King

Why you should buy Intel Macs today rather than wait for the Macs with Apple Silicon next year.

6. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm using one now and apparently, the grainy camera image issue is real. comparing it with my other macbooks, the difference in quality is very noticeable.

7. bongbenitez

bongbenitez New Member

Hi. I plan to purchase my son (incoming College freshman this October) a 2020 Macbook Air via the "For Education" /"Shop for University"....and will use a credit card.
    A late graduation gift for a son who graduated High School as class valedictorian!

My experience with iPads and iPhones acquisitions are local store purchases or Telco subscriptions.
    I was searching for forums to assist me in my purchase. Good thing I found this discussion. I was able to see it only last week.

Since this will be our first purchase of a MacBook Air and online thru Apple.com/ph via "For Education", I do have some queries:
    1. Will the MBA be sourced locally or abroad?
    2. Will I still pay taxes when the item is delivered to our house in Quezon City?
    3. Tried doing a mock purchase, delivery is 10/6 - 10/13. Do you think the item will be delivered earlier?
    4. What is your take on the AppleCare Protection Plan? Should I consider getting?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

8. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

First and foremost, congrats to your son and to you! Valedictorian is a fantastic accomplishment.
    I can only reply to question 4, and yes AppleCare is definitely worth the money. Apple’s warranty service is great, and their hardware is known to have odd issues now and then.

9. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Congratulations to you and your son!

1. Apple PH online store is based in SG but the products are shipped directly from China ( not sure where exactly there). But if you want to buy one and get it immediately, you may reach out to the APRs. They usually have some form of education discount (but it is a minimal discount). You may also try reputable gray market sellers online or in GH (Products mostly come from HK, or sometimes UAE. It is eligible for apple care and the standard warranty as well) as they usually are the cheapest sans buying abroad.
    2. As what my experience is, and what the others have commented in the Apple Store PH thread; All taxes are paid when you order through the Apple online store.
    3. Shipping times are rarely early, and mostly late. But the lockdown has made delivery time erratic.
    4. As with no. 1 and what @eag said earlier. It is worth it especially if you plan for your son to use it for his entire college journey and/or beyond.

10. bongbenitez

bongbenitez New Member

EAG, Thanks! :) For replying my No. 4 question, now I can make an informed decision.

11. bongbenitez

bongbenitez New Member

Thanks, Shinahashirome.
    I will use apple.com/ph education store for the purchase since it gives a bigger discount.
    I haven't told my son yet of the purchase to spare him the agony of waiting for the MBA. He will use his old pc laptop meantime.
    Good to know I don't have to worry about customs and taxes upon delivery.
    And yes, I will get the Protection Plan.

Since all you here are the MBA experts here, care to comment on my mock selection?
    It will be our first MBA purchase.

• Retina display with True Tone
    • 1.1GHz dual-core 10th-generation Intel Core i3 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
    • 8GB 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
    • 256GB SSD storage
    • Intel Iris Plus Graphics
    • Backlit Magic Keyboard - US English
    • Touch ID
    • Force Touch trackpad
    • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    P51,990
    • change processor to
    • 1.1GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i5 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
    Add P5,000, new total is P56,990

or
    • change processor to
    • 1.2GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    Add P7,500, new total is P59,490

don't upgrade the 256GB SSD storage since an external Hard Drive can be connected (am I correct ? )
    don't upgrade the 8GB since a 16GB memory may be overkill for college use and can be added later (am I correct ?)

Your comments will be highly appreciated.
    Will purchase probably before the end of the week.

12. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

Hi Again, regarding your mock selection. Here are some questions and comments from my personal opinion.

