Mac Solid State Drive (SSD) Upgrade Database

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booblanco, Sep 6, 2012.

1. cyrianagujo

cyrianagujo Member

anybody here who tried to upgrade the stock ssd of the 2012 mba? any idea how much it would cost? read somewhere that the memory modules of the new mba are a little different from the previous iterations..

2. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

OT: we should try drawing a profile on SSD upgraders. the forum join dates are telling. ;)

3. paolosantos

paolosantos Member

One World Computing (OWC) has this. I just selected a 13in MBA when i was searching

Apple MacBook Air 2.0GHz (13.3" Intel Core i7) - June 2012

there are a lot of videos on how to do it. it's easier than MBP actually since you only need to take out 1 screw inside.
    it's like putting on RAM lang. :)

4. chizbol

chizbol Member

I think you meant Other World Computing (OWC)

5. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

it's more than enough... 120GB would suffice in fact, but you might need an external drive for your files like hi-res photos, videos, movies, etc...

people choose to go with 256GB SSDs because of its significant advantage in speed over its 120GB (or lower) variant. However, you'll only see/feel the difference in benchmarks... I doubt that you'd feel this in day to day real world usage specially if you're just an average computer user.

on choosing brands:

* for 256GB variant:

1) Plextor M5-Pro
    2) Samsung 830
    3) OCZ Vertex 4 / OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS

* for 128GB variant

1) Plextor M5-Pro
    2) OCZ Vertex 4 / OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS
    3) Samsung 830

*** OWC might be "synonymous" to "Apple" - BUT they're NOT the best on after market upgrades - NOT THESE DAYS!

*** Corsair GTX might be doing good in benchies in terms of speed... But its "reliability" still has to be proven. Perhaps updates on firmware might be able to get the job done.

*** Crucial M4 is indeed reliable. But its speed seems to look mediocre (or should I say below of what's expected) nowadays - specially its write speed (crippled) --- Crucial M4 was yesterday's news.

6. paolosantos

paolosantos Member

oh yeah! haha! i was actually in a meeting when i was typing it so i dont know where "One" came from. haha! thanks for the correction ;)

7. rflores

rflores Well-Known Member

This shall be my next project. For now, let me enjoy the relatively cheep ram upgrade..

8. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Anyone using a OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro? These are the top two performing consumer SSDs today.

9. booblanco

booblanco Active Member

UPDATE:

MAC: 17" 2.0GHz iMac C2D (late 2006)
    SSD: 160GB Intel 320 Series (SATA II)
    INSTALLED: 31 August 2012
    DIED: 30 November 2012
    COMMENTS: spinning wheel -> hard reboot -> flashing folder with "?"

warranty under application with vendor

10. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

Where did you guy buy your 2nd HDD caddy or optibay? Also anyone know a local source for the 500GB Samsung 840? A pal wants to take the plunge.

11. arlo0611

arlo0611 Member

hi guys,

i've decided to take the plunge and do an SSD upgrade for my late 2008 15" macbook pro. I'd like to ask you advise on what's the best value for money brand and model suited for my macbook model based on your experience. Does SATA matter?

From the little search i've done there's corsair force series, crucial has sata 2 and sata 3, gskill jas phoenix pro sata 2 and phoenix 3 sata 3, transcent has ultimate, sandisk has extreme and ultra, and ozc has agility 4, vertex3, vertex 4 and vertex plus. too many options and i know know ziltch.

i'm planning to get the 256gb capacity and a lead to a good dealer would be appreciated. BTW can install it myself or better that i hire a professional?

thx

12. johnnydu

johnnydu Member

Arlo,

You can go the SATA III route which will give you the best value per GB for your money, but since your MBP most likely has a SATA II controller, you wont be able to maximize your SSD's speeds. SATA II SSDs will better match up with your controller but there are very little options available here for higher capacities, and the prices might be a little more expensive per GB compared to SATA III drives.

I've been using my 115GB G.Skill Phoenix Evo SATA II with my mid-2010 13" MBP since Aug 2012 and I've been more than happy with the performance and reliability - it's like a whole new laptop performance wise.

