Mac Solid State Drive (SSD) Upgrade Database

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by booblanco, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Leviticusrockzph

Leviticusrockzph New Member

How much is that bro?

2. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Active Member

4900php if cash payment. Around 5400php if you will use CC payment. Bought it in PCexpress.

3. morphine

morphine Active Member

i got my macbook air upgraded to 1 TB SSD and it's awesome. I don't have to lug around an extra hard drive

4. rducky__1417

rducky__1417 New Member

Hi, after further research, I might purchase a samsung 850 evo 1tb with an mSATA adapter (but i have to buy it online via lazada or amazon) for my MBP-RD 15 (mid 2012)(whew!). Can you guys provide me a link or suggest any decent usb 3.0 case for my old ssd? btw...should I still partition my new SSD? thanks!

5. cl_upspeed

cl_upspeed Member

hello, was wondering if anyone can help further, went through the process of upgrading both the hd and ram via tips from this thread. restored from one of the backups, but the thing is, office is now asking for the product key, which i've no idea where i placed, had this since 2011. any tips?

also placed the old hd on an external enclosure, but for some reason it doesnt show up the mac or win laptop, is there anything else that i needed to do?

p.s. ordered 8gb worth of ram and 525gb ssd, both ordered from ayoscomputer.

6. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i'm getting an OWC 1TB upgrade for my 2015 MBA. the MBA is still going strong and is maxed out (500GB, 8GB, i7) so it's still worth keeping for a couple more years as my workhorse, but i'm filling up my SSD quickly and doubling my SSD capacity is the only thing i can do for it (even buying a new machine won't get me that 1TB). when this happens, i'll sell off my 500GB SSD to lessen my cost.

Sunil_K likes this.
  7. rallyweapon

rallyweapon New Member

hi all. where did you have your MBA upgraded? I too have a MBA maxed at 512GB SSD and never thought it can be further upgraded. Which 1TB SSD is right for it? Its a MBA 13 mid-2012 which still runs great. Only problem is the storage space. Since my iphone and ipad pro is backed up on the MBA, its taking up space. Any help is appreciated.

8. penmanila

Staff Member

I've successfully upgraded my 2015 MBA with a 1TB OWC Aura SSD, which I ordered direct from OWC (not cheap). You can find all the OWC MBA/MBPro upgrades here:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Air-Retina

Take note, if you need to do an upgrade (like rallyweapon above), that you must get the exact one for your model, or it won't work.

I did the upgrade myself last night, using the two pentalobe and Torx screwdrivers supplied with the package. (I've done this before with a 480GB OWC Aura on my previous MBA, so I wasn't too worried about the hardware part. There's an online video to guide you through the 15-minute process.)

It was the software part that was tricky, because I had to swap out the old 500GB Samsung SSD that Apple uses and put it in the supplied ENvoy enclosure, install the new unformatted SSD, then boot from the external drive. (Ordinarily I'd clone the old drive first into the new one, but the Envoy drive will take the Samsung but NOT the Aura--the instructions are very clear on this; the Envoy is good only for the original, Apple-supplied SSD. Also, SuperDuper hasn't been updated yet for High Sierra, so I had to work with Disk Utility.)

So I booted off the external drive and then tried cloning from old to new via Disk Utility, but found I had to format the new drive first (I'm on High Sierra beta, so this introduced extra complications). So I formatted the new SSD to APFS. I thought that would do it, but no--now I couldn't use the "Restore" function that would have cloned the drive--the option was grayed out.

After a lot of hairpulling, I rebooted in recovery mode (command-R), which turned out to to be the key. I then chose the "reinstall OS" option, which put a clean new OS (still High Sierra) onto the new SSD. I followed this with Migration Assistant (for which I learned, after a failed try, you have to launch Migration Assistant from the external drive). Many hours later, my new drive was working.

One last complication: my iTunes had been updated, but the clean install carried the old version. My iTunes files had already been modified to run onl on the later iTunes, and frustratingly, there was no update showing in App Store. My workaround was to copy the newer iTunes from the external drive, rename it iTunes2 (Finder won't allow you to move or modify the existing app, even if you change permissions), and that's the one I'm using to run iTunes until, hopefully, we move soon from the beta to the regular High Sierra. (Update: I booted off the external drive, removed the iTunes on the new drive, and replaced it with the higher version from the old drive.)

Whew--that's a lot of complications (I was up all night) but I must say the new drive is very fast and snappy!

I paid $660 for it, which is halfway toward a new computer, but this will serve me for a couple more years and my MBA is maxed out in all other respects. And I hope to recoup some of that by selling the previous 500GB drive to whoever might need one (this will be good for MBAs 2013 and up only) when I get back from the US at the end of the month.

9. rallyweapon

rallyweapon New Member

Super thanks penmanila for the detailed how-to.

10. mac_user07

mac_user07 Member

Hi all!

For those who have Crucial MX300, how were you able to initialize the SSD?

I've been having some problems and kept getting this error: "Wiping volume data to prevent future accidental probing failed."

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. Currently running on El Capitan if that helps

Attached Files:

11. penmanila

Staff Member

I just want to say how happy I am with the 1TB Aura upgrade that I got from OWC and installed myself last month. It’s blazingly fast, very quiet, and I hardly ever hear my fan turn on. Again not cheap but highly recommended. I now have 500gb more of space to use ;)

12. dingjana

dingjana Member

Is it possible to upgrade the SSD of the 2016 model MBP? I made the mistake of only getting the 256GB version for my daughter and she struggles with space now.

13. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

^That should be more than enough actually. - for apps, docs, some music and videos. I'm guessing she has a lot of movies in it - that's what's eating up most of her space. - Get her an external drive - this is where movies should go.

14. dingjana

dingjana Member

That's what I thought too but she is taking AP courses in school which requires a lot of other softwares I did not anticipate to be installed. School is starting back up in September and I don't want her macbook to be slow because of this. No movies in her laptop as she does have an external drive and she doesn't save music either because of Spotify.

15. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

16. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Are there any compatibility issues/requirements or can any SSD be used with a Mac? I'm planning to upgrade my 2010 white MacBook and I haven't a clue which one I should get. Would Samsung Evo SSD work? And any recommended shops that sell them? So far I'm leaning towards a shop in Gilmore because it's way cheaper than what my go-to tech is quoting me for a 500 GB Toshiba SSD.

17. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Hi Bro.

Had a macbook pro 13 2010 before. any 2.5inch SSD is fine. it uses Sata 2 (Please correct me if i'm wrong) Hence you won't maximize the extra speed of high end SSD.

What i did before was purchase a used 180GB Intel SSD. can't recall how much but it was roughly 2k - 2.1k

18. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Thanks for the info. I'm aiming for 500 GB if budget permits. Where did you get your SSD?

PS: I'm not a bro. :)

19. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Oops sorry. got it from tipidpc.

Are you using your mbp 2010 as a daily driver? i was thinking if your buying 500GB SSD which cost roughly 7k-10k. you might want to do a upgrade? sell the old one then get a new or Used (pristine) condition unit maybe 2012 MBP?

20. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

It's not a Pro actually. It's the last white MB so I'm holding on to it. It's still my primary computer and getting a new one is beyond my budget right now.