Mac-ish External Keyboard

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by Shinrai, May 25, 2009.

1. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

From a lead at yugatech, I visited Octagon to check out a very familiar keyboard

[​IMG]

Tested it and it's just a teeny tad harder to press than the original. The keys are matte and the case is very plastic and black as you can see. There's an 850 PHP version with a print on the spacebar and 900 PHP for the cleaner version.

No extra USB ports and it might be a good alternative to those who want a cheaper version of the Apple KB, just test it out at Octagon. You can swap the keys btw if you want the format like a Mac (swap the Win key with the Alt and Context Menu keys)

2. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

higher quality pic for the win? beautiful find. I like cheap ass alternatives!!!

3. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Sorry it's just a phonecam pic. If you like it, visit Octagon to have a first-hand feel. I find that you need to test it yourself to check if it's for you.

The format is just like the Apple KB except the F13-F18 keys are replaced by basic kb keys, volume and power keys. Even the elevation is the same for the most part.

4. rycua

rycua Member

nice find...
    though i'm still looking for a sleek n' slim usb number pad for mac...
    (that's available locally :p)

#4 rycua, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  5. shaven

shaven Active Member

nice find, gonna check one tom ;)

6. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Interesting (and cheap) find. No pun intended. :cool:

Does it come in white? I have a 2008 whitebook and it would be nice if the KB will complement the color of my MB.

7. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Only comes in black though. Free keyboard protector btw.

8. ditoy_eagle

ditoy_eagle Well-Known Member

I purchased one in CDR King P350 lang ata, when my son's keyboard was in the service center. worked with the mac mini too. hehe

9. sparklemind

sparklemind New Member

what's a good keyboard and mouse for the mac mini these days ? cheaper option than the apple ( 1k budget for both ) but should be good enough for office/daily use. thanks!

10. jay25

jay25 Member

Yep I also saw a mac keyboard look a like in CDR king..
    The keyboard I saw in CDR king is color white.

11. sparklemind

sparklemind New Member

do they have the "function" and "command" key similar to an Apple keyboard ?

12. suigeneris

suigeneris Well-Known Member

sparklemind:

Nope. It's a windows keyboard tweaked to look like Mac's Aluminum kb. I got one yesterday lang. Haven't tried it on my mac though. I use it sa Windows computer sa office. I think you can use it sa mac and just change the button configuration.

13. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

You can use that on a Mac. The Alt key is Command. Windows key is Option. You can use Spark to assign keys for sound volume and Eject key among other things.

14. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

15. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

I got the black Mac-ish keyboard from Think PC, Cyberzone, SM North Edsa Annex Bldg. P550. It feels ok. I do have a broken Pause/Break key which I use for brightening the screen. It works but it does not have the snap of a fixed key. I figured I'd spend more on parking, gas, and food going back to the Annex so I didn't bother exchanging it.

16. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Chanced upon this slim keyboard at Data Blitz, Podium. Elephant brand. Very good finish. Keys are good quality. Not the cheap whites we see all over. The silver plated plastic base is very good too. This keyboard is better looking than the CD-R King that came out a long time ago. It complements my MacBook Air 11".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#16 Mad Mac, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011