I got my SSD from Ayos Computer in Eton Cyberpod for P4500 and put it in myself. Since your MBP is 2008, you may not need a professional to take the SSD apart. Just a little Google instructions will do the trick.

Hope this helps in your decision making - good luck and enjoy your 'new' laptop :)

#112 johnnydu, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  13. johnnydu

johnnydu Member

MAC: Mid-2010 13" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz C2D
    SSD: G. Skill Phoenix Evo SATA II 115GB
    INSTALLED: Aug. 2012
    COMMENTS: Laptop used mainly for software development and image manipulation, as well as some movie editing and sound editing. Blazing fast performance - boot up time of < 10s, Photoshop launch, opens and saves are blazingly quick. File imports/exports onto the SSD are a breeze. Database queries are fast too, but for compiling/building code in Java/Eclipse, the SSD will not give any perceivable performance gain due to CPU intensive nature rather than I/O. Launch of the IDEs are fast though and will lessen the time to load all the code and configurations from the disk.

14. mackymd

mackymd Well-Known Member

Recently updated mine, 240 gig SSD in the bootup drive and shifted my harddrive to the optical bay.

MBP 13 mid 2012, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
    SSD: SanDisk SDSSDX240GG25:Capacity: 240.06 GB (240,057,409,536 bytes)
    Model: SanDisk SDSSDX240GG25

Comments: Boot up time is now quite fast compared before and the program seems to load faster. Have not encountered any problems yet but it has been just one week.

15. prof_er

prof_er Well-Known Member

OT: do you know a seller where i can buy brand new or 2nd hand SSD for my macbook late 2011? Please pm me. Im thinking of buying the 256gig variant. And someone who could help me install it. Please help....

16. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

DIY:
    you can buy your SSD from PC express (chain store)
    buy a 2.5 inch HB USB external enclosure
    clone your hard disk using CCC or carbon copy cloner
    follow a guide from ifixit.com on how to replace your MBPs hard drive

If you need special screw driver, one is available from CDR King

Alternative you may PM Charlie and ask for a quote on the SSD and the service
    third alternative is to Google YNZAL, call them ask for Nomer, ask for a quote, set an appointment for the service
    I prefer you have it done in one of Charlie's shops
    I only suggested Ynzal as they can do a quick cloning and replacement job if you can set an appointment

17. ryanfelipe

ryanfelipe Member

What do you think of those SSDs from Sandisk? Are they not that good?

18. chizbol

chizbol Member

Thats what i have in mine. And it's been chugging along pretty nifty. Close to 8months (i think)

19. darrelvalencia

Fellow philmuggers please enlighten me. i have a 2012 Entry level MBP and i want to upgrade my Hard Drive.

Torn between a normal HDD and an SSD. my MBP has a dripping water sound. (i drop it knee level height bottom facing the floor). my research came up with HDD problem.

what is a lifespan of an SSD compared to normal HDD? i read that SSD needs some work like tweaking or trimming , updating firmware ,since its expensive i want my SSD to last at least 2years since my MBP is new and will plan to buy APP.

i use my MBP for surfing. itunes , iphoto office work and a little bit of gaming. i also have external harddrive if incase i decide to go SSD.

im only concern about the lifespan of SSD so im thinking of having at least a 72000rpm (correct me if im wrong) HDD. i know ssd are blazing fast and i would like to have one. im just concern about the SSD work like trimming etc.

what SSD brand and model should i use.i prefer 256Gig and if i can ill go 512GB how much should it cost. do i need maintenance while using SSD?

my plan

Option 1: Buy 256gb SSD to replace my Hard Drive (soon to be dying because of the water dripping sound)

Option 2: 256GB SSD or lower (Bootup / OSX) then buy 750GB or 1TB HDD to replace my CD Drive

Option 3: is to have a 7200rpm At least 1GB and upgrade to SSD after a year or two then put my HDD to the cd drive. since SSD that time will not be as expensive as today.

also give me HDD brand and model that is good for my MBP.

thanks in advance. again sorry for being a newbie.

#119 darrelvalencia, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  20. darrelvalencia

^ will buy crucial m4 today. will update the firmware before installing osx.

what are the things i need to do after i installed my SSD. like triming? what trimming program do you recommend?

thanks