Macbook Air 2020

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by denpacs, Mar 18, 2020.

1. cHad

cHad Active Member

An experienced seller right there. if i can only give a thousand like, i would.

2. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Well, good for you. But not everyone is circumspect about what they are dealing with especially when it involves rather high-end electronics like Apple. That’s why there was a marked increase in online scams during the lockdown because people tend to be naive and trusting despite warnings to that effect.

Seven Leaves and Sunil_K like this.
  3. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

With increase unemployment and underemployment you will expect bullshit like this.

But the ECQ allowed me to sell some accessories at 3-4x markup. People whine but I just block them or tell em off that "seller's market, suck it".

4. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

Forgive my language but there are just so many ignorant and dumb sellers on FB’s marketplace that it gives me a headache. So many improperly labeled and priced Macs it boggles the mind considering that with a little effort you can easily check online the proper specs and average prices of any Mac.

On another note I asked the people in PowerMac when will the 2020 Air will be released and they told me mid July. I’m guessing the Apple store PH release will also coincide with our local release as well.

#64 Seven Leaves, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Pupkin and Zoey like this.
  5. King

I just forgive them for they know not what they do. ;)

They do it for the money.

6. King

Why I'm buying my 1st Mac with Apple silicon in 2024.

A 2019 or 2020 MBA should have a maximum life of up to 2028.

Rosetta 2 will never replicate Universal 2 binary speeds.

#66 King, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Zoey likes this.
  7. gansagirl10

gansagirl10 New Member

Hi, I am planning to get the new MBA 2020 and I just want to know if the new MBA can withstand 15+ or more tabs open on the browser while using Microsoft Word or Excel and a PDF reader without overheating?

This scenario is pretty much my life most of the time when I do paperwork and research for school.
    Thanks!

8. King

Any notebook that costs more than $1,000 can do that.

For 80% of users will do fine with the MBA.

If you want to do 4K video editing then you're pushing it.

The first MBA from January 2008 could do that.

#68 King, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Pupkin, gansagirl10, Zoey and 2 others like this.
  9. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

I feel the same way as you Seven. I’m OC when it comes to descriptions and It drives me nuts they mislabel their products. For example, when I was buying a second hand 4K iMac for my cousin I wasted my time driving an hour to a seller only to find out that it’s a different model. The seller thought all thin iMacs were “retina 4K.” He even priced it as such and posted a screen shot from another seller because he thought it was the same thing! That’s reality, so many lazy and dumb online sellers.

Pupkin likes this.
  10. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

The overheating reputation of the Air came from the videos of YouTube reviewers using high end video and graphic stressing benchmarks Like Cinebench to Stress test and max out the Air. It’s a fun science experiment but not an accurate real world test because those who will be using the Air won’t be editing 4K video or gaming.

Like what King said the Air can easily handle your use case without overheating.

Seven Leaves, Pupkin and gansagirl10 like this.
  11. gansagirl10

gansagirl10 New Member

Thank you for responding. I will def get MBA 2020.
    All I have to do now is wait for it to arrive on Apple's authorized reseller. Its been too long!
    Anyway, keep safe everyone!

Pupkin likes this.
  12. King

What I would have done was ask for the serial number (ideally photo on the box/plastic/metal where it is printed on) of the Apple product and plug it into https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

It will give you exact original specs of the product.

The serial number is even found in "About this Mac"

I always ask this from the buyer of my product to verify if what they're buying is actually a match to the product I'm selling. I dont want "change of mind" purchases as it's a waste of my time.

My post below relates to my experience as a seller from other buyers.

If there is "customer rights" and then there should be "customer obligations". Obligations meaning if the customer's intent before entering the store or buying was to never even buy the product then that's so so wrong as you're wasting the store's time and efforts in serving a non-buying person.

It's like going to a Nike Store Makati to fit the shoe then order it at https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/ because it's 80% off. You wasted the time & money of Nike Store Makati.

I even had 1 tyre kicker who asked me for the URL of the store where I bought my sold items from. Some people aren't aware of how dumb their actions are.

#72 King, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    jellyjean likes this.
  13. King

YouTubers get revenue from how many views occur and the country of origin or profile of these viewers. Depending on who or where they're watching from determines how much money they make per view.

That's why YouTubers like to highlight the flaws of any Apple product. It gets a lot of views and press. Even if the flaws occur only under synthetic or very unusual use case.

Other than the low revenue views from Android or Window trolls the typical Apple consumer tends to have higher buying power and if they're from outside developing countries then they get a higher rate.

MBAs are designed for over 80% of typical consumer use case like browsing, office suite, email, IM, VoIP, streaming, casual gaming, simple photo editing of 50MP or lower images, short & simple 4K video editing, basic 3D work, basic software development, etc.

My use case is above but I got the Macbook Pro 16" because I wanted the 16" screen, Magic Keyboard, base configuration RAM & SSD.

Intel & AMD chips inside are overpowered for my use case. When I saw the base Core i9 being sold for less than $2,400 (from $2,800) I almost bought it for the 1TB SSD but decided not to as I have no reason to get a the top end Intel or AMD chip.

14. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

That’s the kicker, I did check the serial from the screen shot that he posted online. When I called him out he admitted he pulled it from a different seller because he thought they had the same model so it did not make any difference. Oh Lord oh mighty!

15. King

Let me guess. The seller’s located in a place that makes you think that suing them for fraud would be a waste of time.

The place of sale could be an indication that the item is fenced.

#75 King, Jul 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  16. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Not really. Our meeting place was in his condo in a well off part of town. It’s more of a case of being lazy and ignorant then malice. Met his wife and kids, actually a nice guy but a dumb seller.

17. King

EDIT:

My apologies.

The facepalm was for the lazy, ignorant & dumb seller who had the obiligation to buyers like you to give correct and accurate item terms and conditions.

They stress me out.

Not you, the good faith purchaser.

[​IMG]

#77 King, Jul 5, 2020
  18. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Well excuse me. I don't appreciate your condescending attitude, King.

19. King

My apologies.

The facepalm was for the lazy, ignorant & dumb seller who had the obiligation to buyers like you to give correct and accurate item terms and conditions.

They stress me out.

Not you, the good faith purchaser.

#79 King, Jul 5, 2020
  20. jpbl1976

jpbl1976 New Member

You can definitely do all of that with the 2020 MBA (I'm using the i5 model) because I'm doing it right now ;). It's actually an excellentwork computer so long as your work doesn't includes heavy coding with VMs or heavy 4K video editing. The only downside is that its webcam is mediocre, which unfortunately is an issue in 2020 because of the prevalence of video-conferencing.

But seriously, if my use case required me to do either of those two things on the go, I'd probably just get a MacBook Pro. You can even run pretty big Excel spreadsheets (files in the 30-50 MB range) on the MBA with no issues.

But do yourself a favor if you're not using Safari and don't use Chrome. If you want the Chrome experience minus the Chrome overhead, Edge Chromium for MacOS has a lighter system footprint and despite MSFT's recent bad PR from a smattering of tech bloggers complaining about being forced to use it on Windows, it's actually a pretty good browser. It's a breeze to set-up if you use its built-in import function -- it'll even import your active sessions, cookies, extensions, etc. from Chrome.

#80 jpbl1976, Jul 5, 2020
    civic05 likes this.