Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-To-Date

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by yoh_hectic, Jun 9, 2009.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Pricing & Availability
    Mac OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard will be available as an upgrade to Mac OS X version 10.5 Leopard in September 2009 through the Apple Store® (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The Snow Leopard single user license will be available for a suggested retail price of $29 (US) and the Snow Leopard Family Pack, a single household, five-user license, will be available for a suggested price of $49 (US). For Tiger® users with an Intel-based Mac, the Mac Box Set includes Mac OS X Snow Leopard, iLife® ’09 and iWork® ’09 and will be available for a suggested price of $169 (US) and a Family Pack is available for a suggested price of $229 (US).

The Mac OS X Snow Leopard Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller between June 8, 2009 and the end of the program on December 26, 2009, for a product plus shipping and handling fee of $9.95 (US). Users must request their Up-To-Date upgrade within 90 days of purchase or by December 26, 2009, whichever comes first. For more information please visit www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate. Snow Leopard requires a minimum of 1GB of RAM and is designed to run on any Mac computer with an Intel processor. Full system requirements can be found at www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs.

This is rather annoying if you bought any Mac within the last week.

2. IronMan

IronMan Member

Bought my MBP last May 31st. :((

If this is an upgrade, does that mean that i can't do a clean install of SL? :((

3. yoh_hectic

If you want to do a clean install you'll need to put out $169 but I'm guessing Apple will give you the option to do it cleanly.

4. Epzilog

Epzilog Member

So if you are using OSX Leopard how will this work? go to reseller and buy the $29.00? what's included?

I'm sorry I'm confused... is this with iLife 09 and iWork 09? They're like giving it away for free if that's the case

5. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

No worries, you cannot fool the DVD, so when you insert a SL DVD into a computer with Tiger, it will refuse to install. Resellers will just keep selling and selling!

6. Bulakbol

Bulakbol Active Member

Yep, I bought my iMac on June 5, 2009.

7. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

just 20$ more than an up to date cd costs...

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

I'm very pleased with their pricing! Good move Apple!

9. mig

mig Active Member

Any details on the $29 upgrade for Leopard users?

10. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

Is the $29 upgrade a single license? How much for a family pack upgrade?

11. wakomasei

wakomasei Member

@ rafaelc378

Yes. To quote:

BTW, will the upgrade also include iLife 09 just like the Mac Box Set for Tiger users?

12. yoh_hectic

For $29 or $49? :p It goes without saying that it's extremely unlikely.

13. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

I wish to Upgrade my Leopard to Snow Leopard.

Thus this cost, 29 US$,

The question is.. does apple will snail mail me an dvd of Snow Leopard when i purchase an upgrade or i had to download it?

im very very confused @[email protected]

14. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

Multi-Touch gestures in older Mac models.
    All Mac notebooks with Multi-Touch trackpads now support three- and four-finger gestures.

Been reading through the Snow Leopard feature pages... Thats some good news right there :)

15. cmclim

cmclim Active Member

i to am confused..if you bought a mac with leopard OS you are entitled to the upgrade price of $29..it was said that you can purchase it online or trough an Apple Authorized Reseller.. so do you just go to lets say digital walker and bring your laptop and they will sell you the upgrade DVD? i guess we should just ask sir Charlie..

16. ricpac

ricpac Active Member

Kewl! Thanks for sharing this bit of info--no more kext hack for us then!

17. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

I think same thing will follow when they introduced Leopard. Mac owners who recently purchased their mac with tiger installed will have the upgrade DVD of leopard for a minimal cost, but only option is to upgrade and not to make a clean install.

Pls correct me guys if I am wrong.

18. bedanmick

bedanmick Member

What exact model supports this? Macbook white/black early 2008 supported? I've always wanted to have thethree- and four-finger gestures. only the 2-finger gesture is the thing that I can do with my Macbook White.

19. csc2ky

csc2ky Member

^^ Unluckily they do not hand out more details about which models actually can make use of this. I sincerely hope that as stated "ALL" Mac notebooks with at least the ability for 2 finger scrolling will support this. Might be only the models that support the three finger swipe already. Therefore MBP and MacBook Air Early '08 models. Hopefully there will be some clarification soon. Anyways. US$29 for Snow Leopard is a no brainer. Really looking forward to it. The price for the update was the best news of all for me.

20. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

I'm with you there, csc2ky. I hope SL will remain in that range when it arrives here :)