Macbook 2.0 versus 2.4?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by enuhski, Feb 27, 2009.

?

Factors to consider b/w Macbook 2.0 and 2.4?

Poll closed Mar 4, 2009.
  1. Backlit display

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Price difference

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Memory capacity

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. Speed

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

Apart from a significant difference in price, which is the more practical of the two to buy in terms of features and specs?

Thanks so much! :)

2. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

i guess my deal breaker would be:
    2.0 - no backlit keyboard
    2.4 - WITH backlit keyboard.

makes computing a whole lot more genuinely mac, and futuresque. but that's just me :)

3. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

hmmmm... thanks for your input! apart from the backlit keyboard, there are no other significant differences b/w the two? :)

4. bmarie

bmarie Member

5. zedd

zedd Member

for the price difference, you can buy additional HDD and RAM. I live with IBM laptop with no baklit kb, no problem.

6. doughn

doughn Active Member

i choose 2.4 simply the illuminated KB is sooooooooooooo.... Cool!

plus

higher specs...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 doughn, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  7. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

As for me, I've never really used the backlit keyboard on my MBP. If you find yourself typing in lowlight very often - in planes, at night with a partner you don't want to disturb, sneaking some surfing discretely - then it's really essential.

Personally, I'd also spend a bit more to up the specs via RAM upgrades and swapping to a higher HDD or an SSD even. I'd just use my USB lamp if I needed light for my keyboard. :)

8. jappy

jappy Member

for me

its the backlit keypad.
    would get the 2.4 coz its a laptop, meaning upgrading the processor is quite hard or expensive.
    the 0.4 difference may be really small, but that is still 0.4 difference, well atleast for me.
    the RAM and HDD can always be upgraded.

9. bhoyetjumpay

bhoyetjumpay Well-Known Member

i agreed with you, the backlit keypad is cool:D

10. Prancisfena

Prancisfena Member

i saw a consumer review on the net saying the 2.0 GHz was more practical because when one upgrades the memory and RAM to match the 2.4, mas mura parin compared to the 2.4.

The difference would just be the backlit keyboard and the .4 GHz... :)

11. edricdude

edricdude Active Member

correct, i was choosing between the 2.0 and 2.4 and got the 2.0 instead, laki kc ng difference, 400mhz, a bit more HD space, illuminated keyboard (and yes, I think it is really cool but it's not that useful unless you like using your mac in the dark which I don't do. hehe! angas points lang eto.) pero ang laki ng price difference. i got the 2.0 instead and just planning to buy 2 gig ram to make my ram 3 gig. then I'm just looking for an external HD.

12. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

before i bought my macbook 2.0, i was really planning to buy the 2.4 model
    but i ended up buying the 2.0.
    why?
    because I really dont need the backlit keyboard even though its very nice and very helpful.
    and the 0.4ghz difference wil not be much noticeable. but still its faster.

but if you can afford the 2.4ghz then go for it.

13. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I would suggest the 2.0 but in my heart, I really want a 2.4! well, if money was no object, why not?

Next year IS next year, until this unupgraded MacBook 2.0Ghz turns 3, I don't have any problem with it. But my fan died na this week, anyone knows how much is the price to fix it?

14. Zoey

Zoey Active Member

You can upgrade the ram or hard disk but I dont think you can upgrade the processor of the Macbook :)

15. John H

John H Member

If you use your Macbook with everything with basic officework, surfing, emailing and word processing - you won't feel any difference. Perhaps in more extensive programs like iMovie or Photoshop you might find the 2.4 handy

16. carloslegarda

carloslegarda Member

Better fix your fan soon. Cos if you fry your logic board because of a non-working fan, then it'll probably cost you as much as buying a new one.

17. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks for reminding me! Well, to temporarily solve my dilemma, I faced the back of my laptop to a fan with number 2 speed. :D from 80 degrees, it went down to 59-65 deg... I will bring it in tomorrow, I think it's still costly to fix my MB but it's a necessity... aroung 200-300 Dollars when I searched the net...

What would you recommend, PMC or DH?

I notice that it shuts down by itself if it detects overheating issues, summer pa naman... ugh!

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking this thread...

Well, to be on topic:

I would like to say that it's still easy to video edit on this 2 year-old MacBook! So why not on a new one? iMovie '09 lags a bit but its bearable, so I suggest 2.0Ghz!

#17 rdy0329, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  18. akosiGRAM

akosiGRAM Member

i think it depends on what you really need and the budget hehe

if you are a night person ,, i think you should have a backlit but if you mainly use your laptop on daytime there's no need for backlit KB.... hehe

19. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

thanks guys!

i decided on the 2.4Ghz macbook for a number of reasons, one of which is that i'm upgrading from an ibook G4 which i've used for almost 3 years. i don't think i'm into changing laptops so much so i figured if i'm going to buy a new one, i might as well get one that can survive changes and upgrades that apple will introduce over the next few years. i don't know if i have the time or knowhow to upgrade the 2.0 for the RAM updates which i read about. also, i think the price diff b/w the 2.0 and 2.4 versus the features is reasonable enough, if you factor in the backlit keyboard.

plus, thinking about my boyfriend's experience with his macbook, which he bought last year and runs at 2.4 GHz (the latest upgraded version)- which is the one i actually want cos i want to have a black mac for a change (lol), but since it's not available anymore, i looked at the latest macbooks. my boyfriend's mac is holding up against the newer macbooks, so i figured i want the same for mine when i buy one. i won't be able to run after each updgrade there is, and my ibook has had its run andi badly need a new laptop to work with.

thank you again guys! really appreciate your insights, it really guided me to make my decision! :D

20. extremeshot

extremeshot PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Good choice! I also initially thought that the illuminated keyboard was just a novelty but now, I can't use my Mac at night without it! The keyboard looks bland and harder to read without the backlight IMO.

Max out the RAM and and you'll get near-MBP 2.4 performance from your Macbook 2.4. Bench tests out there will tell you so.

Congratulations and good luck on the purchase of your future baby!