MacBook Accessories You Regret Buying

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by sillyserious, Sep 27, 2008.

1. sillyserious

sillyserious Member

Just got my first mac laptop, a white MacBook, and was immediately on the hunt for accessories. The first ones I got were a screen protector, an Arix magic eraser, and a silicon keyboard protector (transparent).

The screen protector was a wise move, I think. And the Arix eraser worked wonders on the few smudges I managed to subject my new MacBook to. (I cut the foam bars into small cubes to conserve their use :) )

But, after just a few days of using the transparent silicon keyboard protector, I noticed that it attracted dust and dirt, making the shiny-new MacBook look prematurely used. Now I'm ready to admit that it was not such a good buy - at least for me. There goes my 1200.

Have you regreted buying any MacBook accessories? Why? Might help newbies like me temper our impulse accessory buying ;)

2. cubee

cubee Member

the silicon keyboard protector after awhile does look dirty specially on the letters you use the most... tried washing it but it's still there.
    since my keyboard is white, I decided to buy another cheaper silicon keyboard protector, it's just plain flat but for the price of 100-120 pesos, it's worth it.

#2 cubee, Sep 27, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. theelhombre

theelhombre Member

for my iMac- it is the lousy silicon cover for the keyboard- capdase pa naman.

it's just so much harder to type with the cover...

4. marckieMD

marckieMD Member

capdase silicon keyboard for me, it is now living inside my cabinet... also some of the bags that i bought in ebay...

5. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

I guess... the most "pinagsisisihan" accessory is the silicone cover. I got those too but trashed them after three days.. Another accessory I regretted buying is an expensive laptop bag and that Uniea U-suit. I could have bought other more important accessories such as a self-powered (AC) laptop cooling pad with usb hub.

6. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

The MacBook case... I never actually needed it, using it just suffocated the vents.

7. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I bought a clear green speck hard shell cover for my mac. I ended up not liking it and preferring the bare look. I ended up giving it to my girlfriend to use on her MacBook when she got hers. I also gave her the free silicon keyboard cover that I got when I got my MB at Digital Hub, since I ended up making way more typing errors that I do without it.

8. staci

staci Member

black incase hardshell :(

9. Mocha.Frap

Mocha.Frap Active Member

Mine's my Uniea-U suit. I should've left my mbp bare instead =(

10. x_jason_x

x_jason_x Member

Y did u regret buying the incase hardshell? I have been using mine for almost 6 months. Works perfect.

11. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

didn't really have to get anything, since i'm now using a black one. The time i was using a white one though was a different story. i bought garskin for it, the DJ style doodles, and it looked perfect, then i had to sell it. so for a reason, i regret buying that one, wasted my 1.5K...

12. jasondv

jasondv Member

A MacBook hard case. The MacBook is already considerably bigger and heavier than my old PB 12, and the case just made it even bigger and heavier.

13. sillyserious

sillyserious Member

Ditto on the typing errors while using the protector. Did your girlfriend like using the Speck hard shell and the silicon keyboard cover?

14. sillyserious

sillyserious Member

Hi, Cubee - Hope you don't mind me asking where you bought your plain, flat keyboard protector? And does using it affect your typing (e.g. more errors)?

15. marckieMD

marckieMD Member

are you serious? i love my black incase hardshell...

If only this accessory is available in the phils, i would have bought more colors...

I'm very satisfied with it...

16. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

speck crystal case - so many scratches when all the while I thought i was protecting my macbook
    cheap keyboard protector - not perfect fit. lots of smudges

17. cubee

cubee Member

If I remember it right I bought it at cd-r king... i think it was 120 pesos for the notebook and 80 pesos for the keyboard only..
    actually it doesn't bother my typing, i got used to it... ;)
    check this site: http://www.cdrking.com/local/produc...18-613867773-1772331&prod=Keyboard Protectors

#17 cubee, Sep 27, 2008
  18. rage30

rage30 Member

For me, its the keyboard silicon cover. I think it attracts dirt much faster so i opt not to use it and instead bought Sher to clean my macbook.

19. sillyserious

sillyserious Member

20. cubee

cubee Member

you're most welcome ;)

#20 cubee, Sep 27, 2008