Mac transition from Intel to Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by King, Sep 30, 2017.

1. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

I'd upgrade to the ARM Mac model that comes out after Adobe Creative Cloud or other app goes ARM-only.

Rosetta emulation wasn't perfect and was slow.

So 2024 for the ARM iMac and 2028 for the ARM Macbook Pro.

By then I hope sequential read/writes would go from today's ~3GB/s (PCIe 4.0) to say ~15GB/s (PCIe 6.0).

Sana lang 32GB RAM and 2TB SSD are included in the base models.

How about a "Fusion Drive" with a mix of fast flash memory (~3GB/s) and slow flash memory (~1GB/s)?

#41 King, Jun 12, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  2. King

Mod: Pls retitle this thead to "Mac transition from Intel to Apple silicon "

#42 King, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Qin Zhi likes this.
  3. King

A video focusing on Apple silicon

Zoey, amieldh and Qin Zhi like this.
  4. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

I think they're Universal 2 already (unreleased to public) - native on Intel AND Apple Silicon.

jologs likes this.
  5. King

Good for the first adopters then. Willing to wait for Apple silicon-only binaries.

At the WWDC 2020 keynote Tim Cook mentioned that Apple will still release Intel Macs for years to come.

Does that mean refreshed 2021 or 2022 Intel Mac releases?

Or 2019 & 2020 Intel Macs as of today still being produced for by 2021 to 2023?

After WWDC 2005 keynote refreshed PowerPC Macs were released later that year.

Starting 2006 all new releases were all Intel Macs.

I expect the iMac/iMac Pro to get the 1st Apple silicon new release in the later half of 2020.

Followed by Macbook Pro 16", Macbook Air & Macbook Pro 13" sometime in 2021.

Mac mini, and finally the Mac Pro by late 2022 or sometime in 2023.

#45 King, Jun 23, 2020
  6. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

With these great developments and all, I'm glad I held out on getting a new MBP 13/16 unit. Looks like I'll be holding on to my 2017 15incher for a couple of years more I guess.

I'm curious how this will affect prices though. Will these make macs cheaper (and thinner?), or will it push the prices even further. Hmmm.

jologs and amieldh like this.
  7. King

I'd sell your 2017 30 days before the Apple Keyboard Replacement Program expires.

My hope is that Apple will attempt to widen their market share to occupy the top 20% of the global personal computer market. Doing so by a lower MSRP and better operational efficiencies.

My data may be outdated but last I heard they had 1% worldwideshare.

Intel's stock price must have gone down by 10%?

Wonder how Microsoft will react to this? Will they give equal weight to both x86 and ARM?

Do Qualcomm chips have a better performance per watt than Intel/AMD?

#47 King, Jun 23, 2020
    raypin likes this.
  8. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

How would this affect the Steam client and the games that use it. Lots of 32-bit games have gone unpatched and unusable in Catalina already, how much more in the jump to apple silicon?

9. amieldh

amieldh Active Member

Was literally jumping up and down the couch last night when this was finally, finally announced! hahaha! Though very tempting, I would do my best to hold the urge and wait for the 2nd or 3rd Gen Apple Silicon. The future of the Mac is really promising. And all in all, this was the best and strongest Keynote post Steve Jobs... 'Twas a very historic moment for sure...

AVG and ronjet like this.
  10. King

Apple Rosetta 2 through emulation and no developer involvement.

Universal 2 with developers recompiling through Xcode.

Narrower subset of users will buy a PC desktop for gaming a Mac notebook as their preferred primary productivity platform.

Apple moving to their own silicon would mean having the ability to offer a better product than Intel can provide.

11. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

I Agree, Finally the spotlight is the Mac. back to their roots, They've been pretty busy working on it for years I Imagine. Once again Apple is pushing the envelope and Innovating. Intel can't keep up, for years Manufacturers has been tied to Intel's release cycle. Now, Apple has control over all aspects of the device.

So Excited to see Battery Life That will extend for days. Though a little disappointed that no hardware was announced. except for the Mac Mini DTK.

amieldh and ronjet like this.
  12. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

13. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

^and I hope to see a Netflix App with off-line mode for MacBook in the future :whistle:

14. King

[​IMG]

Apple's target is to position Macs at the upper left corner of that graph where the blue blur is located.

Looking forward to mind blowing desktop performance come 2024.

Just hope Apple decides to expand their market share to the top 20% of the personal computer market by ideally lowering or at least keeping their 2020 price points.

raypin and Zoey like this.
  15. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

#55 lamski, Jun 23, 2020
  16. King

Apple deciding to use the 2020 iPad Pro SoC rather than the 2019 iPhone 11 Pro Max SoC is a good decision.

* Logic board is about as large as Mac mini
    * iPad Pro SoC probably be higher clocked because of wall outlet power & active cooling
    * Force developers to design & code for a "low end" baseline.

The iMac and Macbook Pro with Apple silicon would probably use a future A14-derived SoC from the 2020 iPhone 12.

16GB of RAM will be the standard for all Macs with Apple silicon.

This Mac Apple silicon will be faster than the iPhone 12 SoC.

Here's a good article from Anandtech on Apple silicon.

#56 King, Jun 23, 2020
    Salaryman Ryan, Zoey and ronjet like this.
  17. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

I think the transition plan is to get the Apple Silicon Macs on Macbook/MacBook Air/iMac/Mac Mini on first year for consumers and to allow pro and corporate media companies to buy and play with it first. The pro Macs on the second year to complete the transition. Expect Intel Macs until early 2022.

18. neilrg

neilrg PhilMUG Addict Member

I remember Tim said they will "support" Intel Macs, not release. Although he did mention that there are still Intel Macs in the pipeline. I guess by the time the 2-year transition ends, they will only release Mac models with Apple Silicon from then on.

19. King

I remember after WWDC 2005 they still released PowerPC Macs. I bought one knowing that it'll take 3 years for Universal binaries to become available.

Starting January 2006 all Macs were Intel Inside with most apps running on Rosetta emulation.

Rene Richie has a very good analysi on what will probably happen within the next 2 years.

I expect the Mac Pro, the last models to switch to Apple silicon, by August-December 2021.

That wouldnt be that painful to 2019 Mac Pro owners if their towers were released in 2017.

#59 King, Jun 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    Salaryman Ryan and lamski like this.
  20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...Apple taking charge of its hardware with its own hardware components. Always a positive development.

Salaryman Ryan likes this.