Mac Solid State Drive (SSD) Upgrade Database

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booblanco, Sep 6, 2012.

1. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

thanks, do you think I can do it myself? which type of SSD should I get? btw for the max out ram what do we meant by unofficially? actually my iMac has 4x2mb =8mb ram, do we mean officially it can accept 4x4mb ram (officially) and can also accept 4x8mb ram (unofficially) without any problem?

2. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

For that, it's best that you check the corresponding replacement guide for the 2010 21.5" iMac at iFixit (see here). Going through those guides can help you decide whether you're comfortable doing it yourself. Personally, while I'd perfectly fine disassembling a MacBook or a Mac mini, I don't have the confidence disassembling an iMac, which I consider rather complicated, given that I have to pry-open the LCD screen and all. If it were me, I'd rather have a service center do that.

I've personally tried Crucial, specifically, a 275GB Crucial MX300 SSD, which I bought here in China for CNY599 (about ₱4,950). I'm totally satisfied.

No need to buy a very expensive/high-speed one as your 2010 iMac only supports up to SATA II (capable of only 300MB/sec). The ones available nowadays are SATA III drives, which are usually downward compatible and will generally work on your 2010 iMac (albeit at SATA II speed).

Pick a capacity that best suits your needs. Note as well that, owing to its nature, SSDs perform better when you have ample free space. So avoid filling it up. If the actual amount of data that you need to store is just around 100GB, don't just buy 128GB, instead buy a 256GB SSD. If you data is around 200GB, buy a 512GB SSD.

2010 iMacs (including the 21.5" model) unofficially support up to 32GB of RAM (4x8GB) without any problem, notwithstanding that Apple states that the max. is 16GB. The same goes for the 2010 MacBook Pros, which unofficially support up to 16GB of RAM, even though Apple states that the max. is 8GB. While I haven't done it myself, it seems that the thread stater of this MacRumors thread installed 32GB on a 2010 21.5" iMac and has had no problem. Having said that, in my opinion, 16GB (4x4GB) will more than suffice for ordinary use.

#602 Qin Zhi, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  3. rexfuge

rexfuge Member

does
    Where did you have your MBP upgraded? DIY? I may also need to replace my battery.

TIA.

4. vtf

vtf Active Member

i recently had my late 2011 mbp upgraded to a 480gig ssd with 16gig ram. The old and distorted internal speakers were replaced while the original HD became an internal time machine mounted on a now disabled dvd/cd enclosure. the entire procedure was completed in less than 2 hours. cost: ₱23,500 at A.B. Blanc. It now seems so much snappier than my boss’ 2016 mbp

eag likes this.
  5. makinao

makinao Active Member

RAM and SSD were DIY.

I had a battery replaced under warranty at MSI Digicare. My daughter had a battery replaced past warranty with an original Apple at Ynzal.

Analog_KiD and rexfuge like this.
  6. makinao

makinao Active Member

Just got this at the PCHub Hemady Christmas sale. PhP 16,560.00, just US$17 more than in Amazon. Added a Orico USB 3.0 enclosure for PhP 395.00. Cloning with CCC and physical installation in my 2012 MBP 15" took about 3 hours.

This digital pack rat will have a VERY Merry Christmas :)

[​IMG]

#606 makinao, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Analog_KiD and Sunil_K like this.