1. Never upgrade to the top of the line i7 CPU. It is not worth it as what reviewers (and some users I know) are saying. If your son needs 4 physical cores, the i5 CPU is more than enough and is actually just a slight underclock(negligibly less fast) from the i7 with the same iGPU(integrated graphics, this is helpful if your son will do some graphics work like video editing projects). If the apps he will be using will be more on productivity apps (Office 365, G suite/drive), browser-based apps (using the school's LMS, Canva, etc.), or Videoconferencing apps (zoom, G meet, Webex, or others) then the i3 will be fine.
    2. I agree with your choice of storage, and if your son's school has an education subscription to G Suite or Office 365 Edu; then running out of storage won't really be an issue.
    3. As for the RAM, this is where it gets a little bit tricky. Is he a user who opens a lot of windows and browser tabs at the same time? If yes then the 16gb of ram might be the better upgrade. If not then 8gb is fine, especially if he uses the Safari browser.

I personally regret getting only the 8gb of RAM since I keep a lot of tabs running and switch from those to other apps in my workflow. But that's me. If I remember correctly, running out of RAM aside from High CPU using apps (video-photo editing apps) are the reasons why a brand new mac can feel sluggish at times. (lagging or delayed responses).

Hope this helps you.

P.S.
    It's also a good idea to buy an extra USB-c to USB-c cable (not from apple since you can find compatible ones that are cheaper) as the white apple cables usually become dirty real quick, and also some USB-C to USB-A adapters( either a dongle like this or a hub like this) for your external drive that uses USB-A.

13. vgsison

vgsison Well-Known Member

Bought a 512GB i5 version at Istudio Shang few weeks ago. The heating issue is real. My MBA goes up more than 60 Deg easily. The fans kicked at higher rpms and down throttled the processor performance unless I reduced open apps and multiple windows. So for those who are sensitive about heating issues, i wont recommend this MBA version. Upgraded from a Macbook 2016.

Shinahashirome likes this.
  14. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

Hi Folks, I'm planning to purchase either a MB Air or Pro from an authorized Apple retailer in Manila since I haven't really tried shipping electronic items from my location here in Singapore. I initially sought answers from LBC but I'm just too wary about the shipping process although the difference vs Manila price isn't too significant.

Besides, I'm gifting the device to my nephews who are still in first and second grade so the education discount isn't in my options. I could readily purchase it from the Apple PH Online Store if they are qualified. The kids have moved to the far north but I'm taking advantage of their medical visit to Manila for a week or so and use this chance to pick up the machine where it's available.

I've checked the APRs' websites but most of which show that the items are sold out.

A doctor-friend advised me to get from LMK Technology Systems because according to him, that's where artistas would go when there's scarcity in supply. I wouldn't mind spending extra but it would also help a lot if I could still acquire it at a better price considering our financial situation while we all go through this global health crisis. It would really have been nice if we're back in the days when the name of Charlie could mostly solve this.

After reading our members' experiences here with APRs, I couldn't help but have second thoughts especially when it comes to after-sales services. I couldn't help but compare how efficient it is to have at least 3 Apple Stores plus authorized service centers within this island to help address issues that may arise versus the setup in PH.

Will all this, I'd really appreciate your thoughts / recommendations - where to get the MBA / MBP in Manila. Thank you :)

15. King

Apple SEA & their resellers are really raking in large profits by the risk averse purchase decisions.

There are cheaper ways to get a MBA 2020 but people refuse to do so because of the refusal to think outside the box.

Pupkin likes this.
  16. kcirecarg718

kcirecarg718 Well-Known Member

MacBook Air tends to overheat just like before specially in tropical countries such as Philippines. Better settle for MacBook Pro.

17. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

LMK is ok.
    The cheapest price is always greenhills.
    Personal suggestion is to wait until its better to fly and just deliver the computer yourself...plus you get a mini vacation and get to see them open your gift and teach them how to use it... theyre just kids just buy the biggest remote controlled thing you can ship for now....that will definitely make them remember you.

imart likes this.
  18. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

I'd agree with the joy of handing them gifts myself as I've been doing it over the years but online learning will start soon. I'm taking the queue with the idea of flying seamlessly only by next year. May I know which retailer in Greenhills?