Look up PLEX if you haven't yet! User roll call!

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by john edward, Oct 28, 2014.

1. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Plex is a server you setup or build at home that can host all your media... movies, TV shows, documentaries, music collection, personal pics and videos, etc. You're then able to watch them using any device you currently have, like Macs/PCs, streaming boxes, smart TVs, mobile devices, etc.

Plex owners are typically people with large collections of CD, VCD, DVD, and Blu-Ray that they can rip and then stored in a media library in Plex. They can then stream those media to any of their preferred devices, like you would Netflix or Spotify. They can do so locally or even when you're outside your home.

Plex Pass enables advanced features not available in the free version.

eag likes this.
  2. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Got the PlexPass too! Also transferred my Plex database from a Mac mini to a QNAP NAS. Hardware decoding is now a reality with the PlexPass. ;-)

3. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Anybody using DTT TV tuners that work with Plex? Was thinking of getting rid of our Skycable subscription and just use Plex's Live TV feature using a TV tuner, even with the limited digital TV channels.

4. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

does plex supports 4k hdr streaming if i will be using wd mycloudhome and apple tv 4k?

5. anchorite

anchorite Member

I have ditched my Plex server and went Emby instead.

6. oj88

Curious as to why you made that decision. What compelling reason brought you over to the other side of the fence?

7. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

I have both Plex Pass and Emby Premiere, both of them are good.

However these past few months, the Plex client on both our Android TVs got slower (opening the app, preloading media for playback). So I went back to my Emby instance and it was pretty quick imo.

UI can do some improvement (Plex is the clear winner here), but UX is fine for me. Plus, I can give external access to my colleagues and friends without them needing to sign up for an online account. I do not transcode as I always want direct playback only (my i7 CPU is only 4th gen), so I cannot comment on that part.

One thing I miss from Plex that is very useful for our family is the "Skip Intro" feature. While the "Next Episode" feature could do a little better on Emby. And oh, idle memory usage on Emby is also better.

oj88 likes this.
  8. oj88

Good points. We're running similar-gen hardware as mine's a Xeon E3-1285v4 (with Iris Pro P6300 iGPU) on a Z97 board. But I also have a 1050Ti discrete graphics for when even more transcoding is necessary.

I've kept access to my Plex library limited to immediate family members only, but the idea of being able to do ad hoc sharing seems nice. Can you share a specific content(s) only or are you limited to sharing at the library level like Plex does?

9. pepspeps

pepspeps Active Member

I think you can already do this in Plex via Single Item Share feature:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

While on Emby, it is pretty confusing. I haven't been able to make it work.

oj88 likes this.
  10. oj88

^ Wow, thanks! I haven't dropped by the Plex forums in a while and I didn't know that that feature already exists.

11. JMacalinao

JMacalinao Active Member

That "online account" thing was the main reason I stopped using Plex. I used to have Plex and my load balancer/reverse proxy set up such that it won't ask for credentials if requests came from the local network and I was fine with that, but then an update broke it. And it just so happens that around that time the internet went out, and we couldn't use it at all. I know there's a workaround for it, but to do it expecting Plex to ruin my config on a future update was such a hassle that I just gave up on it.

I migrated to Jellyfin (Emby fork) and never looked back. Local auth 4 lyf :ROFLMAO: Also, some apps could use some work, but the one for Android TV runs well.

pepspeps likes this.
  12. oj88

The iOS Plex app can still access the local server via IP address with just the Guest account. On Android, this wasn't the case.

These results may be skewed by the fact that my Android Plex app required activation (which wasn't a problem when I sign in my Plex Pass account).

13. zChris

zChris Active Member

Hmmm…. Haven’t seen this thread in years!

Wanted to let everyone know that my Plex Pass account (which I have had for many years) was hijacked a couple of weeks ago. One day, I could no longer log into my Plex account while I was doing some maintenance work. Doing a “Forgot Password” did not do anything as I did not receive the Forgot Password email.

I contacted Plex Pass support and they claimed that my email address had been recently changed and they sent me an email confirmation, which I did not receive. After a few back and forth emails wherein I was able to prove my ownership of the account, Plex restored my account.

While the whole episode ended well, this just made me realize that it is important to properly secure accounts, including setting up 2FA for Plex. Logging in now is a PITA but at least my account is secure. You guys may want to look into this as well to be safe.

14. oj88

^ Good reminder for all.

Months into the pandemic, I had time to enable pretty much every MFA on online sites I'm signed on to, if it's available. Whether you'll accept it or not, some of your credentials are floating around on the web/dark web and it doesn't take much effort for anyone reasonably persistent and motivated to find and use them.