Looking for: Apple Keyboard A1048

Discussion in 'Apple Accessories & Peripherals' started by Verbl Kint, Sep 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Verbl Kint

Verbl Kint Member

[​IMG]

I've been looking for this keyboard since the start of the pandemic. I understand that a brand new one is likely impossible to find these days (this came out in 2003) so I'm cool with getting referred to a used one for sale. Hopefully, it's not overpriced and working fine. I don't mind if it's a little dirty as I think it should be easy enough to clean.

Any referrals would be much appreciated! Feel free to send an SMS (remember those?) to zero-nine-nine-nine-5-three-2-six-8-eighty-one if you have one you'd like to sell or give away.

[​IMG]

#1 Verbl Kint, Sep 30, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  2. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Ahhh, the good ole Apple A1048...

Hello friend, do you want it for collection purposes or you want one because you prefer this type of keyboard for use? If you plan to buy one for use, I suggest you buy a third-party alternative instead. There are a few great keyboards on the market with the same great look and feel as this Apple keyboard.

Here are three:

Macally Backlit Mechanical USB keyboard for Mac

https://us.macally.com/products/bmkey

This has probably the most similar-looking. Also, it has key backlighting.

[​IMG]

Matias Tactilepro for Mac

http://matias.ca/tactilepro4/

Another full-sized white keyboard but very clicky.

[​IMG]

Varmilo VA108M Mac

It does not have its own site, but this is probably the most expensive but most well made among the three. It has PBT keycaps, which means the keys do not become shiny and legends wear down with prolonged use. In fact, I have keyboards that are almost 20 years old with PBT caps they still look brand new. The keys have backlighting and the only board among the three here that uses genuine Cherry MX switches which are known for its durability and longevity.

[​IMG]

====

I own all three keyboards, so I have some first-hand experience. Amazon US has all three keyboards in stock. I brought them to the Philippines using a freight forwarder Johnny Air. Please feel free to Google to learn more about them. Among the three, the Varmilo is my personal favorite. If you do decide to get the Varmilo, I suggest getting one with the Cherry MX Silent Red switches because it has the closest feel to the original A1048 switches.

Unfortunately, all three of these keyboards are quite expensive but I suggest you invest in one because these are mechanical keyboards. These things should last you much much longer than the Apple A1048 keyboard (especially the Varmilo keyboard). These things should last you a lifetime, kaya in my opinion sulit siya.

The Apple A1048 is a membrane keyboard, so they are not very durable, and the keys wear out very quickly, especially if you type on it a lot. In 2003 or 2004, I used to do medical transcoding and translation as a part-time job and I would wear out my Apple A1048 in less than a year. I bought 3 of these, and all threw them out because the keys would stop working or would double input after a while. In fact, my frustration with the fragility of the A1048 is what made me switch to mechanical keyboards.

Please note I only recommended full-sized white keyboards to match the A1048 form and function. There are a lot more great keyboard alternatives to the stock Apple keyboards.

#2 Salaryman Ryan, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  3. Verbl Kint

Verbl Kint Member

Thanks for the recommendations. It's actually for my mom. :)

I offered her my Anne Pro white mechanical keyboard (gateron brown switches) but she asked me a favor if I could still get her the A1048 instead as she prefers it over a mechanical keyboard.

4. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

You can try ebay, you should find some there, maybe you can get lucky and get one in good condition, but I agree with Ryan, get her a new board with a Silent Red switch. For someone who is used to a mushy membrane keyboards this is the closest thing you could get in feel and weight unless you go Topre and its ilk. Also its just not worth importing an old Apple membrane board. You’ll probably pay more for the import fees than the board itself.

However my intuition tells me its not the switch feel that bothers your mom the most, Its probably because the Anne Pro is a 60% which requires a big adjustment coming from a 100% keyboard.

#4 Seven Leaves, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

I saw a few for sale in the FB Marketplace for P1500... you might want to check them out.

Verbl Kint likes this.
  6. Daughter of Pismo

Daughter of Pismo New Member

Thanks for this! I'm in the market of a new nice keyboard. Not a fan of the flat default Apple keyboard so looking for a more classic Mac keyboard. This is very helpful!

7. Verbl Kint

Verbl Kint Member

Thanks! I wasn't expecting it to be ₱1,500 (it's nearly 20 years old!) since that would already be a decent mechanical keyboard in Shopee/Lazada. I might go for 1k at best. :)

I'll see if I can convince my mother to try out another mechanical keyboard, instead, if the prices are still unrealistic in the second-hand market.

8. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

Personally, I would just give my mom a new mechanical keyboard even if it cost me a bit more as a gift than get her used 20-year-old keyboard that may not last very long. I bet the only reason why she like the A1048 is because she hasn't tried the new mechanicals yet.

Daughter of Pismo likes this.