Mac Solid State Drive (SSD) Upgrade Database

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booblanco, Sep 6, 2012.

1. makinao

makinao Active Member

rexfuge likes this.
  2. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

3. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Bumping this thread. Any feedback with the Crucial MX300 SSDs?

4. makinao

makinao Active Member

I have a 1tb. Bought it in December 2016. It just works.

tiffitotz likes this.
  5. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

It works great! I recently replaced my 2009 MBP's 5+ yr. old 500GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD with a Crucial 275GB MX300 SSD and it did give my nearly 8-yr. old Mac a new lease in life. I bought it here in China for ¥599 (about Php 4,500). I only bought 275GB, as it's more than what I need given that said MBP serves only as a backup laptop. Get a larger one if you're installing it on your main computer.

tiffitotz likes this.
  6. Analog_KiD

Analog_KiD New Member

I have MX300 750GB installed in my Mid2012 MBP.. My MX300 are experiencing heavy read and writes since I use my laptop as my main machine for recording and music production plus video editing for youtube videos.. So far so good...

tiffitotz likes this.
  7. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Thanks everyone! I'm going for the Crucial SSD then. It's currently discounted over at Amazon and including shipping, it's still cheaper than the prices here. I'll just wait if the price goes even lower by Cyber Monday. :)

Analog_KiD likes this.
  8. morphine

morphine Active Member

had my macbook air mid 2014 model fitted with a 1tb ssd, it is wicked but cost me a fortune though

Sunil_K likes this.
  9. hokage6

hokage6 Active Member

any SSD recommendation for macbook air 2015 that's available locally?

10. DON2003

DON2003 Well-Known Member

my ols iMac mid 2010 is not crawling specially booting up with all apps loading in the morning, I have to allot half an hour for it before I can use it as normal,
    is it hard to upgrade it to SSD? can I DIY? will it helps or I should consider replacing it already?

thanks for any comments in advance

11. snipes

snipes Active Member

kyubi and Sunil_K like this.
  12. ronjeremy

ronjeremy Member

Can you guys recommend a shop that can upgrade my early 2011 mbp hdd to ssd(shop with best parts)?im leaning towards a 500gb or 1tb if budget permits.Thanks

13. makinao

makinao Active Member

If you're in QC, get an SSD from louie (he delivers), then bring it to Ynzal for migration and installment.

theredmac likes this.
  14. ronjeremy

ronjeremy Member

L
    Louie?whats his username sir?:)

15. ronjeremy

ronjeremy Member

Okay na pala sir.I saw it na.

16. vtf

vtf Active Member

or you can go to AB blanc laptop along main avenue. superb service from parts, parts installation to migration

#596 vtf, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  17. DON2003

I have an iMac 21.5 2010 and an mac mini 2011, I think they both have only usb 2.0 ports,
    was planning to get them an SSD to speed up, but seeing all the disassembles and seems I am not capable of doing it,

now I am thinking what if I install an SSD in an external case and boot from there? looks like its easy, but will the USB 2.0 port ok to boot OSX from there?

anyone tried? pls give some feedbacks or pls comment on this, thanks

18. Qin Zhi

While I haven't tried it myself, nevertheless, I'm pretty much sure that running OS X off an external SSD is slow--and therefore not worth it--given that it's connected to your Mac only via a USB 2.0 port which can support only a theoretical maximum bandwidth of 60 MB/sec.

Since you'll be shelling-out a substantial amount of money on an SSD, if you're not confident in installing it yourself, I suggest you consider having a competent service center, such as Ynzal, install it for you. By doing so, you can expect that your SSD will run tremendously faster on either of your Macs, specifically:
    • On your 2010 iMac, which supports only SATA II: up to 300 MB/sec (up to 5x faster than USB 2.0); and
    • On your 2011 Mac mini, which supports SATA III: up to 600 MB/sec (up to 10x faster than USB 2.0).

#598 Qin Zhi, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  19. DON2003

yes, best to have professional do it, but I think its just not worth it to spend too much money on them, as they are old na, the imac is still my daily driver just want to give a gasp of fresh air before it die on me, and the mac mini is actually in the box, considering using it to backup in case the imac die anytime, but now have a taste of ssd booting with my kids pc, suddenly I feel old with my iMac, you know...nakakahiya, hehe!
    but really don’t want to go to the dark side

20. Qin Zhi

Assuming that your 2010 iMac and 2011 Mac mini are still in good condition, a combination of an SSD upgrade and a RAM upgrade can really give them a new lease on life. You'd be surprised how snappy they'll run after the upgrade. Your 2010 iMac officially supports up to 16GB of RAM (unofficially, 32GB), while your 2011 Mac mini officially supports up to 8GB of RAM (unofficially, 16GB). Upgrading RAM isn't really expensive; it's SSD that can be a bit expensive.

While I don't have an iMac/Mac mini, I do have an experience upgrading the SSD of of an old Mac--my 2009 13" MacBook Pro. Early last year, I bought a 2016 13" MacBook Pro and decided to keep my fully-functional 2009 MacBook Pro as a backup unit (which my daughter uses everyday to watch cartoons). While I had maxed-out its RAM to 8GB way back in 2011, it was only last year, Nov. 2017--when it was 7 yrs. and 10 mos. old--that I decided to upgrade its hard disk (a 512GB Seagate Momentus XT SSHD) to a 275GB Crucial MX300 SSD, which set me back CNY599 (about ₱4,950). Totally worth it. It's snappy again, and by all indications, it seems that I can get another 2-3 years (or possibly more) out of it, given that it's not used as often, and provided that it's well maintained.

Thus, assuming that your iMac and Mac mini are still in good condition, if I were in your shoes, notwithstanding their age, I'd still:
    • max-out their RAM (2010 iMac = 16GB; 2011 Mac mini = 8GB); and
    • replace their hard drive with a suitably-sized SSD.
    And just to be clear, I'd do that even if I plan to buy a new Mac and simply use the old ones as backup units. That's just my take--as I just happen to like Macs. ;)