Look up PLEX if you haven't yet! User roll call!

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by john edward, Oct 28, 2014.

1. scoflip

scoflip Well-Known Member

How can I know sir if it's public or private? I'm getting 192.168.0.100-500 range while using the router.

2. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I think you got the range wrong but that's enough info to determine that you're getting a private IP, which is unfortunate. Suffice to say, you won't be able to publish your PMS on the internet.

3. scoflip

That sucks. Anyway, thanks for the help.

4. zChris

zChris Active Member

^ Did you try this:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138

I have a static IP now so everything works fine for me but I remember upon first setup that I was able to access the PMS from outside my network as well. I think I just needed to login with my Plex account and setup a connection to myplex on the plex website or something like that.

Otherwise, have you tried out the ddns route? That may help.

Having said that, setting that up was more of a proof of concept exercise for me as my ISP uplink is only 1 mbps and content is in HD so I couldnt really watch properly.

5. scoflip

yes sir, tried everything on the support page and still no luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ramil

ramil Active Member

I've just discovered that there is already a Plex Media Server app for the WD My Cloud. I just installed it yesterday, and it started to sort out my media files.

Plex Media Server Now Available On WD’s My Cloud NAS Series

If I have media files stored in different hard drives, is it necessary to consolidate them into one hard drive so Plex can recognize them? Or, can Plex go through multiple hard drives and directories?

7. oj88

Based on the above screencap, your WAN is on 103.x.x.x, which means it is most likely a public IP address. Now, the port-forward settings seems correct so you just need to make sure that both the router and server firewalls are allowing TCP/UDP port 32400.

Also, are you using DDNS or such so Plex.tv will be able to resolve to the correct 103.x.x.x IP address back to your home network?

On the full version of PMS, you can add multiple directories for all categories (ie. Movies, Music, TV Shows, etc.). No need to consolidate files to a single drive.

So for example, if you have the following drives/directories where the actual Movie files are stored, you just add them;

D:\Movies
    E:\Shaun's Videos\All Movies

With the example above, all movies from both drives/directories will be consolidated in Plex' GUI.

8. Bohica1925

Bohica1925 Member

After reading this thread, I DL'ed and installed Plex. It took me a few minutes to navigate and quickly get a handle of the basic tasks - adding a channel, pointing to where my media is located. Once that is done, I opened up my Bravia and voila! My TV immediately picked-up "PLEX Media Server". It was a no-brainer from there.

Since HD space is a premium for my MBP, I transferred videos to an external WD HDD. Added up another channel to PLEX. Effortless.

One problem though, is that subtitles are not coming out. If I play the movies via VLC on my MBP, the subtitles are present. But when I play it on TV, the subtitles are not there anymore. Any suggestion?

Cheers!

9. wem272

wem272 Active Member

Downloaded Plex and it sorted my media and my recordings locally. I have my computer recording certain tv shows on cable and radio. Radio Fm was unrecognized while video streaming was flawless to my ios device on apple tv.

Thanks guys for the recommendation!

10. Simbadda

Simbadda Active Member

Plex's user forums got hacked. Affected users will get an e-mail informing them that their accounts are affected, requiring them a password change.

11. scoflip

How to minimize the lag while watching something on my Smart TV? Processor ba ang important?

12. oj88

^ Can you explain how you're experiencing those lags? Also, how long is this lag? Are your media frequently being buffered?

Plex Media Server does real-time video transcoding which is processor-intensive on the server side. Check if the server meets Plex' system requirements for the kind of video resolution or complexity that you have and the number of concurrent streams that you do. You'd also want to see if there's an app running on the server that's taking too much of the processor's time.

A dodgy network can also cause playback performance issues as well.

I recently tried streaming to 7 devices at the same time. I have more devices but these are all I could fit on the ottoman.

As more devices starts streaming, the initial buffering get marginally longer. But once the videos starts playing, I don't get any re-buffering issues.

Roku 3
    iPad Air
    iPad 2 x 2
    iPad 1
    Android tablet
    Android phone

The server is a 5 y/o rig (on 24x7) sporting an outdated AMD Athlon II X4 630 with 8GB RAM. Except for the Roku 3, all the other devices are on WiFi using legacy 802.11g (54 mbps).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

aldwin likes this.
  13. scoflip

Hi Sir, some movie files are lagging when they transcode on the Smart TV (Samsung). All direct playing movies are fine. Do you think it's my processor or router (D-Link 850-L) that's causing this problem? My current set-up is NAS mapped to PC (primary PMS) and Smart TV connected to router via Wi-Fi. All movies are fine on any other device (iPhone, iPad, PS4). I'm only having problems on our Smart TV and I can't find the culprit. I even tried a wired connection but still sluggish on certain movies.

#73 scoflip, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  14. dakilang_waiter

dakilang_waiter Active Member

Can I use the features of Plex with just an Android TV dongle where our external HDD with media files is also connected?

15. iJav

iJav Active Member

Good News! Just got this mail from Plex..

"After some quality time with our Plex Pass members as an early preview, our Android TV and smart TV apps are available to everyone absolutely free, joining the ranks of our other free big screen apps like Roku, Tivo, Chromecast, and Xbox 360! The apps include filtering and sorting for rich content discovery, Plex Companion for casting, flinging, and remote control, as well as support for Plex Channels. In addition, you can watch TV show episodes back to back and play trailers before a movie for that genuine theater feel. The apps also support advanced Plex Pass features, like parental controls, premium music features, trailers and extras and more!"

16. john edward

john edward Member

17. john edward

john edward Member

You need a PC/Mac/NAS to act as server to all your devices/ clients.

18. pael

pael Well-Known Member

after i upgraded the PMS several months ago, Plex on my iPad 1 is not working anymore. It seems the iPad 1 can detect the server but it does not display the channels like it used to before. Care to share what are your PMS and Plex App versions?

19. john edward

john edward Member

If you're playing 4GB files and over stay on a wired giga Ethernet connection.

Some new updates have bugs too but they're fixed quickly. I suspect that like Apple TV plex uses the Internet to a degree. If your internet is problematic that can contribute as well.

You're PC/Mac used for the server side shouldn't be simultaneously doing heavy processing while you're watching big files since your machine transcodes your shows.

20. oj88

I'm out of town right now and will be back on Friday so I can't give you version details. But suffice to say, I'm running the latest version of PMS (updated just a few days ago), as well as the last Plex client version that works with iOS 5.1.1. This iPad 1 is being used by my daughter but from what I saw yesterday, she was able to watch Plex media on the said device.

If there were issues, she'd be running to me for tech support. :)

First thing I'd do is to check the firewall settings on the PMS. Also validate that the Plex client is configured to the same port PMS is listening to.

#80 oj88, Nov 4, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2015