Looking For: Shop who will replace HD of late 2009 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lamski, Apr 26, 2018.

1. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

Fellow muggers,

Can you guys recommend a shop who can service older imacs?

My late 2009 iMac's HD has finally conked out. The drive + the recovery partition can be detected if I hold the option key while booting but it just gets stuck in the apple logo boot screen.

I have a fully working clone of my iMac HD in an external drive (via Carbon Copy Cloner). I can also boot to it. When I try to perform first aid on the internal HD, it says it could not unmount it.

Regards,
    Lamski

2. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

Ynzal on Scout Rallos is the place to go. They have a website.

lamski likes this.
  3. lamski

Thanks for the tip. Called Ynzal and confirmed that they service older mac models. I also called Switch because they are closer to my location and they said they don't service outdated models.

4. jays0n

jays0n New Member

Go for ssd if the old HD can't be recovered anymore. :)

5. lamski

I've documented my efforts to rescue the old HD here: http://www.philmug.ph/community/posts/1492658/
    The old HD has been recovered from a recent CCC clone and it's working again. :)
    The drive's SMART status is marked as "failing". I'm planning on replacing it with a 2TB WB Red drive. :)

6. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Red Drives are for NAS and not desktop drives.

You may get unknown surprises, be warned.

I am in a similar situation as well with my 2012 iMac. Fusion Drive died and my iMac was bought 5 years and 2 months ago.

I was thinking of sticking a 12TB Seagate Barracuda Pro internal desktop drive or a 1TB Samsung 860 SSD.

If you are after a speed boost the best way is through maxing out RAM and putting in any SSD. Any SSD will be faster than the fastest HDD.

7. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

Did you consider recovering from a Time Machine copy instead? What's the advantage of CCC clone?

8. lamski

I recovered via CCC because it’s faster to restore from an external drive versus wireless restore. My Mac doesn’t have a wired connection. Restore via USB 2.0 still took 8 hours.

9. lamski

A few days ago, the internal HD finally gave up the ghost. No resurrections this time. There's audible clicking during boot-up and the drive could no longer be detected. Since the drive is essentially dead, the heat sensor could no longer get a reading on the drive and causes the internal fans to spin at max RPMs after a few minutes.

Took the iMac + replacement HDD to Senco Link this Thursday morning. They estimated that I would get it back on Monday.
    The technician noted that 2011 models and newer require "apple drives" and won't accept regular 3rd party HDDs. Says it has something to do with the temperature sensor.

It was a good thing that I kept the box and the packaging foam. It made it easier to transport. Just realized recently how heavy this model is.

10. Adarna

Adarna Well-Known Member

I bought the 2012 iMac equivalent part. Below is the 2009 iMac temperature sensor part

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMACHDD09/

lamski likes this.
  11. lamski

Got my unit back today! Fast and excellent service by Senco Link. Will restore the clone when I get back from the office. :)

12. JojitF

JojitF Member

How much did it cost?

13. lamski

It cost me 2,500 PHP for parts and service - the WD HD needed a different kind of heat sensor cable.