Macbook Air 2018 Double Space Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by paul995, Sep 26, 2020.

1. paul995

paul995 Member

Hi guys!

So my Mac Air is giving me double space randomly when hitting the spacebar once. I've done the remedy of tweaking the Key Repeat and Delay Until Repeat but to no avail.

This computer is out of warranty. However, do you think this one is covered under Keyboard Service Program for Macbook Macbook Air, and Macbook Pro?

Anybody here who had theirs serviced with the same problem?

TIA!

2. Aargh

Aargh PhilMUG Addict Member

That is covered by the keyboard replacement program.

3. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

4. paul995

paul995 Member

Thank you! Just wanted to know if anybody here has/had the same problem?

5. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

Luckily, my 2018 Air's keyboard never had any issues. I bought it at launch day so it's almost (if not) 2 years old already. You might consider using a silicone keyboard protector, I believe that the reason my Air's keyboard is still in great condition even though it uses the 3rd Gen Butterfly Keyboard.

Hope you get yours sorted out. Best of luck! :)

6. paul995

paul995 Member

I’m prolly the unlucky one. I type a lot and it’s infuriating to go back and do backspaces for accidental double spaces.

Doesn’t the keyboard protector get in the way when you’re closing it? Or do you only put it when in use and take it out when you’re not using it?

7. Edelheid

Edelheid PhilMUG Addict Member

Not that specific model, but my unit with the same keyboard has just gone through its second replacement last week. I’m pretty sure the problem you described is exactly the issue that’s being covered by Apple’s Keyboard Service Program. I suggest clarifying it with a service center (Beyond the Box, PMC, QCD, etc.) that honours it.

I brought my unit to QCD and got my unit repaired in 6 days. Turnaround time for repair is always set to 3–4 weeks to account for possible delays, but if you’re lucky your replacement part could arrive early like mine had. It seems like many service centres are always running thin on appointment slots for iPhone, but for Macs they are often in abundance. So there’s a good chance your machine won’t take very long to get inspected to see if it’s covered by the replacement program or not. (But it should be, the key issue you described is exactly the same as mine before.)

#7 Edelheid, Oct 2, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    paul995 and amieldh like this.
  8. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

8108XhQCjOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

No, it does not. But you might need to adjust to the way it feels when typing though. You can search for one in Lazada.

9. iAmMichael05

iAmMichael05 Active Member

Apple doesn't recommend putting a keyboard protector when closing your laptop lid.

https://support.apple.com/en-ph/HT203671

amieldh likes this.
  10. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

What I do is use a keyboard protector when using it outdoors, or when eating. then remove it when closing the lid. Wash it regularly with dishwashing liquid.

amieldh likes this.
  11. paul995

paul995 Member

Thanks! Will be dropping by PowerMac next week to have it checked. Appreciate the replies!

amieldh likes this.