Macbook Air 2020

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by denpacs, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Hong Kong. Green hills also have gray market sellers who sell brand new MacBooks for 5k less. Last year I was able to buy a base 15 inch MacBook Pro early 2019 (6 cores) for only 90k.

Seven Leaves likes this.
  2. CARS426

CARS426 New Member

Some people just feel more comfortable, rightly or not, to buy from authorized resellers, despite the higher price. I fall in the same category honestly.

miss_arci likes this.
  3. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

Unlike cameras, Apple upholds all of its units regardless where you bought them this is why I like them so much. Been buying from trusted gray market sellers for 15 years never had an issue. Even when I got a lemon 2016 MacBook Pro with a defective keyboard the whole unit was replaced with a brand new unit after 5 repairs. Saved a ton of money.

jpbl1976 likes this.
  4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

So how did it go? Where you able to get a reasonably priced 2018-2019 ish Air? Been browsing the second hand market and sellers are not lowering their prices. I suggest just getting the 2020 Air instead of the older models once it is available. The more reliable keyboard alone is worth its weight in gold.

Seven Leaves, Zoey and jpbl1976 like this.
  5. John rei Manalo

John rei Manalo New Member

Sir, Need help to find a good quality mac b-new or 2nd hand

6. Gallilea Calpe

Gallilea Calpe New Member

Hi! Where can I get 5 to 10k discounted price? I need it for my daughters online class. Thank you

7. jpbl1976

jpbl1976 New Member

Look up AJT Gadget World on Facebook. He delivers COD in Metro Manila. Good guy. He’s supposed to have re-stock of the 2020 MBA 256gb model the week of May 31st — but he’s still got the 512gb model for PhP72k, which is nearly PhP3k off the official Apple SRP (i.e. the price published in the official Apple Store app). His pricing of the 256gb model is ~PhP2k less than the SRP. Usual Apple 1-year warranty.

The entry level model’s not that great, though — but it’s supposed to be adequate for schoolwork, although... maybe if your daughter’s going to do video editing for school, you might want to invest in the i5/512gb model. I’ve read comments that the 2020 MBA can run a bit hotter if you do a lot of video calls but I’m not sure what environment these people on Reddit and the Mac Rumors forums are running their devices at. 95% of the time, I operate my MacBook Pro in an air-conditioned room and so I never notice it running hot.

There are only 2 models available for the local market, from what I can tell from the Apple store app. If you want something better, like an i5 with 16gb of RAM or an i7 model, it has to be customized, which can take a long time/is much more expensive — and you’ll have to order it through an official Apple reseller like PMC.

#27 jpbl1976, May 31, 2020
    Last edited: May 31, 2020
  8. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

I think the Apple Store app will allow custom configs when the MBA 2020 becomes available for ordering. As of now, the online store and the app only shows the two base configs which are the i3/256 and i5/512 models.

Zoey likes this.
  9. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Ok I give up. The second hand prices locally are ridiculous. No way I’m buying an older Air at 50k when a brand new 2020 Macbook Air in the Philippine Apple store is only 52k. If only they make it available for order soon...

Seven Leaves likes this.
  10. Seven Leaves

Well the cheap and reasonably priced ones are usually bought out quickly. Its usually only the unreasonably priced units that are left.

miss_arci and Zoey like this.
  11. Salaryman Ryan

The cheapest MacBook Air you can find right now is the one being sold at the Philippine Apple Store. Go to the bottom of the website and click “Shop for university” and you will see that the previously priced MacBook Air of 56,000 pesos is now just 52,000 pesos. Apple does not qualify for these discounts so you can buy without issue.

Unfortunately you may need to wait a bit as you cannot order it yet. You ca just see the price.

miss_arci likes this.
  12. rwnjne

rwnjne New Member

Do you guys know or have an idea when it is going to be officially available in the Ph?

13. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

No one knows. It’s been like that on Apple’s site ever since the new Air was announced

14. snipes

snipes Active Member

That might be the reason why Apple is delaying deployment here.

Apple authorized resellers are requesting Apple Inc time to liquidate non-moving items.

In the US some dealers knocked the price down by $100

miss_arci and Zoey like this.
  15. Calhoun

Calhoun Active Member

I suspect it's really a logistics/COVID issue. Might also be a supply chain issue, since factories worldwide shut down or are operating at limited capacity. Just bad timing that new products were released one after during these times.

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  16. Salaryman Ryan

Yesterday I stoped my auntie from purchasing a brand new sealed in the box 2017 Air selling at 47k. When I started to look around I discovered this was the regular ongoing rate for the 2017 Air. Yikes, no matter how you look at it, it’s a terrible value. Unless you really really really need one, it’s just better to wait for the 2020 Air.

miss_arci, Seven Leaves and Zoey like this.
  17. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

I’m actually considering importing one through Jonny Air because Philippine prices if the Air seems artificially high.

I can get a base model through Amazon for 900 Usd and even with taxes and JohnnyAir fees will probably still be cheaper then what local seller charge.

Seriously? 47k brand new for a 2017 Air? Sure you get regular ports, but goodness, that’s too much for 3 year old tech. Sorry but I feel bad to whoever buys those at those prices.

People, buying an Apple laptop is expensive. Do your research, with the internet and all it’s so easy these days. Don’t fall pray for these unreasonable prices.

#37 Zoey, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    Salaryman Ryan and Seven Leaves like this.
  18. Seven Leaves

I know a friend who bought a brand new 2017 Air last March for 52k. When he discovered that Apple charges the same price for the 2020 he got quite upset. I told him to consult me first before buying an Air. Lesson learned for him

I’m sure there are many people like my friend who buy blind. These are the customers many resellers count on because they make more money from them unlike us who are more savvy.

miss_arci, Salaryman Ryan and Zoey like this.
  19. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

Ohhhh kay I'm done waiting. I broke down and finally bought a base Air 2020 and a i3 Quad Core Mac Mini both for 1,768 USD. Taxes, delivery, and everything.

[​IMG]

It converts to php 92,048.00, plus around 3 to 4k for Johnny Air delivery. Cheaper then buying locally and even cheaper then buying at the Philippine Apple Online Store.

#39 Zoey, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  20. snipes

snipes Active Member

But why can Zoey order all items already?

Other than brick & mortar dealers asking for a delay of rollout I suspect that Apple needs NTC approval before they can ship any SKU to the Philippiens.

As ECQ was lifted in June 1 the certification process will be completed in a few weeks time.

It's cheaper to buy from a US authorized reseller and have it freight forwarded here than buying from from PH, HK or SG.

Shipping of the MBA or MBP 13" wouldnt cost more than $34.

Zoey likes this.