Macbook Air 2020

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by denpacs, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

I can’t blame the sellers though, its their livelihood. With that said, not a fan of second hand resellers. Their existence raises the prices of the second hand market for Macs in general.

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  2. 74LS00

74LS00 New Member

Will it not be taxed (above 10k php value) once it lands here in the Philippines? Also, how long is the estimate transit time to get here? I’m also considering the same route that you did. Thanks in advance!

Pupkin likes this.
  3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Bought a couple of laptops through Johnny Air before, no tax. My latest purchase was a refurbished MacBook Pro which which I was charged 3k two years ago for delivery. Don’t send it through regular mail they will surely tax you.

Spoke to some store owners of computer hardware in Greenhills and they told me that laptops have been selling like hot cakes mostly because lots of students are preparing for online classes this year. Maybe this is a factor why second hand MacBook Pro prices are not going down despite of the pandemic.

#43 Salaryman Ryan, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Zoey and Seven Leaves like this.
  4. Provboy

Provboy Well-Known Member

I was looking at used 13" 2015 MBP prices because I wanted to sell mine, to replace it with a MacBook Air 2020.

The local used prices surprised me - still expensive. I was expecting to sell my MBP much lower than the prices I saw online

5. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

Is Johnny Air better than Shipping Cart? Looking to purchase on Amazon as well.

6. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Exactly right?!! Don’t be fooled though, the reasonably priced ones are actually being sold quickly. I tried to score a 30K 2017 Air and they were sold even before I could reserve them.

7. Salaryman Ryan

Sorry no idea, they are certainly better than the local post office. I'm just an old Johnny Air customer so been using them for years.

Calhoun likes this.
  8. theadvocate_ivan

In my experience, Shipping cart is better than Johnny Air especially if you are expecting several packages from different sellers. Shipping cart consolidates everything making you save on shipping (to Manila).

I haven't looked back since I started using shipping cart.

9. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

Same here I used to be a JAC fan until I tried Shipping Cart . No need to go to JAC office to pick up . Truly door to door

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  10. mree

mree Well-Known Member

People who bought the 2019 macbook air will really find it difficult to sell their unit at a lower price, considering the difference between the price of the 2019 base model vs the 2020 base model is high. People who want the new model would just have to get from the grey market or wait for the Apple store to start selling this locally.

Madami na din kasi ang may gusto ng 2020 model, considering that its pricing is, what I would refer to as, borderline pang masa.

11. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Why would you sell a 2019 model so soon? Typical ownership lasts 5-6 years or longer.

By 2025-26 the price difference between a 2019 and 2020 model will differ little.

I expect 2021-22 Macbook Airs to be sold even lower as the expected bill of materials will be lower but are faster with longer battery life.

12. cHad

cHad Member

Because of the keyboard.

But during wwdc 2020 the news that Apple will be switching away from Intel ; some might prefer to wait. But if i was going to buy a mba now; definitely the 2020 one with the better keyboard unless the 2019 is at a steal price.

13. King

Apple addressed that concern with a Keyboard Service Program for MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro that adds 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit.

So if you bought a 2019 model today then the keyboard warranty would expire June 30 2024.

From today until 2024 less than 80% of all apps you use will probably be Apple silicon-only. Some will use Rosetta 2 translation layer or if you're lucky Universal 2 binaries.

After WWDC 2005 I bought the last PowerPC Mac knowing that at most 80% of all apps will be Universal in early 2008 when I bought my first Macbook Pro.

I know someone who bought the first Macbook Pro in 2006 and they had to deal with the overhead of running PowerPC apps using Rosetta 1. They soon upgraded to a late 2008 Macbook Pro.

Back then upgrade cycles were 3 years. Today it's 5-6 years or until it falls apart and no one can fix it.

The transition may be faster this time around but if developer does not have the manpower to make Universal 2 binaries or Apple silicon-only apps then it'll be about 4 years for everyone to convert.

I'm extending the life of my 2012 Mac to 2024 Mac out of concerns about 3rd party apps not being Apple silicon-only.

#53 King, Jun 30, 2020 at 3:35 PM
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 3:55 PM
    ronjet likes this.
  14. cHad

cHad Member

I wasn't actually referring to the warranty. I was talking about the feel typing on that keyboard. I've used the 3rd gen butterfly keyboard and the new 'old' magic keyboard and they are miles apart. YMMV. I don't want to get stuck having a frustratingly bad typing experience for the next 4-5 years.

As for app adoption; there is one big difference now compared to back in 2005. That is developers have already been coding for the past 9-10 years on apple silicon. And if apple can match or even increase the performance of intel plus double-ing the battery life; people are going buy 1st gen apple silicon macs. Further forcing developers to hasten adaption because they want to ride the initial cash flood of untapped mac+apple silicon app market. Apple silicon has the proven track record of doing just that. There are already millions of apps on iOS that can easily be then run on macs.

main reasons people will convert:
    1. performance
    2. battery life
    3. apps

apple already nailed all this on iOS on apple silicon. I predict by the time apple has completely replaced all intel macs would be the best time to buy a new mac; and that is by 2022. I want to use my laptop for 4-5 years before upgrading so I'd pick a 2018 released mac at a discounted or used price right now if I'm planning long term.... but then again I hate those butterfly keyboards.

ronjet likes this.
  15. rrm111

rrm111 New Member

I'm looking for a store (online or physical stores, preferablyauthorized reseller) that will both allow me to have both student discount and 0% 12 months installment. Is proof of being a student necessary in the retail stores? How about if I'm taking up law or MBA, would that suffice?

