Macbook 13" White 2.0GHz Core Duo (2006) HDD upgrade question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by karlo, Nov 17, 2009.

1. karlo

karlo Member

I'm planning to upgrade my hard drive of a Macbook White Core Duo (2006 model). I just would like to ask if the 500GB would be compatible? Some people told me that the maximum HDD compatible with this model is only 250GB. I'm not sure if this is true.

Anyone here who knows if it can support 500GB HDD? Thanks

2. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Go to DIgitalWalker and they will make it compatible. :)

3. karlo

karlo Member

I would actually prefer to install the hard disk myself since Greenhills is too far for me, I just would like to know if that model only supports up to 250GB. Many thanks.

4. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes. I believe your model already uses SATA hard drives so any 2.5 inch hard drive that is a SATA drive regardless of its memory capacity should work on your Macbook. :)

5. madmax168

madmax168 Active Member

Any SATA 2.5inch HDD as long as they're 9.5mm slim or slimmer should fit and work fine on any Macbook and Macbook Pro. All laptops and even desktops that have SATA interface can and will support any capacity of HDD even in the Terabyte range...

6. karlo

karlo Member

Thanks for all the info. I'll guess I'm getting the 500GB.

7. chubbycortex

chubbycortex New Member

i have a related question? will a faster drive (i.e. 7400 rpm) affect battery life? compared to a 5400 rpm for instance? thanks!

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

There has been mixed feedback from other forums like Macrumors and Notebookreview.com about this. Some say it does not affect battery life at all while there are others who think that there is a minimal decrease. I have a friend who upgraded to a 7200 rpm seagate for his unibody Macbook and noticed that his run time decreased by about 10 to 15 minutes. Also take note that 7200 *might* cause vibrations for smaller notebooks like the 13 inch Macbook Pro.

9. RC

RC Active Member

@chubbycortex
    It all goes towards how often your computer "spins" the Hard Disc if by your computing style your HD Spins often then you should assume that having a higher RPM HD would consume more battery power... also upgrading the memory together with your new HD would benefit more...

But since each persons "computing use" is not the same...your mileage may vary...