Macbook Air 13" - Should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by flixxx, Mar 30, 2014.

1. flixxx

flixxx New Member

Hi,

I am eyeing on the Macbook Air 13" BTO: i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB as my FIRST EVER MAC netbook. I wanted to buy the MBP or MBPr but my concern is the weight of the machine since I will be using it as my work horse. My concern is, will there be any problems if I install a Windows 7 via Bootcamp? (Mac OS - personal files (for surfing purposes only and I don't store photos, videos, movies etc. I don't play games either. | Windows OS - work files (I need outlook, word, excel, powerpoint and visio for diagramming purposes)

What is the (preferred) ratio of the partitioning between Mac and Windows OS given my specs above?

Also, how do I install it if the MBA has no internal drive?

Hoping for your replies! Thanks!

2. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

Welcome to PhilMUG! Take time to read the rules, http://www.philmug.ph/forum/f10/philmug-forum-rules-84644/

Great choice for a first Mac, if portability is your priority then you made the right choice, though i suggest trying out the display units of the 13" retina MBPs, the screen is really gorgeous and will only add a little more weight.

You won't have any problems with bootcamp, and the bootcamp assistant will guide you to making a bootable usb installer of windows (you can even use the installer on other windows laptops). Partitioning will depend on your usage, if it was me i'd go 80-100gb for windows.

Good luck on your purchase!

3. flixxx

flixxx New Member

Thank you for your reply! I have another concern. Since I will be using the machine during work hours (let's say for 8 hrs or more) what is more recommendable to use between Parallels and Bootcamp? Thanks!

4. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Parallel would be more suitable if you work on multi-OS case to case basis workload. If you have to work on windows while need access on mac, Parallel is recommendable. But for me, i usually work and play Online games on Windows, Bootcamp is much better.

5. manager

manager Active Member

If weight is your concern, the MBPr is just .5 lb or 226 grams heavier which I think is unnoticeable.

6. vsperalta

vsperalta Member

wouldn't that ".5 lb" be significant if you walk for a few kms and takes the disproportionately high stairs of the mrt?

7. renelou

renelou New Member

Before I purchased my MBPr 13, I had a chance to tote around a friend's MBA 13 and another friend's MBP 13 using my current messenger bag. (tigabuhat lang pag may gala)

I would say that the MBPr's weight is more similar to the MBA 13 than the MBP 13. It even fits in most MBA 13 slim sleeves. This is one of the two deciding factors I had when I made my MBPr 13 purchase. Weight and the Retina screen.

I bring mine while commuting for several hours during weekends and I no longer complain as much as I used to. If my brain is starting to think that my laptop is heavy, then I'd make it remember the weight of my previous laptops.

8. Rickrude

Rickrude Member

I had the same dilemma when I shifted from an i7 MBP 13inch.. The weight simply drags you.. finally I sold it..
    Less than a year, moved to MBA 13inch, the weight and battery life was jus remarkable.. then again, I sold it..
    A few months back, got the iPad Air - the weight and retina display totally made it, but of course its not a workhorse as compared to a Pro..
    Then finally 5-days ago, I bought a MBPR 13inch, the battery life was just right and weight was unnoticeable, but the retina display (just like the iPad air) was just a breeze...

Bottomline - it depends on how you will actually use it, the retina display, performance and weight made it for me.

Lesson learned - No frequent visits at BTB, the habit will continue to hunt you and itch you in getting more apple products :D

9. putakti

putakti Active Member

tip on buying an apple laptop..

* don't compare its specs to others.. *

10. flixxx

flixxx New Member

Just a question, why did you sell your MBA 13 inch and what's the specs of it?

11. flixxx

flixxx New Member

Thank you!

12. Rickrude

Rickrude Member

MBA13 was a late 2013 model, its the 256 ssd mid variant. Sold it because I knew there was something missing, it sheer strength relies more on portability because of its weight.. then again i knew I was looking for more.

It could be the power of the MBPR but I am sure it was more of the Retina why I shifted. I thought portability (weight) will be an issue, definitely its NOT.

It wouldn't hurt in the future, that apple will release an all-new MBA with retina clarity :) then again, there goes the plan..

13. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

So I've been holding out getting a new laptop for the past year and a half, since I wasn't particularly drawn with the refresh of the MBA with the 8-hour battery. I thought that I could still wait it out and maybe wait for a MBA with an 8 hour battery AND a retina display. The plan was to pair it with an external hard drive, and the ultimate goal was to carry around a relatively lighter load compared to my current Blackbook.

But with what I've been reading on this thread, I'm better off getting the MBP with Retina display, since it's just 0.5 pounds heavier, but with the power specs and storage, too. Am I correct in arriving at that conclusion?

14. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Yes, you are right, I have an MBA 13 Haswell and the screen is just like all the other old macbook with same thick bazel.
    I wish I used the funds to get my son a rMBP from the Ateneo Apple Store where it is only 57k

15. Rickrude

Rickrude Member

Absolutely right!
    You'd rather buy something that has more, instead of less that in the end you feel sorry about your purchase..
    Worst is you can't do anything about it and just wish that you could have bought the other you've always wanted.

16. flixxx

flixxx New Member

Aww. I'm really confused since I really have a tight budget and I am just going to avail the Mac for Education discount. I think I just have to settle with MBA 13. (Somewhat undecided)

17. Rickrude

Rickrude Member

Either or its still a mac... just save up for now for the next purchase...
    Budget and purpose should go hand-in-hand :)

18. kutsaratinidor

kutsaratinidor Active Member

As Rickrude said, "budget and purpose"

In my opinion, that target config for your MBA is good enough, it's sufficient enough for your needs, but if your budget will allow you to go for the mid level rMBP 13, I might suggest that instead.

19. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Dropped by Power Mac to look at the MBP and MBA side by side.

So I guess the only advantage of the Air is that it's 0.22kgs lighter, has 4 more hours of battery time (12 compared to 8, supposedly), and a price tag cheaper by around P12,000-13,000.

20. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

Battery Life as per Engadget.com
    MacBook Pro with Retina display (13-inch, 2013) 11:18 hours!!

MacBook Pro with Retina display review (13-inch, 2013)

as to the price difference, I bought my Haswell MBA on an impulse, open Box sale, 1 year warranty, from BTB for Php35,100.00. One of the many blessings I got for not being naughty but nice in 2013 :)