16. King

You have a point. People buying Macs want a great experience and aren't that price sensitive to make things simot.

I could get around the butterfly keybord with a external keyboard. I should have done that with my water-damaged keyboard than spend 10x by having it repaired. Or better yet just sell it as is and bought the next model.

Yes, Apple SoC on non-Mac platforms have been programmed for but legacy code from older Mac apps may not be ready to be "one click" recompile for Apple silicon.

For macOS & 1st party apps I believe will be ready between day 1-100. For 3rd party devs I think it will be dependent on their manpower budget. So that could be from day 1-1,000+.

No doubt Apple silicon will be a drastic departure from Intel but I am not confident that more than 80% of all apps will be Apple-silicon only earlier than 2023. For one thing user base will not hit critical mass within 2 years.

Earlier adopters, that is less than 20%, will upgrade within 2 years. About 60% of the market will stick to the 5-6 year upgrade cycle. While the rest will wait until their Mac isnt worth repairing.

2022 would be too early. I'd peg over 80% of all Mac apps being Universal 2 binaries and Apple silicon-only by 2024. Unless of course Rosetta 2's ok enough.

17. Salaryman Ryan

Apple.com/ph has an educational discount, go to the bottom of the page, look for "For Education" and click on "Shop for University." You will be able to view and buy at discounted education prices. No need for qualifications. Bought at the discounted price plenty of times before.

Pupkin likes this.
  18. rrm111

rrm111 New Member

But I don't think they have installment plan? I looking for something that offers both.

19. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Warning to those who look up for MacBooks on Facebook Marketplace. Lots of scams going on there. PNP ACG recently raided a condo in Pasig where a supposed pickup of a MacBook Air 2020 was suppose to take place. The item was being sold for Php9,999.00 only. The buyer (police poseur) was buying 10 units of the MBA. The seller said she had 50 units available in her condo. Turns out they were old Microsoft tablets, maybe 1st Gen Surfaces, not MBAs. The boxes were original but everything else was not what it was suppose to be. There were no power adaptors even. Apparently, she had already sold 23 of these units previously to unsuspecting customers using different aliases. She was taken into custody and the number of complainants had grown to 40.

So, beware.

gaol likes this.
  20. King

I've been selling items on Facebook Marketplace.

To protect myself from all possible scams I do the following
    • I only accept transactions at banks. Bank security is pretty solid and there is a CCTV inside.
    • I arrive about a half hour earlier at the bank. I get a customer number that has my savings account (opened to accept selling items) details and how much money will be deposited into it. This saves the buyer time and any possible mistakes. If ever the account gets compromised at most they'll get is less than P1,000.
    • When the buyer arrives I show the specs printed on the sealed box to the buyer to verify the items I am selling is exactly what they are buying
    • Payment must be made by the buyer over the counter at the bank while I'm inside the bank. This is to make sure that the bank notes deposited are legit. Tellers are trained to spot fakes.
    • Buyer only has the option to unseal the box once payment is made. They cannot change their mind. Only time they can reject order if all items listed on the box are incomplete. Only time I had a problem was when a sealed RMA unit did not have a power cord to which I refereed them to the dealer I bought it from. It was then resolved.
    During ECQ I do the following
    • I show a unique photo of the item i am selling with buyer's name on it.
    • buyer pays me via QR code
    • buyer books delivery app pickup and pays for delivery
    • i have the pickup point be 10 mins walk from my place
    • i send a video of the handover of the sealed item to the delivery person. I have the delivery person read what is being delivered and say it's sealed.
    • If there are any problems then it's the delivery app's fault.
    M.O. I've observed to counter my selling flow are the following

• They will agree to your ters of payment meeting at a specific bank to do over the counter transaction. At the last minute they will say they cannot meet me there due to traffic and prefer to see you the next city over at a food court. Why? Because they're flying out to Hong Kong later that day. Does not make sense whatsover almost everything Hong Kong is cheaper than in Manila. They don't have cash as well and will pay me via GCash to my bank. They then ask for my name and bank details. I refuse. As they cannot meet up with me personally they countered that a friend will buy on their behalf based our original arrangement. When the friend called he tried to renegotiate the deal. I just dropped the call and blocked them on my mobile # and social media.
    • Next buyer agrees to my terms. Last minute says their money is at another bank and they have to get from it there. I told the buyer that his bank has a branch in front of the door. then gave the excuse he gave the money to a poor friend. Doesn't reply next pay day.
    • Others are largely tyre kickers that aspire to a Apple product but can only afford a CherryMobile. Kadalasan they speak like palengkeros

cHad likes this.