Look up PLEX if you haven't yet! User roll call!

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by john edward, Oct 28, 2014.

1. pael

pael Well-Known Member

alright thanks. I will also try to reset the iPad and see if that fixes things. Frankly, the iPad 1 is only usable for video watching, so I really need to make this work so it won't be a paper weight. Old Safari crashes on almost all websites, and the email client is not compatible with Gmail (because of security holes).

2. pael

pael Well-Known Member

old thread, but i am considering getting plex pass - the most interesting function for me will be DVR recording. anyone who has implemented this in the PH setting?

if yes, i have several questions:

1. what isdb-t tv tuner you used that is compatible with your mac-based plex media server?
    2. does plex pass 'detect' the programming information of local isdb-t channels?

3. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Not that I need setting up the DVR anytime soon, but I'm also interested in this for what it is worth. There's just not enough good shows worth watching (this is just me talking), much less, recording on the local channels. Couple that with the unending supply of media from Cignal, Plex, Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube, etc., there's just not enough time in the world to run out of videos to watch.

But it's quite apparent that you do have a reason.

Anyway, I'm sure you know that there's no official support for ISDB-T receivers as of now from what I can tell, but you can still risk it by getting a cheap USB ISDB-T receiver to try it out. Even if it doesn't work out with Plex, you can still use it as a standalone on a computer or laptop. I do apologize but I don't have any experience with ISDB-T receivers to say if all of them can read program information. Though, I'm willing to go out on a limb that digital TV receivers in general should be able to get them. I haven't seen an STB ISDB-T receiver that can't receive this information so I'm pretty confident that this ability is standard on ANY digital TV receiver. Whether or not Plex will work with the receiver, much less see the programs, is a different story.

Realizing that you're running PMS on a Mac, this potentially cuts down on the number of supported receivers even further. What a predicament.

Sincerely though, good luck on your adventure.

#83 oj88, Sep 23, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  4. oj88

3rd week in isolation, I've finally mustered up the courage to migrate from Windows Home Server 2011 (up since 2012) to Windows Server 2019. I've been putting this off for years because I was busy. With the ECQ however, I ran out of things to do and excuses.

Plex is particularly happy in its new home.

[​IMG]

5. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Our Plex server is a 2014 Mac mini. Shared accounts with my parents and sister so they can stream all our movies and shows for free. They don't have Netflix, instead they have NetPlex. ;-)

6. oj88

Same here. I created individual accounts for each family member... from my kids, wife, my siblings with their respective wives, and our parents. That way, we each have our own personal viewing profile.

7. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Have you installed Tautulli? Since I don't have Plex Pass, I use Tautulli to monitor who is watching what in real time, and to find out the popular movies and shows being watched. Pretty detailed stats for a free tool. ;-)

https://tautulli.com

oj88 likes this.
  8. oj88

No i haven’t. Might take a look at it, thanks!

Not sure if it’s available to non-Pass, but in the Dashboard, you can see who is watching what, along with their progress, details like whether the stream is Direct Play, transcoding (software or hardware), and a few other details... but only in real time. I don’t see historical stats, so that free tool might come in handy.

9. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Yes, I see that too. Tautulli is way better. It's like being Big Brother to your Plex users. ;-)

10. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

Any Converge users using Plex Pass? My Remote Access is always Not Available Outside your Network. Any help? Thanks!

11. oj88

Remote Access requires you to do port-forwarding on your router which is doing NAT. But that will only work if the IP address your router is getting is public/routable.

Converge, AFAIK, uses CGNAT for their consumer plans. That said, doing port-forwarding on just your router won't cut it, unfortunately.

scoflip likes this.
  12. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Plex remote access still worked for me even thought I didn't port forward before. Or maybe it's because I have a static IP from Globe Fiber?

13. oj88

If you didn't manually specify a static port, Plex will use UPnP to automatically configure your firewall to open up and forward whatever port it needs.

However, it is universally known that enabling UPnP is a big security risk. Though, everyone has their own security tolerances, I just don't like the idea that any app or device gets to choose who or what to let in through my firewall.

14. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

UPnP is turned off on my router. I had a double-NAT set-up once and Plex wasn't reachable from outside, only thru the LAN. So I turned on bridged mode on the modem and used my Mac mini Untangle server as my main router.

15. oj88

Interesting.

Are you now getting a proper public IP after bridging your CPE? Alternatively, is the WAN IP address acquired by Untangle the same as when you google "What's my IP"?

16. oj88

Lately, my Plex server has been struggling with hardware transcoding, most likely due to the growth of my 4K collection, I guess. The 4th gen Intel i5 IGP just wasn't up to snuff anymore so a couple of months ago, against my better judgment, I bought a Quadro P400, hoping that a workstation-class GPU would be a significant upgrade. Unfortunately, it was only marginally better than the IGP.... and it's taking up a PCIe x16 slot.

So, I decided to look for a video card that can bring me high yield at a very low cost.... a used GTX1050 Ti.
    [​IMG]

It will replace this lackluster Quadro P400. I'll probably just have to repurpose this for something else, or put it up for sale.
    [​IMG]

17. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this now. ;-) And yes, I get the same static IP in UT and on my local machines. Glad my content is mostly 1080p, with the newer ones encoded in H265 so I don't have your transcoding issues. ;-)