Mac browser mega-test. Time to ditch Safari?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by trigo, Nov 17, 2008.

1. trigo

trigo Well-Known Member

here's an interesting article on pitting safari with diff browser for mac...

http://www.techradar.com/news/inter...time-to-ditch-safari--479647?src=rss&attr=all

Most Mac users tend to use the browser that came installed on their computer (Apple's Safari) just because it's there and it's made by Apple. But as a discerning Mac user, Safari isn't your only choice.
    With this Group Test we're going to check out the alternatives, to see whether it's worth switching to something new.
    Browsers used to be compared on the basis of compatibility, but these days the vast majority of sites work fine across all browsers. Speed, despite the claims of each browser manufacturer, also isn't a major consideration regarding which to use.
    During testing, you'll typically find a new browser works faster than an old one, since it's not 'weighed down' with junk. In practice, you'll find few noticeable speed differences between browsers running on a clean Mac OS X install.
    Today, features rule the roost, and this is our main consideration in this Group Test. How easy do these browsers make it to find information and to browse the web? How extensible are they? And can they block out annoyances?.........

2. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

Mine blocks annoyances.. :)
    Safari works for me. It's simple and has everything I need. But obviously, this preference is subjective.

3. viral_variance

I agree. Its all about preference. I like the RSS reader of Firefox, but Safari’s interface is very clean. Though I recently notice that it crashes a lot…. Mmm…

4. chetiboy

chetiboy Active Member

i tried firefox but ditched it. i'm sticking to safari.
    for some weird reason, firefox uses black and white old icons that i do not want to see.

i like safari's minimalistic approach. and i don't entirely feel bogged down when usingsafari. i love the scientific approach of the article!

hmm, i guess to each his own.

5. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

Try the pre-beta release of Firefox 3.1. The JavaScript engine is waaay faster than Safari and Firefox. I'm beta testing it.

For regular surfing, I use Firefox 3.0.4. Adblock Plus and NoScript (extensions) make it a breeze to surf the net. I don't know how you guys can stand to see all those ads and embedded flash.

Safari is minimalist, yes, but I see ads. That's really my problem.

6. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

I use Safari and Camino :)

7. paolo.

paolo. Member

Firefox 3, Safari, IE

which ever dont crash...

But Mostly My Browser is FF3 second in the line is Safari and my LAST RESORT would be the IE (if all else fail Opera would be the other last resort)

8. alikishi

alikishi Well-Known Member

i hope apple includes the command+number as shortcut for the different tabs in safari

9. CREEP2NITE

CREEP2NITE New Member

Hmmmm.... I Also Noticed Safari Crashing Several Times A Day.... Sent Several Reports To Apple Already? Could There Be A Bug Doing This? Ran Clamxav And Protect Mac Several Times Already And No Virus Has Been Found.

10. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

+1 on this. I use Safari when I'm on Sun Broadband Wireless and I got used to Firefox shortcuts, so when I use cmd+number, a bookmark opens. :|

11. ijingo

ijingo Active Member

Well the test was done last year. Safari is already in the new version. I like Chrome as well. right now, Safari is my default.

12. miches

miches Member

same here, i like safari over firefox for the following reasons:

1. UI simplicity
    2. as of this writing, Nitro JS engine is fast compared to Firefox, and i use heavy web2.0 apps all the time.
    3. i'm pretty lazy when typing domain names (i just put in "cnn" and it goes to cnn.com). well, i always am clearing my browser cache regularly, keeping things lean.

firefox wins for me when:

1. developing web apps (firebug is still superior over web inspector for me)

that's about it!! :)

13. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

For a keyboard shortcut to move between tabs in Safari, use Shift-Cmd-Arrow Left/Right.

Me, I use Safari more or less exclusively. There are sites I use that don't support it, so I have an FF3 installer in a storage folder for times I may need it. I'll try out Chrome once Agile Web Solutions puts out a 1Password version that supports it.

14. paulbisente

paulbisente Member

Chrome is my new favorite. I ditched both Safari and Firefox. Chrome for me is a hybrid that combines the best of the two browsers.

15. caropan

caropan Member

I'm a Firefox user, but I still miss Opera from back in my Windows days.

16. thurbs

thurbs Member

so hard to pick a good browser ...

i love the Fox b/c I love some of my extensions, like table2clipboard and quickproxy.

chrome is nice, I see it becoming the contender for my browser.

safari + glim is nice, especially after editing shortcuts

camino is cool, but I don't see myself switching

opera on mac is ok ... but no advantages